Author Topic: Wikipedia Pro-Bodybuilders profiles. Please help me improve them.  (Read 23066 times)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Wikipedia has NO credibility
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
why'd u name that "kkk" ;D

Oops, I meant to name it KK.
E

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »
hahahha, seeing Adonis's picture up under natural bodybuilder was classic. Brilliant!!!!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2007, 12:17:38 PM »
Treat Wikipedia like you treat any research material...BEcayse all of it is edited by people...If it isnt cited then dont give it too much credit.
Good point, mal. In any research, use as many references as you can and use reasoned skepticism. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2007, 12:21:11 PM »
Good point, mal. In any research, use as many references as you can and use reasoned skepticism. 

Exactly...we can sift through the bs...and even if its not on wikipedia and on something else it still needs sources.

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
"The person in the picture of a "natural bodybuilder posing" clearly shows the idea of bodybuilding: it doesn't matter if your face look like if you've been hit with a brick, you just try to make the most out of your body."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding#Sport

:o :o :o

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2007, 12:32:06 PM »
I remember when some clown made a wikipedia about me. Those were the days.  ::)

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2007, 12:36:28 PM »

ANYONE can put ANYTHING on it.

HAHA
What a revelation!  A "wiki" site, allows anyone to post on it!  Amazing. lol
Y

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2007, 12:38:27 PM »
just push some weight!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »
Yes and no. Textbooks, journals, thesis docs, etc... are generally (always?) written by an expert...biased/mistaken or not, they'll have a very high percentage of accuate information.

Wiki? Fuxk. Any douche can add/edit it. TA could go up and write a whole thing about "Proper Bodybuilding Nutrition" and say that McDonalds and Ben & Jerrys are staples. No one will know the difference until someone (a person who actaully cares to go through the steps, and who knows) flags it -- even then it'll wait for a mod -- and even then, the mod can only blank it out (not replace it w/ correct info)...or they have to edit it themselves.

Wiki is stupid. The people who made it are stupid billiant (idiot savants).

Wikipedia is a brilliant idea.

It works since most of the contributors to it are genuine.

One would think that Wiki would be sabotaged by trolls, but as a matter of fact, when Brittanica Encyclopaedia and Wikipedia were tested against each other a year ago, Wikipedia more than held its own.

Once in awhile, you'll see an article or a topic being messed with, but the absolute majority of people are honest.

To be honest, I feel sorry for Abeles. Did someone upload that picture to make it look like he's delusional?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2007, 12:46:59 PM »
What is Adonis doing in Wikipedia??
And why is there talk about steroids referring to his pic, i thought he was natural? :o

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2007, 12:48:04 PM »
Alright I think I may stand corrected here.  Maybe it takes alot more interested readership to keep the information accurate on Wikipedia.  Probably given an infinite number of people who could contribute, the facts might stay somewhat straight.  But maybe bodybuilding is too isolated of an interest for the information not to be too regularly corrupted to be taken seriously.  Which articles qualify to be locked so that they can't be vandalized?  Recently I read where credit was given to Wikipedia for keeping the Anna Nicole articles relatively reliable during the days following her passing, but I guess there are going to be alot more responsible people watching over that sort of thing though.    

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »
Yes and no. Textbooks, journals, thesis docs, etc... are generally (always?) written by an expert...biased/mistaken or not, they'll have a very high percentage of accuate information.
Agree. But even tho it may be peer-reviewed etc., at the end of the day it is just one perspective so use lots of such sources to do your research.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »
I think I am a great Lifetime Natural Bodybuilder.

Such a shame that most are jealous.

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2007, 12:52:54 PM »

So you ARE natural? Thought so....
BTW, did YOU put that pic of you on wikipedia? Just curious...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2007, 12:55:38 PM »
So you ARE natural? Thought so....
BTW, did YOU put that pic of you on wikipedia? Just curious...

Lifetime Natural.  I am featured for a good reason.  People need to see what a true Lifetime Natural bodybuilder looks like.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2007, 01:01:14 PM »
amazing how long it took most of you to realize that Adonis's picture was up there. Did you think it was Steve Reeves?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2007, 01:01:55 PM »
Alright I think I may stand corrected here.  Maybe it takes alot more interested readership to keep the information accurate on Wikipedia.  Probably given an infinite number of people who could contribute, the facts might stay somewhat straight.  But maybe bodybuilding is too isolated of an interest for the information not to be too regularly corrupted to be taken seriously.  Which articles qualify to be locked so that they can't be vandalized?  Recently I read where credit was given to Wikipedia for keeping the Anna Nicole articles relatively reliable during the days following her passing, but I guess there are going to be alot more responsible people watching over that sort of thing though.     

I think the uproar something like this creates is a perfect example of the excellence of wikipedia.

Perhaps this will result in corrections (several) of the faulty information and in the end a different picture. Perhaps a picture of Chris Thomas.

I am by no means an expert of Wikipedia, but as it happens, I went to a seminar on Wikipedia and how it has developed the other day.

Quite interesting, and the take-home message was somehow that most of the internet users want correct information on the net, and take pride in not writing BS. Ie, most articles are correct from the beginning, and they're only improved, not corrected.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Buttsuck

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding

Just goes to show ya ANYONE can put ANYTHING on it.
Epic jealousy

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
I think the uproar something like this creates is a perfect example of the excellence of wikipedia.

Perhaps this will result in corrections (several) of the faulty information and in the end a different picture. Perhaps a picture of Chris Thomas.

I am by no means an expert of Wikipedia, but as it happens, I went to a seminar on Wikipedia and how it has developed the other day.

Quite interesting, and the take-home message was somehow that most of the internet users want correct information on the net, and take pride in not writing BS. Ie, most articles are correct from the beginning, and they're only improved, not corrected.

-Hedge

Interesting.  Maybe after this initial surge in interest passes, things will tend to sort themselves out over there.  

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
Epic jealousy
Indeed.

Its coming out of their ears and fingertips. 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »
TA could go up and write a whole thing about "Proper Bodybuilding Nutrition" and say that McDonalds and Ben & Jerrys are staples.

Don't give him any ideas.  :)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
Now that is funny.   ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2007, 02:13:44 PM »
Wikipedia is a brilliant idea.

It works since most of the contributors to it are genuine.

One would think that Wiki would be sabotaged by trolls, but as a matter of fact, when Brittanica Encyclopaedia and Wikipedia were tested against each other a year ago, Wikipedia more than held its own.

Once in awhile, you'll see an article or a topic being messed with, but the absolute majority of people are honest.

To be honest, I feel sorry for Abeles. Did someone upload that picture to make it look like he's delusional?

-Hedge

Actually, Wikipedia has been shown to be more reliable that Brittanica due to it being available for anyone to update.

For instance... I read something, I know it's wrong... I cite a reference on why it's wrong and it's corrected... Also, if something changes, it can be updated in real time... With a normal encyclopedia, you will have to buy a new volume to get the latest content.

Wikipedia is quite a fantastic resource... Let's face it though, if you're doing a thesis or something of that nature, you have to have NUMEROUS sources to support your theory... Wikipedia won't get you a Master's degree by any stretch.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2007, 02:14:54 PM »

LOL. Perhaps it's maybe that most of us have a modicum of humility.  :)

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »
the great princess decided to praise us with her presence, you couldnt resist could you