Author Topic: Are actors overpaid?  (Read 5985 times)

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
Are actors overpaid?
« on: February 24, 2007, 12:24:03 AM »
Denzels new movie American Gangsta, whick looks awesome mind you has netted him 40 million clams!!!

because:

Apparently this film was supposed to be shot a while ago but production was shut down. Denzel had a clause in his contract which allowed him to be paid regardless...$20 million!! Of course production has now resumed and, guess what? Denzel pockets another $20 million!!

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
Re: Are actors overpaid?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:24:49 AM »
no :-\
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:28:05 AM »

20 millions and + because like if its not enough they want % on the movie sales, keanu reeve is a good exemple with the matrix
are you delusional?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 03:38:19 PM »
Denzels new movie American Gangsta, whick looks awesome mind you has netted him 40 million clams!!!

because:

Apparently this film was supposed to be shot a while ago but production was shut down. Denzel had a clause in his contract which allowed him to be paid regardless...$20 million!! Of course production has now resumed and, guess what? Denzel pockets another $20 million!!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. More power to him! He should have been paid.

Actors like Denzel are more than mere actors. There are entire economies that revolve around their decisions.

If he agrees to accept a project, he is contracturally obligated to block out that portion of time on his calendar and to turn down ALL other offers. If a project falls through through no fault of his own, ...he is screwed. he has committed that time to them and is reuired to turn down all other work. It happens all the time, ...and I too have demanded compensation for cancelled and or delayed work.

At $20 million a pic, ...I'd say Denzel was underpaid, ...considering everything he brings to the table.
w

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 03:52:16 PM »
Yes, actors are akin to liars. A Lair tries to convince you that they are telling the truth. A Actor tries to convince you that they are a certain character. The better the lair, the more convincing they are. The better the actor, the more convincing they are.

They are entertainers, point blank, nothing more. They haven't contributed to the world like, Newton, Einstein, Martin, Gandhi,etc.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:08:51 AM »
Yes, actors are akin to liars. A Lair tries to convince you that they are telling the truth. A Actor tries to convince you that they are a certain character. The better the lair, the more convincing they are. The better the actor, the more convincing they are.

They are entertainers, point blank, nothing more. They haven't contributed to the world like, Newton, Einstein, Martin, Gandhi,etc.

Actually Parker, I disagree. Actors aren't paid to lie, ...they're paid to reveal the truth... the truth about who their characters are.

The more truth they convey... the more they connect to people. artists contribute to the world. Their contribution is different from Newtons or Einsteins, but it's a contribution nonetheless. Artists inspire, they touch the hearts and minds of man, ...help us to understand our world... ourselves... and convey the human experience. Don't discount the artists. Governments never do. That's why all dictatorships will first crack down on the artists and the intellectuals.

"One of the first moves of a dictatorship is to stifle the artists and thinkers who have the ability to stir up dissent from any prescribed dogma which might enslave them." --Uta Hagen
w

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:54 AM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. More power to him! He should have been paid.

Actors like Denzel are more than mere actors. There are entire economies that revolve around their decisions.

If he agrees to accept a project, he is contracturally obligated to block out that portion of time on his calendar and to turn down ALL other offers. If a project falls through through no fault of his own, ...he is screwed. he has committed that time to them and is reuired to turn down all other work. It happens all the time, ...and I too have demanded compensation for cancelled and or delayed work.

At $20 million a pic, ...I'd say Denzel was underpaid, ...considering everything he brings to the table.

you speak about this old dude like he's an enigma

he's just someones brother, son...friend.i agree he's good at what he does...however a decent support team makes him look even better. A good director/editor/supporting cast can make anyones acting look awesome.

he's not an artist...he reads some shit and makes some faces...cries on que...yadda yadda.

fuck youre an over dramatic sumbitch jag

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 04:29:25 PM »
you speak about this old dude like he's an enigma

he's just someones brother, son...friend.i agree he's good at what he does...however a decent support team makes him look even better. A good director/editor/supporting cast can make anyones acting look awesome.

he's not an artist...he reads some shit and makes some faces...cries on que...yadda yadda.

fuck youre an over dramatic sumbitch jag

yes, you need a good support team, however Denzel IS an Artist. (notice I capitalized the A)  :D

He's an amzaing ARTIST, and if you ever saw him in action, on the job, you'd agree.

