Author Topic: Can we afford to treat prisoners humanely when the nation is at stake?  (Read 1526 times)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
"Should any American soldier be so base and infamous as to injure any [prisoner] ... I do most earnestly enjoin you to bring him to such severe and exemplary punishment as the enormity of the crime may require. Should it extend to death itself, it will not be disproportional to its guilt at such a time and in such a cause... for by such conduct they bring shame, disgrace and ruin to themselves and their country," - George Washington, charge to the Northern Expeditionary Force, Sept. 14, 1775.

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2007/02/tale-of-two-georges.html

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Re: Can we afford to treat prisoners humanely when the nation is at stake?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 01:48:47 PM »
prisoners of war are not terrorists who target civilians and would love to detonate WMD's on our soil. 

YOur missing the point, uniformed enemies do not get tortured and should not.   
Valhalla awaits.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »
prisoners of war are not terrorists who target civilians and would love to detonate WMD's on our soil. 

YOur missing the point, uniformed enemies do not get tortured and should not.  

Please name one war where the enemy went out of their way to spare American civilians.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »
Please name one war where the enemy went out of their way to spare American civilians.

Is this a trick question?   :)  When was the last time we had a war on American soil? 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 06:17:54 PM »
Is this a trick question?   :)  When was the last time we had a war on American soil? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:49:49 PM »
Is this a trick question?   :)  When was the last time we had a war on American soil? 

The war on Terror, silly.

George Stinky Bush

• Getbig IV
  • Whose down with OPP
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:52:40 PM »
Transfats are the new enemy. Terrorists are out.
young hov

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:41 PM »
The War on the Left.  That's what it is now.  Today I broke some old man's left arm.  I'm a hero.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 11:40:34 PM »
The war on Terror, silly.

::)  "Please name one war where the enemy went out of their way to spare American civilians." 

So this referred to the war on terror.  Okay.   ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 01:32:48 AM »
The Guantanamo Bay Prison and Aby Ghraib is a disgusting, shameful act who isn't worthy of our Western Civilization.

The only reason why we allow it to continue, is because so many of us are fooled to believe that the prisoners held there are:

1. Treated humanely

2. Guilty

I-One for example has expressed that the conditions are rather too good down there. Why would he do that? Not because he thinks up a lie like that himself, obviously. But rather, because the media feeds us these lies.

I suggest you all read about the conditions of these prisoners. Their cells are light 24/7, they don't have any blanket, periodically the air condition is turned on to get the temperature real low.

They spend their days in this cell, except for when they are interrogated.

It will all come out, sooner or later, though. The question is if we're prepared to hear that our leaders ordered torture of these men?

As far as the "guilty" part goes... Why the fcuk would these men be kept from any form of trial if they are guilty?

Consider this: All citizens of Western countries have been released. Even though all those persons were Muslims, their citizenship in other Western countries forced the Bush administration to produce evidence to keep them in Guantanamo.

And there were none.

So they were all released.

All of them.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 07:41:53 AM »
As far as the "guilty" part goes... Why the fcuk would these men be kept from any form of trial if they are guilty?

Why deal in hypotheticals?

Dozens of these "worst of the worst" have already been released when we finally figured out - after several years of "aggressive interrogation" - that they were completely innocent patsies who had been foisted on us by Afghan warlords who wanted to con us out of the bounty we were offering.

Nice decidin' there, Chimpy.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 07:49:28 AM »

Out of their way?  Americans go too far out of their way to spare civilians IMO.  As for enemies going out of their way to "spare" civilians, that has nothing to do with targeting civilians
Valhalla awaits.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 08:12:48 AM »
Why deal in hypotheticals?

Dozens of these "worst of the worst" have already been released when we finally figured out - after several years of "aggressive interrogation" - that they were completely innocent patsies who had been foisted on us by Afghan warlords who wanted to con us out of the bounty we were offering.

Nice decidin' there, Chimpy.

You are getting to crucial point in this mess - that the people handed over to the US military was random people, caught by warlords wanting bounty money.

The question is when everyone will wake up and realize this.

Treating terrorists bad is one thing.

But doing it to innocent people for 6+ years, ruining their lives?

This is beyond fcuked up.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise