Author Topic: strongman competitions  (Read 3398 times)

william

• Getbig II
strongman competitions
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:49:34 AM »
I am new and i was wondering if anyone could give me some info on any strongman competitions in western PA? or any tips on entering your first comp.

homer77

• Getbig II
Re: strongman competitions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:24:44 AM »

william

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »
Thanks alot. any tips for a first time competitor? i have only been lifting for 2 years and have never competed in any kind of competition.

homer77

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
I only competed once for strongman 3 years ago.  i plan to make a full run of it this year.  i am taking advice from others as well.  i will be training the events every sat at a friends one month out.  so, i would say get a hold of some of the event equipment if possible.  i trained 2 days before my last contest.  dont think im doing that again.  other than that, bring your gym gear...belt, wraps, etc...  and have fun.  the guys there are ussally very friendly and helpful. 

william

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 09:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice. My gym has no equipment I am going to gauge my success before i go and spend the big money on all the equip. I will definatly bring my straps though.  I can't wait i think I will be pretty good.

homer77

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 04:27:23 AM »
no straps.  most events do not allow them.  test of grip strength!

william

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 04:54:42 AM »
I am 23 with only 2 years lifting experince so my grib kinda sucks I can't get over 600 on my DL without straps.  I have a 200, 250 and a 350lbs gribber. I am a half inch away from closing the 350.  I am young and i hope to just be competitive in the begining. I am also natural. hell i can't even afford over the counter stuff so i take nothing but protien.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 01:11:23 PM »
2 years of lifting weights and a near 600 pound deadlift?

Ever thought of giving powerlifting a try?

Strongmen train in a "strongman" protocol for years before they get well rounded enough to even place in a regular strongman qualify event.

Good luck.

8)

william

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
I have thought about it,but when you put my numbers in the gym against pro's i am much closer to the strongmen. i know i should not compare myself to the pros but hell i'm competitive and cant help it.  I am open to try anything.  I have always been a rounded athlete.  i Never lifted before 2 years ago but played football for 10 years and was very successful until injuries. Do you think a 600 no gear DL, a 415 no gear bench and a 495 no gear squat is enough to try to compete in either?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »
I am 23 with only 2 years lifting experince so my grib kinda sucks I can't get over 600 on my DL without straps.  I have a 200, 250 and a 350lbs gribber. I am a half inch away from closing the 350.  I am young and i hope to just be competitive in the begining. I am also natural. hell i can't even afford over the counter stuff so i take nothing but protien.
hit some Zercher squats, those really helped me for the couple of strongman meets i did, they will also help your deadlift, put the bar at about waist level in the power rack.

william

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »
Man I was supper pissed off today and I picked my trap bar of the ground and shrugged 685 no gloves no straps I know it's not a DL but it was definitly one of my best moments.

homer77

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 06:34:04 AM »
sounds like your grip isnt suffering!

william

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:27 AM »
I bought a 350lbs ripper and even though i can't shut it i hold it as far shut as i can for as many times as i can.  in three weeks I went from only 1 rep at 500 on DL without straps to 5 reps.  that gripper was my best investment ever.