When I refer to entire economies, I'm talking about an entire project that doesn't get made unless he says yes.
Then there are countless millions made all over, simply because he said YES. I'm not just talking box office either, before it even gets to the theatres. The entire infrastructure that goes into making a film. Studios make money, car rentals, cell phone rentals, office equipment, lumber yards, etc, ...not to even mention the hundreds if not thousands of people who all make a little bit during the making etc. that's even BEFORE the box office.

All I know is, if a guy like Denzel commits to a project, and contracturally keeps his calendar clear, refusing all other projects during a set period of time... if they back out of filmimg...he should be paid. Courtesy holds can get a performer evicted and eating out of garbage cans.
w

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »
Once again Jag is trying to make acting more than it really is.  Just like she did with ProaArgin9 (how's that working for you nowadays)

I suppose actors are just being "compensated" (as you would put it) for doing something they would normally do anyways.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 05:56:06 PM »
I should get into this acting thing is what it means.  :o

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 08:46:58 PM »
Sadly enough Havenbull, ...many actors WOULD work for free, ...that's how bad they need to express themselves. Thank Goodness we have strong unions that says actors are gonna get paid. If not for that, ...many actors would work for free.  :-\
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 08:54:39 PM »
I should get into this acting thing is what it means.  :o

Whoa... slow your roll there BerzerkFury. Not everyone makes Denzel salary.
Denzel and those like him bring something extra to the table, for which they deserve to be properly compensated. Most actors are regular blue collar folks... most of whom you've never heard of. In LA, the majority of them are waiting tables, and going years without work. When they do work, it's a big pay day, ...but it's often just enough to cover all the debts and bills that have mounted up in the past 3 years. Once the slate is clean, they start fresh, ...pounding the pavements again, wracking up bills, scrimping pennies for the next 3 yrs until their next gig.  :P

The fate of a working actor isn't as perilous, but it's nowhere near the glamourous life the tabloids would have you believe. You're confusing being an actor with being a "star"... there's a huge difference. Not all actors are stars, ...and not all stars are actors. (I could be mean and name a few names here... but I won't) Madonna :P
w

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 01:08:31 AM »
Most actors are regular blue collar folks... most of whom you've never heard of. In LA, the majority of them are waiting tables, and going years without work.

thats what your waiter told you?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 01:21:21 AM »
thats what your waiter told you?

This is true... I get steak served to me by the "Next big thing" at least every other week.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 05:42:25 PM »
ok, ...don't believe me.  ::)
w

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 11:57:36 PM »
what did i learn about film making in the 80's?
That if Sylvester stallone's name was attached to movie it would be made..True story

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 12:09:30 AM »

I like Denzel, great actor, but dont believe his worth $20million, if thats what his getting then im happy for him, but his movies dont generate close to 100M in the box office last movie to so over 100M was Remember the Titans in 2000 it made $115,654,741, last year Inside man made $88,513,495M domestic...nevertheless the studios think otherwise and pay him, good for him

....Will smith is someone who deserves 20M and more and most likely does get more, all his flicks gross over 100M and are best selling DVD's, he must make a mint in residuals for Fresh prince of belair, not to mention Bad boys and Bad boys are still hot items at DVD stores

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 04:07:42 AM »
ok, ...don't believe me.  ::)

why would i start now?

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 08:25:47 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-paid_actors

