Author Topic: Sen. John McCain: 'I Do Not Support Roe v. Wade'  (Read 1666 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Sen. John McCain: 'I Do Not Support Roe v. Wade'
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »
McCain running hard right along with Rudy.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Feb. 18: Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., speaks during a campaign stop in Spartanburg, S.C.
Republican presidential candidate John McCain, looking to improve his standing with the party's conservative voters, said Sunday the court decision that legalized abortion should be overturned.

"I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned," the Arizona senator told about 800 people in South Carolina, one of the early voting states.

McCain also vowed that if elected, he would appoint judges who "strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States and do not legislate from the bench."

The landmark 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade effectively legalized abortion in the U.S. The Supreme Court has narrowly upheld the decision, with the presence of an increasing number of more conservative justices on the court raising the possibility that abortion rights would be limited.

Social conservatives are a critical voting bloc in the GOP presidential primaries.

McCain's campaign also announced early Sunday that he had been endorsed by former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating, who had been considering his own bid for the White House, and former Texas Sen. Phil Gramm, who failed in his bid for the Republican nomination in 1996.

McCain Preaches More War As Son Prepares for Iraq Deployment Eye on '08: Endorsement Fight Continues Among Romney, McCain, Giuliani Keating told the crowd that McCain is the "only candidate who is a true-blue, Ronald Reagan conservative."

McCain later attended an evening rally promoting an abstinence program. He told the crowd of more than 1,000 teens and parents that young people have pressures far different from the ones he faced while growing up. "Sometimes I've made the wrong choice," McCain said.

He also talked about his experience as a prisoner of war during Vietnam, and described some of the torture he suffered. His captors "wanted to make us do things that we otherwise wouldn't do," including confessing to war crimes, McCain said.

He and fellow prisoners were beat up for practicing their religion, but they continued to do it. "Sometimes it is very difficult to do the right thing," he said.

McCain has strong name recognition and the largest network of supporters in South Carolina. That backing comes in part from his staunch support for the Iraq war, something on which he focused a day earlier in Iowa. But it's the same state that dealt a crushing blow to his presidential aspirations in 2000.

McCain is trying to build support among conservatives after a recent rebuke from Christian leader James Dobson, who said he wouldn't back McCain's presidential bid. Conservatives question McCain's opposition to a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. He opposes same-sex marriage, but says it should be regulated by the states.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252699,00.html

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: Sen. John McCain: 'I Do Not Support Roe v. Wade'
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:19:10 AM »
If he thought it would get him the Jeebus vote, he'd say he doesn't support gravity.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:44:08 AM »
If this ends up being McCain vs. Hillary, why even vote...  they both suck.  >:(
Ron: "I am lazy."

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:05:16 AM »
McCain running hard right along with Rudy.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Feb. 18: Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., speaks during a campaign stop in Spartanburg, S.C.
Republican presidential candidate John McCain, looking to improve his standing with the party's conservative voters, said Sunday the court decision that legalized abortion should be overturned.

"I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned," the Arizona senator told about 800 people in South Carolina, one of the early voting states.

McCain also vowed that if elected, he would appoint judges who "strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States and do not legislate from the bench."

The landmark 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade effectively legalized abortion in the U.S. The Supreme Court has narrowly upheld the decision, with the presence of an increasing number of more conservative justices on the court raising the possibility that abortion rights would be limited.

Social conservatives are a critical voting bloc in the GOP presidential primaries.

McCain's campaign also announced early Sunday that he had been endorsed by former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating, who had been considering his own bid for the White House, and former Texas Sen. Phil Gramm, who failed in his bid for the Republican nomination in 1996.

McCain Preaches More War As Son Prepares for Iraq Deployment Eye on '08: Endorsement Fight Continues Among Romney, McCain, Giuliani Keating told the crowd that McCain is the "only candidate who is a true-blue, Ronald Reagan conservative."

McCain later attended an evening rally promoting an abstinence program. He told the crowd of more than 1,000 teens and parents that young people have pressures far different from the ones he faced while growing up. "Sometimes I've made the wrong choice," McCain said.

He also talked about his experience as a prisoner of war during Vietnam, and described some of the torture he suffered. His captors "wanted to make us do things that we otherwise wouldn't do," including confessing to war crimes, McCain said.

He and fellow prisoners were beat up for practicing their religion, but they continued to do it. "Sometimes it is very difficult to do the right thing," he said.

McCain has strong name recognition and the largest network of supporters in South Carolina. That backing comes in part from his staunch support for the Iraq war, something on which he focused a day earlier in Iowa. But it's the same state that dealt a crushing blow to his presidential aspirations in 2000.

McCain is trying to build support among conservatives after a recent rebuke from Christian leader James Dobson, who said he wouldn't back McCain's presidential bid. Conservatives question McCain's opposition to a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. He opposes same-sex marriage, but says it should be regulated by the states.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252699,00.html

he's scored some points for me now. 

i hope he stands by those statements.
W

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »
I couldn't improve on this Metafilter comment on the story...

<< McCain and Romney have had their abortion revelation. Guiliani will be next. They're men. They're old men. They're old rich men. They have no personal stake in women's lives and women's bodies and no problems in that realm that they can't throw enough money at to make go away. They are all craven enough to throw women in front of the train if it gets them the power that they think that they deserve. >>

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 10:41:31 AM »
WTF?

Please tell me there will be a Republican who supports abortions?

Why, why, why?

I honestly thought McCain was the guy!

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 11:50:27 AM »

You mean when they talked about the conservative principle of opposing government interference in private medical decisions, you actually took them seriously?

Smell the protein powder, man.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 12:01:16 PM »

he's scored some points for me now. 

i hope he stands by those statements.

LOL

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 12:04:23 PM »
The saddest part is that so many Americans are goaded each election year into thinking that abortion is an issue worth discussing.  Who freaken cares?  Sheesh.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
WTF?

Why, why, why?

I honestly thought McCain was the guy!

-Hedge

There are plenty of them.  They probably just cannot be elected president.  Our Republican Governor Linda Lingle is pro choice.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
The saddest part is that so many Americans are goaded each election year into thinking that abortion is an issue worth discussing.  Who freaken cares?  Sheesh.

The millions of women who have abortions and the millions who believe this is a fight to protect unborn children. 

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »

Have you seen some of those Pro-Life nutjobs? They're everywhere and curiously they don't really care about what happens to the baby after it's born but they sure as hell want to make sure it is born.  ::)

I particularly love it when the majority of the protestors holding those pathetic signs are men. On a curious side note I don't believe a man has had an abortion yet.

I too am disappointed in McCain's stance. He seems to be growing desperate and will say whatever he thinks will get him the nomination.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »
I too am disappointed in McCain's stance. He seems to be growing desperate and will say whatever he thinks will get him the nomination.

It's pathetic at this point.  Every other day it's a position shift.  How can anyone believe his position on Issue D when he's shifed positions on A, B, C in the last month?  I wouldn't vote him for local city council with this many positions changes.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 06:48:18 PM »
It's pathetic at this point.  Every other day it's a position shift.  How can anyone believe his position on Issue D when he's shifed positions on A, B, C in the last month?  I wouldn't vote him for local city council with this many positions changes.

I'm not giving up on him yet but it's getting harder and harder to defend him. If he completely goes over the edge I have no idea who I'm voting for. I wouldn't vote for Hillary if she paid me to. I wonder what Ralph Nader or Steve Forbes are doing?