Author Topic: America: We Torture  (Read 1756 times)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
America: We Torture
« on: February 27, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
The new report provides the most comprehensive account to date of life in a secret CIA prison, as well as new information regarding 38 possible detainees. The report explains that these prisoners’ treatment by the CIA constitutes enforced disappearance, a practice that is absolutely prohibited under international law. 

Marwan Jabour was arrested by Pakistani authorities in May 2004 in Pakistan and held for more than a month at a secret facility in Islamabad operated by both US and Pakistani personnel, during which time he was badly abused. In June, he was flown to another secret prison, which he believes was in Afghanistan, where all or nearly all of the personnel were American. 

His clothes were taken from him when he arrived, and he was left completely naked for a month and a half, including during questioning by women interrogators and filming. He was chained tightly to the wall of his small cell so that he could not stand up, placed in painful stress positions so that he had difficulty breathing, and told that if he did not cooperate he would be put in a suffocating “dog box.” 

During the more than two years that he was held in this secret prison, Jabour spent nearly all of his time alone in a windowless cell, with little human contact besides his captors. Although he worried incessantly about his wife and three young daughters, he was not allowed even to send them a letter to reassure them that he was alive. 

“It was a grave,” Jabour later told Human Rights Watch. “I felt like my life was over.” 

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2007/02/26/usint15408_txt.htm

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Re: America: We Torture
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
The new report provides the most comprehensive account to date of life in a secret CIA prison, as well as new information regarding 38 possible detainees. The report explains that these prisoners’ treatment by the CIA constitutes enforced disappearance, a practice that is absolutely prohibited under international law. 

Marwan Jabour was arrested by Pakistani authorities in May 2004 in Pakistan and held for more than a month at a secret facility in Islamabad operated by both US and Pakistani personnel, during which time he was badly abused. In June, he was flown to another secret prison, which he believes was in Afghanistan, where all or nearly all of the personnel were American. 

His clothes were taken from him when he arrived, and he was left completely naked for a month and a half, including during questioning by women interrogators and filming. He was chained tightly to the wall of his small cell so that he could not stand up, placed in painful stress positions so that he had difficulty breathing, and told that if he did not cooperate he would be put in a suffocating “dog box.” 

During the more than two years that he was held in this secret prison, Jabour spent nearly all of his time alone in a windowless cell, with little human contact besides his captors. Although he worried incessantly about his wife and three young daughters, he was not allowed even to send them a letter to reassure them that he was alive. 

“It was a grave,” Jabour later told Human Rights Watch. “I felt like my life was over.” 

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2007/02/26/usint15408_txt.htm

oh poor baby, prison was a pain in the ass? To bad. Human rights watch is a sham
gotta love life

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:28:56 PM »
oh poor baby, prison was a pain in the ass? To bad. Human rights watch is a sham

LOL

So which is it? He should expect to be tortured in American custody? Or he wasn't tortured because it was just a lie made up by Human Rights Watch to make money?  :)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 01:32:21 PM »
LOL

So which is it? He should expect to be tortured in American custody? Or he wasn't tortured because it was just a lie made up by Human Rights Watch to make money?  :)

Oh no, I believe almost every word he said. We might inconvenience people in custody but we don't torture. According to Human rights watch if we don't give them all the sleep they want, individual climate controls, satin bed sheets, steak and lobster etc.. we are torturing. Just like in prisons in the states. Prison shouldn't be comfortable especially in holding enemies.
gotta love life

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 01:42:02 PM »
Oh no, I believe almost every word he said. We might inconvenience people in custody but we don't torture. According to Human rights watch if we don't give them all the sleep they want, individual climate controls, satin bed sheets, steak and lobster etc.. we are torturing. Just like in prisons in the states. Prison shouldn't be comfortable especially in holding enemies.

I respectfully suggest that there is a middle ground between satin sheets and being chained to the wall so that you're unable to stand up straight.  ::)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »
I respectfully suggest that there is a middle ground between satin sheets and being chained to the wall so that you're unable to stand up straight.  ::)

I bet you it's good for your back.   ::)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 01:45:44 PM »
I bet you it's good for your back.   ::)

It isn't meant to be good for your back. I mean when I deploy, we go through POW training in case we get caught. I would expect them to do these things to me ot try and break me. If you don't want to be put in that situation, don't fight in a war.
gotta love life

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 01:46:36 PM »

I know there is a huge difference, but making a person uncomfortable is necesarry
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »
It isn't meant to be good for your back. I mean when I deploy, we go through POW training in case we get caught. I would expect them to do these things to me ot try and break me. If you don't want to be put in that situation, don't fight in a war.

I was just kidding MM. 

I understand about POW training.  I'm a military brat and have a life long interest in anything and every thing military including military history.   I realize that's not the same a serving.  But my interests combined with growing up on military bases gives me more than the average joe.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »
Was we should be asking ourselves is:   Did we unlawfully torture anyone?

Frankly i think sometimes it's needed but from what i saw that torture scandal wasn;t needed.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 01:52:26 PM »
Was we should be asking ourselves is:   Did we unlawfully torture anyone?

Frankly i think sometimes it's needed but from what i saw that torture scandal wasn;t needed.

There are limits, but I don't think water boarding is torture. Now idiots like Ghraib (however you spell it) were wrong. Humiliation and making someone physically uncomfortable are two different things and I bet most interrogators would tell you that humiliation doesn't get you far.
gotta love life