No.    Title    Actor    Summary    Est. Total    Notes
1.    The Matrix Reloaded/The Matrix Revolutions    Keanu Reeves    $30 million + 15 % of the gross    $206 million    
2.    The Sixth Sense    Bruce Willis    $14 million + (14?) % of the gross    $100 million    
3.    War of the Worlds    Tom Cruise    20 % profit particpation    $100 million    
4.    Mission: Impossible II    Tom Cruise    SAG scale + 30 % of box office and TV licensing and 30 % of DVD and Video gross based on 40 % royalty ($1.80 per DVD)[1]    $92 million    
5.    Forrest Gump    Tom Hanks    SAG scale + profit participation    $70 million    
6.    Mission: Impossible    Tom Cruise    SAG scale + 22 % of gross after costs deducted[2]    $70 million    
7.    Batman    Jack Nicholson    Unspecified guarantee + % of gross and merchandise    $60 million    
8.    Saving Private Ryan    Tom Hanks    Profit participation    $40 million    
9.    Titanic    Leonardo DiCaprio    $10 millions + % of gross    $40 millions    
10.    Lethal Weapon 4    Mel Gibson    $30 million    $30 million    
11.    Ocean's Eleven    Brad Pitt    $10 million + $20 million profit participation    $30 million    
12.    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $29.25 million + $1.5 million for perks + 20 % of all income based on 100 % royalties once gross has passed $150 million domestic or $380 million worldwide[3]    Over $29.25 million[1]    
13.    I, Robot    Will Smith    $28 million + 10 % to 20 % of gross    Over $28 million[2]    
14.    Minority Report    Tom Cruise    $25 million + % of gross    Over $25 million    
15.    The Last Samurai    Tom Cruise    $25 million + % of gross    Over $25 million    
16.    Anger Management    Adam Sandler    $25 million against 25 % of gross    Over $25 million[3]    
17.    Austin Powers in Goldmember    Mike Myers    $25 million against 21 % of gross    Over $25 million[4]    
18.    K-19: The Widowmaker    Harrison Ford    $25 million + 20 % of gross    Over $25 million[5]    
19.    Batman & Robin    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $25 million    $25 million    
20.    End of Days    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $25 million    $25 million    
21.    The Patriot    Mel Gibson    $25 million    $25 million    
22.    The 6th Day    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $25 million    $25 million    
23.    Signs    Mel Gibson    $25 million    $25 million    
24.    We Were Soldiers    Mel Gibson    $25 million    $25 million    
25.    Collateral Damage    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $25 million    $25 million    
26.    Bruce Almighty    Jim Carrey    $25 million    $25 million    
27.    The Pink Panther    Steve Martin    $25 million    $25 million    Also $3 million to rewrite script
28.    Rush Hour 3    Chris Tucker    $25 million    $25 million    
29.    Hart's War    Bruce Willis    $22.5 million    $22.5 million    
30.    Air Force One    Harrison Ford    $22 million    $22 million    
33.    Vanilla Sky    Tom Cruise    $20 million + 30 % of the gross    Over $20 million[6]    
34.    Nutty Professor II: The Klumps    Eddie Murphy    $20 million + 20 % of the gross    Over $20 million[7]    
35.    Little Nicky    Adam Sandler    $20 million + 20 % of the gross    Over $20 million[8]    
36.    Bad Boys II    Will Smith    $20 million + 20 % of the gross    Over $20 million[9]    
37.    Mr. & Mrs. Smith    Brad Pitt    $20 million against 20 % of the gross    Over $20 million[10]    
38.    Jerry Maguire    Tom Cruise    $20 million against 15 % of the gross    Over $20 million[11]    
39.    Men in Black II    Will Smith    $20 million + 10 % of the gross    Over $20 million[12]    
40.    Men in Black II    Tommy Lee Jones    $20 million + % of the gross    Over $20 million    
41.    How the Grinch Stole Christmas    Jim Carrey    $20 million “+ merchandising”    Over $20 million    
42.    Judge Dredd    Sylvester Stallone    $20 million    $20 million    
43.    Assassins    Sylvester Stallone    $20 million    $20 million    
44.    Daylight    Sylvester Stallone    $20 million    $20 million    
45.    Ransom    Mel Gibson    $20 million    $20 million    
46.    The Cable Guy    Jim Carrey    $20 million    $20 million    
47.    Eraser    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $20 million    $20 million    
48.    Jingle All the Way    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $20 million    $20 million    
49.    Conspiracy Theory    Mel Gibson    $20 million    $20 million    
50.    Mad City    John Travolta    $20 million    $20 million    
51.    Liar Liar    Jim Carrey    $20 million    $20 million    
52.    The Devil's Own    Harrison Ford    $20 million    $20 million    
53.    You've Got Mail    Tom Hanks    $20 million    $20 million    
54.    A Civil Action    John Travolta    $20 million    $20 million    
55.    Six Days Seven Nights    Harrison Ford    $20 million    $20 million    
56.    The Green Mile    Tom Hanks    $20 million    $20 million    
57.    Eyes Wide Shut    Tom Cruise    $20 million    $20 million    

