Author Topic: Toyota, Honda dominate list of top 10 autos  (Read 1267 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Toyota, Honda dominate list of top 10 autos
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:47:01 PM »
Toyota, Honda dominate list of top 10 autos
Japanese automakers once again claim all the No. 1 spots in Consumer Reports' annual survey.
By Martin Zimmerman

March 1, 2007

Toyota and Honda dominated this year's Consumer Reports auto rankings as Japanese models once again finished first in all 10 of the magazine's vehicle categories.

In the latest rankings, released Wednesday, Toyota Motor Corp.'s RAV4 (small sport utility vehicle), Highlander hybrid (mid-size SUV), Sienna (minivan) and Prius ("green" car), and Honda Motor Co.'s Fit (subcompact), Accord (family sedan) and Civic (small sedan) took top honors in their categories. Cars from Mazda Motor Corp. and Infiniti, Nissan Motor Co.'s luxury division, also made the top 10.

It was the fifth straight year that Toyota and Honda — and their Lexus and Acura luxury brands — have captured at least seven of the 10 categories, and the second year in a row that Japanese vehicles finished first in every class.

"This reflects the fact that these automakers tend to build well-rounded, balanced vehicles that do well in a number of our tests, and those type of vehicles tend to rise to the top of our ratings," Consumer Reports' automotive editor Rik Paul said.

German luxury nameplate Mercedes-Benz finished last in the magazine's reliability ratings, which are based on subscriber surveys and for the first time included responses dating back 10 years.

"To put it in perspective, the owner of a 1998 Lexus LS 400 — a 9-year-old vehicle — would likely have had less problems last year than somebody who bought a brand new 2006 [Mercedes] ML 500," said David A. Champion, Consumer Reports' senior director of automotive testing.

Donna Boland, a spokeswoman for the DaimlerChrysler unit, said she was surprised at the findings. "It's inconsistent with what we're seeing," she said. "We had some issues a couple of years back, but today's models are some of the best we've ever built. If their survey doesn't reflect that, then there's something wrong with the survey."

Noting that other consumer surveys have found strong brand loyalty among Mercedes owners, Boland said that "people who are voting with their wallets instead of their pencils don't feel that reliability is an issue."

In addition, Consumer Reports found that Mercedes vehicles are leaders in safety and tend to perform well in road tests.

Toyota and Honda were tops in reliability, but Paul noted that not all Japanese automakers scored well in that area. Nissan was especially inconsistent. Although several of its vehicles notched high reliability ratings, Nissan's Armada and Infiniti QX SUVs and its Titan pickup were among the models with the most problems. All are made at the same plant in Mississippi.

Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Corp. brands such as Chevrolet, Buick and Pontiac finished in the middle of the pack in terms of reliability. Ford's Mercury brand was the only domestic nameplate to make the top 10.

Bright spots for the U.S. automakers included the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Chevrolet Tahoe and Buick Lucerne, which all scored above average in first-year reliability, Champion said. He also noted that Hyundai Motor Co. of South Korea made its first appearance in the top 10 for reliability.

The new subcompact category reflects the growing demand among buyers for better gasoline mileage. The magazine's testers rated the winning Honda Fit at 32 miles per gallon with an automatic transmission.

Paul said domestic automakers, which are losing market share to their Asian rivals, performed poorly overall in terms of fuel economy. He blamed that on U.S. companies' reliance on big SUVs and pickups and said they also tended to lag behind foreign competitors in fuel-saving technology. The Prius, a gasoline-electric hybrid that got the best mileage of any vehicle tested, 44 mpg, was the top-rated model for owner satisfaction.

The last time Consumer Reports rated a U.S. vehicle first in any of its categories was in 2005, when the Ford Focus was named best small sedan. The magazine later revoked the car's top-pick designation after it performed poorly in side-impact crash tests.

Each year, Consumer Reports rates new cars and light trucks based on federal and insurance industry crash tests, reader reliability surveys and results of more than 50 road and lab tests performed by the magazine.

The rankings are posted at http://www.consumerreports.org and will be in the magazine's April issue, which goes on sale Tuesday.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Toyota, Honda dominate list of top 10 autos
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 07:48:20 PM »
Detroit shut out

Japanese brands ranked first in every new-vehicle category in Consumer Reports' annual auto issue.

Category             Top-ranked model
Budget car:             Honda Fit
Small sedan:       Honda Civic
Family sedan:       Honda Accord
Upscale sedan:       Infiniti G35
Luxury sedan:       Infiniti M35
Small SUV:            Toyota RAV4
Mid-size SUV:       Toyota Highlander hybrid
Minivan:            Toyota Sienna
Green car:            Toyota Prius
Fun to drive:       Mazda MX-5   Miata

AVBG

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:50:23 PM »
Jap cars = highly reliable

body88

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:52:45 PM »
Detroit shut out

Japanese brands ranked first in every new-vehicle category in Consumer Reports' annual auto issue.

Category             Top-ranked model
Budget car:             Honda Fit
Small sedan:       Honda Civic
Family sedan:       Honda Accord
Upscale sedan:       Infiniti G35
Luxury sedan:       Infiniti M35
Small SUV:            Toyota RAV4
Mid-size SUV:       Toyota Highlander hybrid
Minivan:            Toyota Sienna
Green car:            Toyota Prius
Fun to drive:       Mazda MX-5   Miata

That is cool if you are into cars as transportation from point a to b. The problem with jap cars ( to people who are into cars for more then a daily driver) is they have no soul.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 05:43:10 AM »
I have had a few camrys for work, they are kinda plain but totally rock solid. My first Jeep I had as a work car popped an axel seal at 11k and the fuckers wouldnt even give me a loaner car.
X

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 08:03:16 AM »
What about trucks?

Mazda Miata fun to drive? What a stupid little car, can anyone over 5' 7' tall fit in one of those?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »

That is cool if you are into cars as transportation from point a to b. The problem with jap cars ( to people who are into cars for more then a daily driver) is they have no soul.

I'll take my very American, clunky, supposedly unreliable 99 Jeep Wrangler, and my big old gas hog 05 F250 over a Camry or Lexus anyday. To me how I feel about what I drive is the most important thing. If I had to drive what everybody else seems drives I would start using mass transit.
The House that Ruth built

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 12:33:01 PM »
I've had Camry's for the past 14 years

can't fault them for reliability, comfort ,economy and resale value.

but i'm 40

most of you kids wouldn't be caught dead in one

LOL

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 06:37:27 PM »
My dad is a Ford man, I had a Taurus, and my dad keep that thing going, and going....The Fords were breaking right and left. So, after my water pump went, I got a Lexus IS300. Not single problem. That car engine is smoother than silk. My dream car....2008 BMW M3 (pics just released from the Geneva auto show) and the 2008 Nissan GT-R

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 12:30:49 AM »
Toyota rules!

Best company in the world. Great production system, very effective.

They have superclean factories.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 08:53:17 AM »
I like nazi cars...  I'd never trade my BMW for a Japanese POS!
Ron: "I am lazy."