Author Topic: Training frequency question  (Read 3957 times)

Shinobi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Training frequency question
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:54:18 AM »
Howzit guys.

Question: currently training 3 days a week using the following split

Day 1: back -Lat pull;B.O Barbell Rows & T-bar rows (4 sets per exercise )
          Arms-Dumbell Curl;Barbell curl (3 sets per exercise)

Day 2: Legs-squats;lunges ( 5 sets per exercise)
          Shoulders-Military press( 6 sets) Lateral raises( 3 sets)

Day 3: Chest- Flat bench(5 sets)
          Triceps-French press;C.G bench; pushdowns( 4 sets per exercise)

I want to change this to 1 bodypart per day. In other words

Monday:Back
Tuesday: Shoulders
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday-Chest
Friday-Arms

My question then is:
1.Is this advisable, bearing in mind that I will be using the same exercise and sets per bodypart?

Many thanks
Shin.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Training frequency question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »
If you move to one bodypart a day, I would increase the sets to around 12 per body part, or 3-4 exercises per body part at 3-4 sets.  I do  5 day split, one bodypart a day, except arms I hit twice such as:
Back/Tris    or   Chest/Tris
Chest/Bis         Back/Bis
Shoulders
Legs
Tris/Bis

I would hit a rest day in the middle of the split.  Should work good for you, nice to hit a body part for a full hour, shred the s**t out of it.  Just be careful on yoru recovery time so you dont overtrain, thats what I would watch for.

kurbin

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:34:13 AM »
Hey all, what's going on?  I'm brand new to this website and i've become absolutely addicted to these forums. 

Anyway, I've been training for about 1.5 years now, and I pretty much workout 6-7 days a week.  I have had awesome results, especially the past 6 months (after I changed my method).  But I can't help but think that I'm overworking.  I work out one bodypart a day, 4-5 exercises, 4-5 sets depending which it is.  Cardio each weekday, 3.5 miles (awesome warmup for the lifting may I add). 

However, I really want some constructive criticism on my apperance.  I think I lack size in my legs, definition in my bicepts, and size in my lats. 

Hoo-ah!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:54:15 AM »
YOu have Great potential bud. Look like you could realy put on size easy.
I back off the cardio if you want big. You are lean to start with.
Learn real good form, and get HEAVY on the big 3. Bench squat Deads.

Shinobi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 05:46:02 AM »
G.B thanks for taking the time out to reply.
Sound good.Not so sure I want to train bis/tris 2x a week, though.

I figure, that I would have to gradually increase my sets to around 10-12 per bodypart. I am going to try this routine for about 3 months and then  change it again.

thanks again.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 10:43:52 AM »
Hey all, what's going on?  I'm brand new to this website and i've become absolutely addicted to these forums. 

Anyway, I've been training for about 1.5 years now, and I pretty much workout 6-7 days a week.  I have had awesome results, especially the past 6 months (after I changed my method).  But I can't help but think that I'm overworking.  I work out one bodypart a day, 4-5 exercises, 4-5 sets depending which it is.  Cardio each weekday, 3.5 miles (awesome warmup for the lifting may I add). 

However, I really want some constructive criticism on my apperance.  I think I lack size in my legs, definition in my bicepts, and size in my lats. 

Yeah with that type of intensity it will be difficult for you to put on mass.  I think many people underestimate the importance of rest.  Thats when your mucles repair and grow.  YOu dont give them time to repair and grow, you will not make any gains.  You will tone up and get lean, but if adding mass is your goal you need to cut some shit out.  I have a hard time hitting it 5 days a week and thats doesnt inlcude cardio. 

AVBG

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »

You look great. However, if you feel you need some more size it would be best to increase rest to maximise your recovery at the same time you will need to up the calories..

Post a leg shot and one of your back.

kurbin

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 08:42:56 AM »
Hey ya'll, what's going on?  I took some pics yesterday and I wanted to post them to see what yall would think.  These are taken a little less than one year afterwards the other one above.  I do not take any supplements, except for protein once a day.  However I intend to go on creatine starting this week.  I still need sometime to work on my legs, as I am ashamed of them for pictures lol
Hoo-ah!

kurbin

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 08:51:19 AM »
another
Hoo-ah!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »
Lookn good Kurb.
Ever run the weight up Heavy as possible w/ DB rows? wrist straps time to time? Shoot for reps w/ the 100's! ;)

Pullovers across bench?  Rack pull/ partial deadlifts in the cage for very heavy weight?
These were allways some of my favs.   

The heavy power rack pulls can stress legs too. Heavy leg press? Squats if they suit you?

Heavy shrugs?