[edit] Highest-paid actresses
1.    Mona Lisa Smile    Julia Roberts    $25 million    $25 million    
2.    The Mexican    Julia Roberts    $20 million    $20 million    
3.    Erin Brokovich    Julia Roberts    $20 million    $20 million    
4.    Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle    Cameron Diaz    $20 million    $20 million    
5.    Gangs of New York    Cameron Diaz    $17.5 million    $17.5 million    
6.    Bewitched    Nicole Kidman    $17.5 million    $17.5 million    
7.    The Interpreter    Nicole Kidman    $17.5 million    $17.5 million    
8.    Runaway Bride    Julia Roberts    $17 million    $17 million    
9.    Notting Hill    Julia Roberts    $15 million    $15 million    
10.    Anna and the King    Jodie Foster    $15 million    $15 million    
11.    Proof of Life    Meg Ryan    $15 million    $15 million    
12.    America's Sweethearts    Julia Roberts    $15 million    $15 million    
13.    The Sweetest Thing    Cameron Diaz    $15 million    $15 million    
14.    Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde    Reese Witherspoon    $15 million    $15 million    
15.    Cold Mountain    Nicole Kidman    $15 million    $15 million    
16.    Vanity Fair    Reese Witherspoon    $15 million    $15 million    
17.    Birth    Nicole Kidman    $15 million    $15 million    
18.    The Stepford Wives    Nicole Kidman    $15 million    $15 million    
19.    Monster-In-Law    Jennifer Lopez    $15 million    $15 million    
20.    The Brave One    Jodie Foster    $15 million    $15 million    
E

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 10:30:02 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-paid_actors

