Author Topic: Gingrich Had Affair During Clinton Probe  (Read 2526 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Gingrich Had Affair During Clinton Probe
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »
Gingrich Had Affair During Clinton Probe
By BEN EVANS
Associated Press Writer
March 8, 2007, 8:42 PM EST

WASHINGTON -- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich acknowledged he was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

"The honest answer is yes," Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials."

Widely considered a mastermind of the Republican revolution that swept Congress in the 1994 elections, Gingrich remains wildly popular among many conservatives. He has repeatedly placed near the top of Republican presidential polls recently, even though he has not formed a campaign.

Gingrich has said he is waiting to see how the Republican field shapes up before deciding in the fall whether to run.

Reports of extramarital affairs have dogged him for years as a result of two messy divorces, but he has refused to discuss them publicly.

Gingrich, who frequently campaigned on family values issues, divorced his second wife, Marianne, in 2000 after his attorneys acknowledged Gingrich's relationship with his current wife, Callista Bisek, a former congressional aide more than 20 years younger than he is.

His first marriage, to his former high school geometry teacher, Jackie Battley, ended in divorce in 1981. Although Gingrich has said he doesn't remember it, Battley has said Gingrich discussed divorce terms with her while she was recuperating in the hospital from cancer surgery.

Gingrich married Marianne months after the divorce.

"There were times when I was praying and when I felt I was doing things that were wrong. But I was still doing them," he said in the interview. "I look back on those as periods of weakness and periods that I'm ... not proud of."

Gingrich's congressional career ended in 1998 when he abruptly resigned from Congress after poor showings from Republicans in elections and after being reprimanded by the House ethics panel over charges that he used tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Gingrich Had Affair During Clinton Probe
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »
His second wife was 20 years younger than him.  She must have been in it for the money; I refuse to believe that there are women who find this man sexually attractive.  :-X

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 06:55:04 PM »
And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. Leviticus 20:10

Ooh, I hope CNN has live coverage!  ;D

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 07:00:35 PM »
So what? I wouldn't have an affair but it's stupid to assert his affair renders him morally deficient in all areas of life. Hell, if he came out of the closet it wouldn't mean a damn thing.

Why does an affair or someone else being gay supposed to make other gays feel better or less judged? Maybe there is a mental illness component to being gay afterall.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
This is a shocking development. I can't believe Gingrich turned out to be a lying hypocritical blowhard. Shocking.

So what? I wouldn't have an affair but it's stupid to assert his affair renders him morally deficient in all areas of life. Hell, if he came out of the closet it wouldn't mean a damn thing.

Why does an affair or someone else being gay supposed to make other gays feel better or less judged? Maybe there is a mental illness component to being gay afterall.

So you're saying it wasn't hypocritical of Gingrich to lead a charge against Clinton for getting a blowjob from a fat ugly broad while he himself was having an affair?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 07:04:15 PM »
This is a shocking development. I can't believe Gingrich turned out to be a lying hypocritical blowhard. Shocking.

lol

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 07:25:34 PM »

So you're saying it wasn't hypocritical of Gingrich to lead a charge against Clinton for getting a blowjob from a fat ugly broad while he himself was having an affair?

The whole thing was B.S., we digress. No one with a brain expects polititians to be honest, LOL!

The question is... why would Gingrich matter at all to gays? Poor comparison, but it would be like be celebrating David Duke's daughter marrying a black guy. Something that trivial doesn't mean a damn thing to normal-thinking people.

We know who cares. Why? Is the question.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »
IMO, nobody should give a shit what others do in the bedroom.

However, once you take the moral high horse, and criticize others for their behavior, you are open for discussion and you should be labeled a hypocrite.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:16:31 PM »
Well, to be fair, he DIDNT LIE UNDER OATH AND THEN PERJURE HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about it.  People miss the point on the Lewinsky scandal.

He didn't tell the world "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" and have his wife declare a "vast rightwing conspiracy" when it was all true.
Valhalla awaits.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:09:11 PM »
of course clinton was a douche, who did commit perjury, who should have been removed for it.

And of course, libby lied also, and did one worse by outing a CIA agent and blowing the cover of every agent she ever introduced.  Men and women could have died from the info he put out there.  It's a serious thing, and I don't know why people are calling him a hero who needs pardoned. 

THE MAN LEAKED A CIA IDENTITY, RISKING REVEALING EVERYONE SHE HAD EVER WORKED WITH.

IMO, to defend this is treasonous.  To defend revealing top secret info, with lives at stake, is disgusting.  Libby wanted to discredit wilson/plame, but revealed spies "in the field" by outing her.  It's a crime.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 09:10:09 PM »
Well, to be fair, he DIDNT LIE UNDER OATH AND THEN PERJURE HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about it.  People miss the point on the Lewinsky scandal.

He didn't tell the world "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" and have his wife declare a "vast rightwing conspiracy" when it was all true.

Tell me you're not trying to defend Gingrich with this post?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 09:14:02 PM »
cav,

do you condemn gingrich for his actions?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »

So lying under oath is different than lying not under oath?

Isn't it still lying?

Isn't it still cheating?

