Author Topic: Religious Censorship  (Read 2506 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Religious Censorship
« on: March 09, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Colossus (the man, the myth  :)) posted this on the Religion board.  It ties in to the discussion the other day about censorship.  I think this is an example of censorship of religious expression that happens quite a bit. 

School officials reverse earlier decision; now will run yearbook ad that mentions 'God'
Allie Martin
www.OneNewsNow.com
March 9, 2007

Officials at one California public high school will pay thousands of dollars in printing costs to restore religious references to a yearbook ad after parents complained their rights were violated.

The controversy arose after yearbook staff at Liberty Union High School in Brentwood changed a parent's ad for his son's graduation from "May God bless your life" to "May He bless your life." The parent who placed the ad, Jeff Renner, contacted Sacramento-based Pacific Justice Institute (PJI), which sent a letter to school officials demanding that the original ads be reprinted.

PJI president Brad Dacus says the issue has been resolved. "We're not talking about the public school district saying this to that son who's graduating," he explains; "we're talking about parents paying money for the ad to make this expression."

School officials had stated that their policies were consistent with other districts, but Dacus says that should never interfere with constitutional rights of free speech. "Irrespective of their policies or policies in other school districts, the U.S. Constitution trumps any such policies," the attorney says.

Continuing, Dacus says the First Amendment of the Constitution "makes it very clear that school districts cannot engage in anti-religious censorship of private speech that they allow to be included in their materials -- and in this case, in the yearbook.

"School districts and the government must be neutral, not hostile, to religion," the PJI president emphasizes. "That's required by the First Amendment."

The school will now allow religious references in yearbook ads and will pay $8,000 to reprint the ad that was changed.

All Original Content Copyright 2006-2007 American Family News Network - All Rights Reserved

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Religious Censorship
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 02:29:54 AM »
Good Decision! I give it 2 thumbs up  :)
w

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 03:39:59 PM »

Goddammit...will all those religious whackos (on both sides of the fence) just stfu??

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 04:05:32 PM »
monster distraciton from things that matter.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »
monster distraciton from things that matter.

...but you do have to admit it was a good decision... no?
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
once i realized it was a distractor issue on such a micro scale, i stopped reading.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 08:04:59 PM »
...but you do have to admit it was a good decision... no?

You mean . . . we actually . . . agree??  :o

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »
Yeah, it's all bullshit.