1.    The Matrix Reloaded/The Matrix Revolutions    Keanu Reeves    $30 million + 15 % of the gross    $206 million    
2.    The Sixth Sense    Bruce Willis    $14 million + (14?) % of the gross    $100 million    
3.    War of the Worlds    Tom Cruise    20 % profit particpation    $100 million    
4.    Mission: Impossible II    Tom Cruise    SAG scale + 30 % of box office and TV licensing and 30 % of DVD and Video gross based on 40 % royalty ($1.80 per DVD)[1]    $92 million    
5.    Forrest Gump    Tom Hanks    SAG scale + profit participation    $70 million    
6.    Mission: Impossible    Tom Cruise    SAG scale + 22 % of gross after costs deducted[2]    $70 million    
7.    Batman    Jack Nicholson    Unspecified guarantee + % of gross and merchandise    $60 million    
8.    Saving Private Ryan    Tom Hanks    Profit participation    $40 million    
9.    Titanic    Leonardo DiCaprio    $10 millions + % of gross    $40 millions    
10.    Lethal Weapon 4    Mel Gibson    $30 million    $30 million    
11.    Ocean's Eleven    Brad Pitt    $10 million + $20 million profit participation    $30 million    
12.    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $29.25 million + $1.5 million for perks + 20 % of all income based on 100 % royalties once gross has passed $150 million domestic or $380 million worldwide[3]    Over $29.25 million[1]    
13.    I, Robot    Will Smith    $28 million + 10 % to 20 % of gross    Over $28 million[2]    
14.    Minority Report    Tom Cruise    $25 million + % of gross    Over $25 million    
15.    The Last Samurai    Tom Cruise    $25 million + % of gross    Over $25 million    
16.    Anger Management    Adam Sandler    $25 million against 25 % of gross    Over $25 million[3]    
17.    Austin Powers in Goldmember    Mike Myers    $25 million against 21 % of gross    Over $25 million[4]    
18.    K-19: The Widowmaker    Harrison Ford    $25 million + 20 % of gross    Over $25 million[5]    
19.    Batman & Robin    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $25 million    $25 million    
20.    End of Days    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $25 million    $25 million    
21.    The Patriot    Mel Gibson    $25 million    $25 million    
22.    The 6th Day    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $25 million    $25 million    
23.    Signs    Mel Gibson    $25 million    $25 million    
24.    We Were Soldiers    Mel Gibson    $25 million    $25 million    
25.    Collateral Damage    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $25 million    $25 million    
26.    Bruce Almighty    Jim Carrey    $25 million    $25 million    
27.    The Pink Panther    Steve Martin    $25 million    $25 million    Also $3 million to rewrite script
28.    Rush Hour 3    Chris Tucker    $25 million    $25 million    
29.    Hart's War    Bruce Willis    $22.5 million    $22.5 million    
30.    Air Force One    Harrison Ford    $22 million    $22 million    
33.    Vanilla Sky    Tom Cruise    $20 million + 30 % of the gross    Over $20 million[6]    
34.    Nutty Professor II: The Klumps    Eddie Murphy    $20 million + 20 % of the gross    Over $20 million[7]    
35.    Little Nicky    Adam Sandler    $20 million + 20 % of the gross    Over $20 million[8]    
36.    Bad Boys II    Will Smith    $20 million + 20 % of the gross    Over $20 million[9]    
37.    Mr. & Mrs. Smith    Brad Pitt    $20 million against 20 % of the gross    Over $20 million[10]    
38.    Jerry Maguire    Tom Cruise    $20 million against 15 % of the gross    Over $20 million[11]    
39.    Men in Black II    Will Smith    $20 million + 10 % of the gross    Over $20 million[12]    
40.    Men in Black II    Tommy Lee Jones    $20 million + % of the gross    Over $20 million    
41.    How the Grinch Stole Christmas    Jim Carrey    $20 million “+ merchandising”    Over $20 million    
42.    Judge Dredd    Sylvester Stallone    $20 million    $20 million    
43.    Assassins    Sylvester Stallone    $20 million    $20 million    
44.    Daylight    Sylvester Stallone    $20 million    $20 million    
45.    Ransom    Mel Gibson    $20 million    $20 million    
46.    The Cable Guy    Jim Carrey    $20 million    $20 million    
47.    Eraser    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $20 million    $20 million    
48.    Jingle All the Way    Arnold Schwarzenegger    $20 million    $20 million    
49.    Conspiracy Theory    Mel Gibson    $20 million    $20 million    
50.    Mad City    John Travolta    $20 million    $20 million    
51.    Liar Liar    Jim Carrey    $20 million    $20 million    
52.    The Devil's Own    Harrison Ford    $20 million    $20 million    
53.    You've Got Mail    Tom Hanks    $20 million    $20 million    
54.    A Civil Action    John Travolta    $20 million    $20 million    
55.    Six Days Seven Nights    Harrison Ford    $20 million    $20 million    
56.    The Green Mile    Tom Hanks    $20 million    $20 million    
57.    Eyes Wide Shut    Tom Cruise    $20 million    $20 million    

[edit] Highest-paid actresses
1.    Mona Lisa Smile    Julia Roberts    $25 million    $25 million    
2.    The Mexican    Julia Roberts    $20 million    $20 million    
3.    Erin Brokovich    Julia Roberts    $20 million    $20 million    
4.    Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle    Cameron Diaz    $20 million    $20 million    
5.    Gangs of New York    Cameron Diaz    $17.5 million    $17.5 million    
6.    Bewitched    Nicole Kidman    $17.5 million    $17.5 million    
7.    The Interpreter    Nicole Kidman    $17.5 million    $17.5 million    
8.    Runaway Bride    Julia Roberts    $17 million    $17 million    
9.    Notting Hill    Julia Roberts    $15 million    $15 million    
10.    Anna and the King    Jodie Foster    $15 million    $15 million    
11.    Proof of Life    Meg Ryan    $15 million    $15 million    
12.    America's Sweethearts    Julia Roberts    $15 million    $15 million    
13.    The Sweetest Thing    Cameron Diaz    $15 million    $15 million    
14.    Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde    Reese Witherspoon    $15 million    $15 million    
15.    Cold Mountain    Nicole Kidman    $15 million    $15 million    
16.    Vanity Fair    Reese Witherspoon    $15 million    $15 million    
17.    Birth    Nicole Kidman    $15 million    $15 million    
18.    The Stepford Wives    Nicole Kidman    $15 million    $15 million    
19.    Monster-In-Law    Jennifer Lopez    $15 million    $15 million    
20.    The Brave One    Jodie Foster    $15 million    $15 million    