Isn't he still a morally inept hypocrite scum?

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:17:59 PM »
So lying under oath is different than lying not under oath?

Isn't it still lying?

Isn't it still cheating?

Isn't he still a morally inept hypocrite scum?

Bwahahhaaaaa

He's actually trying to defend Gingrich. LOL

Gingrich is having an extramarital affair at the same time he's going after Clinton for having an extramarital affair and that dude is trying to defend him.  ::)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
Bwahahhaaaaa

He's actually trying to defend Gingrich. LOL

Gingrich is having an extramarital affair at the same time he's going after Clinton for having an extramarital affair and that dude is trying to defend him.  ::)

I wonder if we are going to hear the:

"His affair had nothing to do with how well he did his job argument" 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 09:22:57 PM »
I wonder if we are going to hear the:

"His affair had nothing to do with how well he did his job argument" 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

There are times when making a statement based solely on partisan politics lowers your IQ by 40 points. This is an example of one of those times.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 09:23:24 PM »
Pathetic that everyday people will throw their integrity out the window when someone from their party does something bad.

IMO, if parties were TOUGHER on their people - things would improve.  When mark Foley got caught, they covered it up.  They SHOULD have booted him themselves to show they don't tolerate that shit in the party.

I feel sorry for people who cannot criticize the bad actions of those in their own party.  Simply put, I do not trust them.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 09:29:03 PM »
ok  here's the question:

who on this board will sacrifice their integrity to defend that?    ;D ;D

Purge_WTF

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 07:24:20 AM »
  Man, I can't believe this!

Someone actually wanted to have sex with Newt Gingrich?!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 07:37:03 AM »
Half the neotaints here believe that if you don't give Newt a BJ, the terrorists win.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 10:59:41 AM »
Reverend Jerry Falwell Praises Newt Gingrich's Admission About Affair
Friday, March 09, 2007

LYNCHBURG, Va. —  Newt Gingrich's admission of an extramarital affair as he pursued President Clinton's impeachment in the Monica Lewinsky scandal has won praise from another conservative Christian leader: the Rev. Jerry Falwell.

It's also helped to gain Gingrich an invitation to deliver the commencement address at Falwell's Liberty University. Gingrich is considered a possible Republican presidential contender, although he has not announced any intention to run.

In an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson that aired Friday, Gingrich admitted to the affair in 1998. In 2000, he divorced his second wife, Marianne, after his attorneys acknowledged his relationship with Callista Bisek, a former congressional aide now his wife.

"He has admitted his moral shortcomings to me, as well, in private conversations," Falwell wrote in a weekly newsletter sent Friday to members of the Moral Majority Coalition and The Liberty Alliance. "And he has also told me that he has, in recent years, come to grips with his personal failures and sought God's forgiveness."

Gingrich, 63, a former Georgia congressman who served as Republican speaker of the House after leading the party to its first House majority in 40 years, has been married three times. He has supported a family-values agenda as a candidate, and his two divorces have sparked reports of extramarital affairs as well as charges of hypocrisy from critics.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich Acknowledges Having Affair During Clinton Impeachment He abruptly resigned from Congress in 1998 after Republicans faired poorly in midterm elections. He also was reprimanded by the House ethics panel in connection with using tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals.

Clinton's impeachment by the House was driven by charges of perjury and obstruction of justice stemming from sworn statements about an affair with Lewinsky while she was a White House intern. In the Dobson interview, Gingrich argued that he should not be seen as a hypocrite and suggested he had an obligation to pursue the charges against Clinton.

Falwell, in his newsletter, said he has usually been able to tell when a man who has experienced "moral collapse" was genuinely seeking forgiveness. "My sense tells me that Mr. Gingrich is such a man," he wrote.

"I well remember the challenge we evangelicals faced in 1980 when our candidate, Ronald Reagan, was the first presidential candidate who had gone through a divorce. We wisely made allowance for God's forgiveness and America was the beneficiary of this historic champion," Falwell added.

The invitation to speak at commencement is not an endorsement of Gingrich, Falwell said.

Another potential GOP contender, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, spoke at Liberty's commencement last year. McCain's appearance followed a reconciliation with Falwell, who had been at odds with McCain during the 2000 campaign for the Republican nomination.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258115,00.html

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 12:08:06 PM »
fucking hypocrite

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 12:20:40 PM »
And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. Leviticus 20:10

Ooh, I hope CNN has live coverage!  ;D

the Bible sure does make things simple

Isn't Adultery one of the ten commandments?

Why haven't Dobson or Falwell used the biblical term for this instead of the secular "extramarital affair"?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »
Screw the bible.

Gotta love those glass houses.

I'm happy I'm not a 'sinner' like the rest of you fools.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 08:54:05 AM »
IMO, nobody should give a shit what others do in the bedroom.

However, once you take the moral high horse, and criticize others for their behavior, you are open for discussion and you should be labeled a hypocrite.

Kind of like taking the moral high horse on the environment and then running up a $30K annual electric bill and taking private jets around the world to promote your book deals? Oh wait, Gore is a lib. I heard all of you guys backing Gore the other day for the same hypocritical BS
gotta love life