Author Topic: Romney tries to win over Florida  (Read 1436 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Romney tries to win over Florida
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:09:41 AM »
Posted on Sat, Feb. 17, 2007
Romney tries to win over Florida
BY BETH REINHARD
breinhard@MiamiHerald.com
LADY LAKE - He's been the most aggressive presidential candidate in Florida so far, and he's got to be.

Three out of four voters don't know Mitt Romney, and only 6 percent favor him over better-known rivals like John McCain and Rudy Giuliani, according to a recent Quinnipiac University poll.

But by racing to be the first presidential candidate of either party to make a public splash in Florida, Romney sent a message to the nation's largest battleground state.

''It's hard to imagine a Republican being president without carrying Florida,'' he told reporters Friday night after addressing a standing-room-only crowd at The Villages, a sprawling retirement community in central Florida.

Romney charmed many seniors with his energetic speaking style, professed love for his ''sweetheart'' wife of 37 years, and conservative philosophy touting smaller government. He showed poise when a heckler attacked him for being a Mormon: ``You sir, you are a pretender. You do not know the Lord.''

The audience booed the heckler.

''One of the great things about this land is that we have people of different faiths and different religions, but we need to have a person of faith lead the country,'' he said, as the audience gave him a standing ovation.

The incident reinforced the hurdle a little-known candidate from a little-understood religious background faces in winning over the Christian conservatives who can sway GOP primaries. Romney, McCain and Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas were slated to attend an Orlando convention of the National Religious Broadcasters this weekend. McCain will also make a public appearance at a Vero Beach church tomorrow.

. . .

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/nation/16724016.htm

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Romney tries to win over Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »
Romney is not a consistent man.

We need a consistent president.  Romney's positions have not evolved either.  They have flipflopped when it benefits him politically.  I honestly have no clue what he really believes, and what he's only saying to get elected.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »
All I can say is Thank Goodness you'all have paper ballots again.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »
Ohio 2004 had paper ballot backups.

The Republicans have been suing for over two years now to prevent these ballots from being counted.

Shady fckers.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:30:28 AM »
Romney charmed many seniors with his energetic speaking style, professed love for his ''sweetheart'' wife of 37 years, and conservative philosophy touting smaller government. He showed poise when a heckler attacked him for being a Mormon: ``You sir, you are a pretender. You do not know the Lord.''

The audience booed the heckler.

''One of the great things about this land is that we have people of different faiths and different religions, but we need to have a person of faith lead the country,'' he said, as the audience gave him a standing ovation.

The incident reinforced the hurdle a little-known candidate from a little-understood religious background faces in winning over the Christian conservatives who can sway GOP primaries.

This is the part I found most interesting.  I'm not sure how conservatives will view the fact he is a Mormon.  

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 10:30:49 AM »
Ohio 2004 had paper ballot backups.

The Republicans have been suing for over two years now to prevent these ballots from being counted.

Shady Liberal fckers.

There, fixed it for ya.  :P
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 10:34:42 AM »
This is the part I found most interesting.  I'm not sure how conservatives will view the fact he is a Mormon.  

If he can paint the consistent pictures from the LDS pr campaign he'll be fine.
If conservatives started delving into Mormon rites and belief systems, he'll need no less than a publicly televised Evangelical Christian exorcism to get their votes.
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 10:45:01 AM »
Romney is not a consistent man.

We need a consistent president.  Romney's positions have not evolved either.  They have flipflopped when it benefits him politically.  I honestly have no clue what he really believes, and what he's only saying to get elected.

That’s his problem.  A change in position is fine when it is the result of critical thinking and evolution… but Romney is a flip flopper for political gain.  :(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »
If he can paint the consistent pictures from the LDS pr campaign he'll be fine.
If conservatives started delving into Mormon rites and belief systems, he'll need no less than a publicly televised Evangelical Christian exorcism to get their votes.

I don't know.  I think Mormons are okay.  They have some beliefs and practices that are . . . different, but also some that are very consistent with mainstream Christianity.