Author Topic: Natural Bodybuilding MYTHS  (Read 39469 times)

AVBG

Natural Bodybuilding MYTHS
« on: February 25, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »
What are some of the "myths" that you heard regarding natural bodybuilding?

1. Don't train bodyparts more than once per week..

2. You need high reps for definition and low reps for mass.

3.New muscle gains diminish after 48 hours.

4.In order to get really big, you have to eat a super-high-calorie diet

5. If you eat a low-fat diet, it doesn't matter how many calories you take in, you won't gain any fat.

6.You can completely reshape a muscle by doing isolation exercises

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: Natural Bodybuilding MYTHS
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 09:19:29 PM »
Sounds like a list of myths for BBing in general.

One myth I can think of is you won't have that round muscle shape, density, conditioning as a steroid user when dieted down.

AVBG

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »
Sounds like a list of myths for BBing in general.

One myth I can think of is you won't have that round muscle shape, density, conditioning as a steroid user when dieted down.

true.. I want to see if we can keep it nattie specific.. (try to)... that's a good one.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »
muscle turns to fat when you stop lifting.I want to smack someone whenever I hear this. Muscle does not turn into fat.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:01:03 PM »
muscle turns to fat when you stop lifting.I want to smack someone whenever I hear this. Muscle does not turn into fat.

What DOES it turn into?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:42:08 PM »
What DOES it turn into?

well it doesn't "change"into fat.You lose muscle and gain fat but  the muscle does not become fat.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 12:20:52 AM »

Right on.  I've also been advised by a chubby girl (who's morbidly obese 350 lb brother was a "bodybuilder") that fat turns into muscle.  She insisted that this was true.

AVBG

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 02:16:40 AM »
What DOES it turn into?

It turns into energy, as they say IF you don't use it, you'll lose it.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 03:41:22 AM »
Right on.  I've also been advised by a chubby girl (who's morbidly obese 350 lb brother was a "bodybuilder") that fat turns into muscle.  She insisted that this was true.

A chubby girl I know insists that "chocolate pudding" is good for her 8 year old son because it has milk in it.  :-\

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 05:32:43 AM »
It turns into energy, as they say IF you don't use it, you'll lose it.

That kinda makes sense. So if you stop weight training, but keep up the "weight training" diet, and instead add more cardio to your diet, you will effectively stop the muscle lost from not weight training from turning into fat, as it will be burnt by the extra cardio and you'll just reach a "natural" level of muscle depending on non-weight training factors in your life.

Long winded, but I think that sounds right.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 07:38:03 AM »
   A chubby girl I know insists that "chocolate pudding" is good for her 8 year old son because it has milk in it.  :-\

Shameful.  More fuel for the pharma-medtech profit engine.  We are "Matrix batteries."

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 12:03:35 AM »
That kinda makes sense. So if you stop weight training, but keep up the "weight training" diet, and instead add more cardio to your diet, you will effectively stop the muscle lost from not weight training from turning into fat, as it will be burnt by the extra cardio and you'll just reach a "natural" level of muscle depending on non-weight training factors in your life.

Long winded, but I think that sounds right.

NO...muscle tissue and fat tissue are different things all together.Muscle does not "turn" into fat no matter what the diet. Your body prefers to burn extra muscle  for fuel before fat...especially in a calorie deficit.The muscle is used as energy and extra calories not burned by exercise or daily life are stored as fat. The muscle does not change into fat.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 12:09:13 AM »
Shameful.  More fuel for the pharma-medtech profit engine.  We are "Matrix batteries."

Chocolate pudding is very good for you because it contains milk...but not nearly as nutritious as BANANA pudding,obviously,as it contains milk and bananas.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 01:22:47 AM »
Chocolate pudding is very good for you because it contains milk...but not nearly as nutritious as BANANA pudding,obviously,as it contains milk and bananas.

So you're saying that the lemon pudding I ate earlier today is totally NOT good for me?

Damn it.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 04:15:04 AM »

NO...muscle tissue and fat tissue are different things all together.Muscle does not "turn" into fat no matter what the diet. Your body prefers to burn extra muscle  for fuel before fat...especially in a calorie deficit.The muscle is used as energy and extra calories not burned by exercise or daily life are stored as fat. The muscle does not change into fat.

I meant to say to stop the muscle that's turned to energy from therefore turning into fat, as you'd presumably have an excess amount of energy from the former muscles aswell as the regular intake of carbs. So you'd need to work more to burn off the extra energy.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 05:50:29 AM »

"Kids pudding" is extremely nutritious.  Check the label though and make sure you're buying the one made from 100% kids, not kid flavoured substitute.

The #1 bb myth (usually beginners, so usually natty) is that you have to get really fat in order to gain any muscle, and then diet down.  The flip-side to this is the belief that if you are lifting heavy and eating like a pig, then every ounce you gain is pure muscle.  "I gained 5 pounds this week!  I'm gettin' big!"  "Ya, you're getting big alright..."

