Author Topic: Bears players telling free agents to "stay away"  (Read 1835 times)

body88

Bears players telling free agents to "stay away"
« on: February 28, 2007, 02:50:05 PM »
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

With Lovie Smith being the lowest-paid head coach in the NFL and no signs of any impending effort to provide him with fair market value, we're told that at least one veteran member of the Bears is telling at least one potential free-agent target not to sign with the team.

It could be a sign of things to come for the Bears, unless and until they get Smith's contract status resolved. We've previously heard that many veterans plan to refuse to do any contract restructurings or other business with the team.

The prevailing view in league circles is that the failure to pay Smith is the result of arrogance and general cheapness. The Bears are thought to believe that, if Smith goes, they'll find someone else to take the job.

The consensus in league circles is that, if Smith becomes available, he'll be in high demand.

In our view, it's not an ideal way to run a football team. But by opting to hold firm at $1.45 million in salary this year and $2 million or so for a new guy next year, the Bears are definitely saving money.

body88

Re: Bears players telling free agents to "stay away"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »
Annnnnddddddddddddd Lovey gets 22 mill for 5 years  :D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 11:29:28 PM »
I was about to say.. .when did you do this... The man is now on the top of the food chain.

body88

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 11:32:59 PM »
I was about to say.. .when did you do this... The man is now on the top of the food chain.

The original post was made before Lovey got his deal. Still does not change the fact players are telling free agents not play for the team. Congrats to Smith on his deal tho!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 11:34:39 PM »
The original post was made before Lovey got his deal. Still deos not change the fact players are telling free agents not play for the team. Congrats to Smith on his deal tho!

That may change now though... We'll have to see how it works out... The only thing they need is a decent QB anyway... they've got everything else.

body88

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 11:38:11 PM »
That may change now though... We'll have to see how it works out... The only thing they need is a decent QB anyway... they've got everything else.

This is true.

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 06:12:27 AM »

But I loved how Rex Grossman gift wrapped the Super Bowl for the Colts!   ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »

Did we expect anything different?

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 08:12:53 AM »
I am from Ann Arbor, Michigan and would love to see Brian Griese start but Rex won the job. I mean Rex played at Florida and i used to live there and it rains all the damn time, so when i heard him blame it on the rain, come on Rex. The Bears have a ferocious defense and that is what got them there. I would like to see Brian get some snaps with the first team, Brian is making more $$$ than Rex....I say whoever is QB next year give to Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson an throw the ball about 20 to 25 times....I just hope Thomas does not leave, i know he wants out....but hope he stays
D

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 11:40:46 AM »

I truely believe that the NFL had planned for the Colts to win a Super Bowl from a few years back, with all the rule changes favoring the offense. it just took the Colts and Manning a little longer than the NFL had planned. they looked at him as the ultimate spokes person and rep for the NFL. Manning winning the SB is just good for the NFL, and the NFL realized that.The Colts still had to win the game, however the rule changes definetly improved their chances. the same team wouldnt have even made the playoffs if they kept the rules the same from the 80's or 90's. IMO