Actors (big ones) nowadays take points in the films they are in.  It helps get the film made by not having such a large payroll.  The movie Over The Top couod have been made for $10 million.  But Stallones price waS $15M and paid up front before the film was shot.  That movie is also one of the first movies to use Product Palcement extensively to help raise funds to make the film.  Brut paid $5M to have their logo on the side of the truck at the end.  Minimum buy-in for any sponsor was $150,000.  My good friend has one of the largest and most succedssful product placement companies in the industry.  And I am a believier in if a studio makes $500M then that money should be shared among the people who made it successful.  Taking points is the best.  Look at Jack N. and Cruise.  They take a chance (little one) on the film being a success. And it paid off big-time.  The Matrix Triolgy with all its licensing and other stuff has made over $2 Billion worldwide.  I made a very good living in the industry.  Mostly commercials, but it made me enough to live very good for more than 10 years.  And the best part is how the money rolls in for as long as what you did is airing somewhere.  My friend Manny Perry told me one time he was makiing over $250,000 a year in residuals alone.  Can you imagine what the big name people are making.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 11:48:26 AM »
The movie Over The Top couod have been made for $10 million.  But Stallones price waS $15M and paid up front before the film was shot.    My friend Manny Perry told me one time he was makiing over $250,000 a year in residuals alone.  Can you imagine what the big name people are making.

I cant believe Stallone made 15M for that crap, In an Australian interview the DJ mentioned something bout OVER THE TOP and sly laughed and said "what happen to that decade, it was all illusion and excess"....But 15M for a film back then is heaps back then and also now if you adjust inflation....

I can imagine the residuals Will smith makes, even his flops make a lot of $$$$ (Wild wild West), Fresh prince of belair is on DVD now, not to mention it still airs on TV around the world

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »
Will Smith

12/15/06 The Pursuit of Happyness   $162,586,036    
2/11/05      Hitch        $179,495,555    
10/1/04    Shark Tale              $160,861,908 (Not sure if this counts, he did a voice over)
7/16/04    I, Robot        $144,801,023    
 7/18/03    Bad Boys II        $138,608,444    
7/3/02          Men in Black II        $190,418,803    
6/30/99    Wild Wild West        $113,805,681    
11/20/98    Enemy of the State    $111,549,836
7/2/97         Men in Black                   $250,690,539
7/3/96        Independence Day        $306,169,268

Will smith has made Sony/Warner bros over a billion dollars in just domestic Box office, not counting overseas tickets sales or DVD's......So in Will smiths case no he is not overpaid.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
what did i learn about film making in the 80's?
That if Sylvester stallone's name was attached to movie it would be made..True story

That's what I mean about 'certain' actors being responsible for entire economies of scale.

In many cases, if an actor says no, the pic doesn't get made.

In some films, quite often they can simply be replaced, as in the case of Honey. They originally wrote that script for Aliyah, however, because of her plane crash... it got shelved. It was resurrected years later with Jessica Alba, and Bille had to fight for her. They originally wanted Jennifer Beals for my role. When Jennifer was a no go... they went with me instead. Most pics however, ...aren't like that, and if a 'certain' actor isn't attached, the script sits on a shelf gathering dust.  Only very rarely, does a project get made on the merits of the project alone. Most often, it's due to WHO is attached to the project.

There's a hilarious movie that fittingly describes the insanity of the process called "Hollywood North"

It is soooo bang on.
w

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 06:09:20 PM »
That brings a tear to my eye.  :'(

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »
That brings a tear to my eye.  :'(

Does it,imagine 20 stacks of that!!! thats how much will smith gets per movie..and then some