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 05:57:22 AM »
When I was younger I would eat 6 meals a day everyday except for legs. I didn't want them to get too big. :-[ Now there is no going back.
just push some weight!

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 07:43:10 PM »
When I was younger I would eat 6 meals a day everyday except for legs. I didn't want them to get too big. :-[ Now there is no going back.

so now do you eat 6 meals a day, everyday?

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 06:38:33 AM »
Myths:
1) Individual muscles can be shaped (or you can control the shaping of individual muscles via training). Muscle shape does change but within the confines of genetic blueprints.

2) You need high amounts of protein to grow rapidly. You need what you need, but it probably isn't what you think it is. 250 grams for a 180 lb. guy is excessive in my opinion. During my best growth spurts I don't think that I consumed more than 190 grams at a body weight of 215 lbs., and even that I think was too much. I now consume 150 or so grams a day and maintain 205-210lbs at single digit body fat level.

3) There is no such thing as a natural competitor. There are still plenty of people who compete without drugs, as there are many that do it with drugs.

4) High volume is the best way for a natural to build his highest level of muscle mass. As you get stronger and closer to your genetic capacity, shaving off sets from your workout will generally allow you to continue responding to training. Harder, heavier and more frequent training takes more out of the body, a reduction in exercise volume will allow resources to be left over for super-compensation (growth).

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 07:54:07 PM »

Myth:

If you stay natural you are doomed to have a "swimmer's" body 

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 08:02:15 PM »
Myths:
1) Individual muscles can be shaped (or you can control the shaping of individual muscles via training). Muscle shape does change but within the confines of genetic blueprints.

2) You need high amounts of protein to grow rapidly. You need what you need, but it probably isn't what you think it is. 250 grams for a 180 lb. guy is excessive in my opinion. During my best growth spurts I don't think that I consumed more than 190 grams at a body weight of 215 lbs., and even that I think was too much. I now consume 150 or so grams a day and maintain 205-210lbs at single digit body fat level.

3) There is no such thing as a natural competitor. There are still plenty of people who compete without drugs, as there are many that do it with drugs.

4) High volume is the best way for a natural to build his highest level of muscle mass. As you get stronger and closer to your genetic capacity, shaving off sets from your workout will generally allow you to continue responding to training. Harder, heavier and more frequent training takes more out of the body, a reduction in exercise volume will allow resources to be left over for super-compensation (growth).

how would you advise someone to calculate their caloric needs?

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 08:31:18 PM »
1.Those diets that are in the bodybuilding magazines are myths.  They are completly ridiculus.  stuff like eating 10 egg whites then two hours later a potato and 8 oz chicken then two hours later a protien shake with rice cakes and steamed spinage. These may work but are completly unessesary to get big or ripped.

2. supplements can help get you past your natural genetic potential.

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 10:06:14 PM »
how would you advise someone to calculate their caloric needs?

Heres a great way:

First determine how many calories you take in on your average day. To do this pick up a calorie and nutrient counter from your bookstore. Write down all the food you eat and drink over the next 7 days. Use the book to determine the caloric amount for each day. Add the amounts for each day up. Once you have your weekly total, divide by 7. This will give you an accurate determination of what you need to maintain your current weight.

Option A. If you want to lose fat reduce your caloric intake 500 cals to lose at a good pace. Reduce from fat and carbohydrate sources. Maintain protein levels (.75 to 1 gram per pound of lean body weight is more than enough). train intensely.

Option B. To increase size. Increase your caloric intake 500 calories. Making sure you eat sufficient protein (1 gram per pound of lean body weight will be enough). Increase your carbohydrate intake. Train intensely.

Option C. Increase muscle size and reduce fat. train very intensely. reduce caloric intake by 500 cals if you are above 10 percent body fat. Maintain caloric intake if you are 7-10 percent body fat.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 08:18:30 AM »
Heres a great way:

First determine how many calories you take in on your average day. To do this pick up a calorie and nutrient counter from your bookstore. Write down all the food you eat and drink over the next 7 days. Use the book to determine the caloric amount for each day. Add the amounts for each day up. Once you have your weekly total, divide by 7. This will give you an accurate determination of what you need to maintain your current weight.

Option A. If you want to lose fat reduce your caloric intake 500 cals to lose at a good pace. Reduce from fat and carbohydrate sources. Maintain protein levels (.75 to 1 gram per pound of lean body weight is more than enough). train intensely.

Option B. To increase size. Increase your caloric intake 500 calories. Making sure you eat sufficient protein (1 gram per pound of lean body weight will be enough). Increase your carbohydrate intake. Train intensely.

Option C. Increase muscle size and reduce fat. train very intensely. reduce caloric intake by 500 cals if you are above 10 percent body fat. Maintain caloric intake if you are 7-10 percent body fat.

thank you!!!!!

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »