Author Topic: Lennox Lewis returning for a rematch with Klitschko  (Read 15128 times)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Lennox Lewis returning for a rematch with Klitschko
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 05:15:53 AM »
Yeah, um... who did he fight? He ducked the Klitschkos for years... I'm trying to think... he beat both Tyson and Holyfield when they were washed up. Who's left that was great?

Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis would have been an interesting fight in like 1992. Those guys were deadly enemies from the 1988 Olympics.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 05:18:40 AM »
tyson always feared lewis

E

For all Tyson's faults he never showed the least bit of fear in the ring or out.
The House that Ruth built

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 06:04:27 AM »
tyson always feared lewis

E

Tyson pre meltdown would have slaughtered Lewis.

He would not have feared anyone then and probably not after his jail term, however he may have known his skills were not up to defeating Lewis prior to the bout, but I doubt the loon would be afraid!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 06:46:27 AM »

He would not have feared anyone then and probably not after his jail term, however he may have known his skills were not up to defeating Lewis prior to the bout, but I doubt the loon would be afraid!

ta ta

Yep, ol' iron mike would've fucking killed him in his prime.

I used to hate lewis when he came over bad mouthing big frank bruno. how dare he!!! and then he went and fucking beat our frank up  >:(

bruno the loveable fool and mental case "know wot i mean harry"

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 07:27:14 AM »
lolol yes good old frank managed to get his hands on a title too!! (how did that happen!!? lol)

I doubt he knows what you mean now, Harry. He probably does not know which city he is in!!

What is it with heavyweights and mental probs!

ta ta

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »
lolol yes good old frank managed to get his hands on a title too!! (how did that happen!!? lol)

I doubt he knows what you mean now, Harry. He probably does not know which city he is in!!

What is it with heavyweights and mental probs!

ta ta

He was on tv last week. He's helping to promote getting boxing back in schools as part of pe. He seemed ok in himself and made a good case for boxing to be taught in schools.

Remember when he first cracked up and the sun newspaper had "Bonkers Bruno Locked Up" on their front page. Then they had to apologise for being dickheads, the stupid twats.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »
Well pumpy its all opinions anyway isn't it?

You may think some people are great and there are others who will disagree.

Secondly who dominated the division like he did recently? Thats why I think he is a great.

However people will disagree.

ta ta

It's only opinion when there's no real competition. In competitive eras like the 30s, 40s, 60s and 70s there was a basis of proof that hasn't existed since. Fighting mediocrities it takes outrageous performances like Tyson's in the 80s to even receive consideration of greatness IMO. Lewis did not look great nor was he particulary aggressive.

Lewis is something like Larry Holmes-good but barely top ten all-time, and all-round uninspiring. Without proven greatness or personality, the lack of competition hurt their legacies.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »

Pumpster, you are a fucking psycho. You been working on Wall Street too long.

My groupie always brings it back to me while conveniently ignoring the same sentiment from others. I give him a reason for being, in lieu of his own content. LOL

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 08:38:09 AM »
the thing is, Frank was IMO easily winning that fight from what i can remember of it and Lennox got him with a "lucky punch"

Give Lennox credit where its due though. When he fought Tua, Tua was touted as unstoppable and was thought by some as the man to walk through Lewis. What we saw was a masterclass in boxing and Lennox dominated him
Scouser on Tour

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 09:30:57 AM »
It's only opinion when there's no real competition. In competitive eras like the 30s, 40s, 60s and 70s there was a basis of proof that hasn't existed since. Fighting mediocrities it takes outrageous performances like Tyson's in the 80s to even receive consideration of greatness IMO. Lewis did not look great nor was he particulary aggressive.

Lewis is something like Larry Holmes-good but barely top ten all-time, and all-round uninspiring. Without proven greatness or personality, the lack of competition hurt their legacies.

yes i'll agree on that point, however the argument for proof is something we will have to agree to disagree on.

Secondly being overly aggressive should not be a factor in this, it's boxing not dogfighting. There are plenty of clever boxers who are good and counter punch etc.

anyway i suppose I was slightly over the top calling him great, but he was still the best we've seen in a long time!

ta ta

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 09:32:26 AM »
He was on tv last week. He's helping to promote getting boxing back in schools as part of pe. He seemed ok in himself and made a good case for boxing to be taught in schools.

Remember when he first cracked up and the sun newspaper had "Bonkers Bruno Locked Up" on their front page. Then they had to apologise for being dickheads, the stupid twats.

You can always rely on the Sun to print shit then think later!!

Good to see Frank is on the right track

ta ta

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 09:48:22 AM »
Unlikely... I've never heard of Tyson fearing anyone.

yeah that is why he basically chose to fight holyfield over lewis ::)

also when guys fight for a living they normally don't go around bragging about who they are afraid of...

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 09:49:31 AM »
Tyson KO'd Lennox when they were in their teens, so Tyson always remembered that and had no fear of him at all.

see my post above and no he never knocked him out they sparred and both did a number on each other

cus said they both would be future champs

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2007, 09:51:53 AM »
For all Tyson's faults he never showed the least bit of fear in the ring or out.

did you ever think that maybe it was all apart of his exaggerrated tough guy image?

oh and he clearly feared him in the years leading up to the fight hence the reason it took so long to actually happen

tyson = most overrated fighter ever

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2007, 09:53:57 AM »

ta ta

no he wouldn't have

tyson never faced a guy with lewis height, power, and skill which is why he dodged him for years

E
E

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 10:33:43 AM »
see my post above and no he never knocked him out they sparred and both did a number on each other

cus said they both would be future champs

E

then why wasnt it ever contested when it was repeatedly said in the build up to the fight? Tyson at his absolute best would have mauled Lennox, his movement, accuracy and power were awesome but he had the mind as well. His tactics were well thought out and he remains the very best boxer weve ever seen in the HW division. He was the complete package
Scouser on Tour

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2007, 10:35:04 AM »
no he wouldn't have

tyson never faced a guy with lewis height, power, and skill which is why he dodged him for years

E

He HAS faced guys as big as Lewis prior to that fight... I don't have a complete rundown, but I do remember a fight... I think it was in 86, where he took out a 6'6' monster and checked him in the corner and pummelled him.

Lewis was NOT a power hitter... NEVER...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2007, 10:49:01 AM »
He HAS faced guys as big as Lewis prior to that fight... I don't have a complete rundown, but I do remember a fight... I think it was in 86, where he took out a 6'6' monster and checked him in the corner and pummelled him.

Correct.  And Lewis had a glass jaw.  It is Lewis, not Tyson, who might be one of the most overrated fighters in boxing history.  He was a stiff IMO.  Tyson was an animal.  I've never seen a fighter hit as hard as he did.  I remember his line early in his career, where he said he throws "every punch with bad intentions."  That's a classic.  And it was true.  He was a devastating puncher in his prime.  When he fought Frank Bruno, I recall him breaking Bruno's jaw and one or two ribs.  And remember the Berbick knockout?  I short hook that literally knocked Berbick silly.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »
Correct.  And Lewis had a glass jaw.  It is Lewis, not Tyson, who might be one of the most overrated fighters in boxing history.  He was a stiff IMO.  Tyson was an animal.  I've never seen a fighter hit as hard as he did.  I remember his line early in his career, where he said he throws "every punch with bad intentions."  That's a classic.  And it was true.  He was a devastating puncher in his prime.  When he fought Frank Bruno, I recall him breaking Bruno's jaw and one or two ribs.  And remember the Berbick knockout?  I short hook that literally knocked Berbick silly.   

The Berbick knockout was classic... I'm awake...

I'm not awake anymore...

You're right about "Bad Intentions"... Every punch Tyson threw could potentially knock you out. I'd let Lewis hit me ANY day over Tyson...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 11:09:17 AM »
The Berbick knockout was classic... I'm awake...

I'm not awake anymore...

You're right about "Bad Intentions"... Every punch Tyson threw could potentially knock you out. I'd let Lewis hit me ANY day over Tyson...

Yep.  The heavyweight division has been in the crapper ever since Tyson went to prison (the first time).   :'(

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2007, 11:21:40 AM »
Yep.  The heavyweight division has been in the crapper ever since Tyson went to prison (the first time).   :'(

I agree... there hasn't been interest in it since.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »
no he wouldn't have

E

he would have brutalized him and i'm a Lewis fan!

lewis was not nearly as quick as him and secondly being punched by Tyson is about as hard as it gets this  would have sent Lewis to the canvas, where he would have stayed. His chin would not have stood up to Tysons power

ta ta

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2007, 11:34:34 AM »

Yes he did face numerous lanky fucks and smashed them too

ta ta

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2007, 11:54:25 AM »
I don't rate Lewis - it'll be a shame to see him come back if he does because he'll ruin whatever legacy he had when he left the game behind. Boxers are the worst sportsmen when it comes to stuff like this - why can't they ever just retire on a high and mean it?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »
no he wouldn't have

Tyson never faced a guy with lewis height, power, and skill which is why he dodged him for years

E

Completely agree. Who besides Tyson was a credible heavyweight with skill during the late 80's and early 90's that Tyson beat? Michael Spinks? Please!

Tyson would have had trouble with Lewis in any era, period. Don't tell me Lewis doesn't have any power. The last thing a heavyweight loses is his power. Last time I checked he put a bloody Tyson on his sorry ass. Most people get disillusioned by how Tyson layed waste to everyone in his prime. But the bottom line is, he never fucking beat anybody!! Name one credible heavyweight that he has defeated besides a scared to death Michael Spinks. Tyson always had trouble with bigger opponents with decent reach and a good jab. Always. Buster Douglas was 6'4" with a good jab and reach. Remember how that turned out? Don't tell me Tyson wasn't focused. Douglas came to fight that night and WAS NOT intimidated whatsoever of the Tyson mystique.
That's another reason why he couldn't knockout Bonecrusher Smith(who was huge)who thoroughly confused Tyson but lost a majority decision. Tyson was way overrated. There was never a good heavyweight to truly test him during his prime.