Author Topic: Stallworth 1 year deal (with option for 6) is a good one.  (Read 1455 times)

body88

Stallworth 1 year deal (with option for 6) is a good one.
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
The pats just picked up Dante Stollworth grabbing a great contract in the process. He is here for one year at a few million dollars indefinitely ,which is a good price for him. The great part is the deal is , there is then a 5 year option at the start of the 2008 season that has been pre negotiated. If the patriots are not happy with his production this year, or the deal as a whole, they can cut him a zero loss in 08. The only money they would owe him is the few mill from this year. Stallworth is scheduled to make the lions share of his 12 million guaranteed in the last 5 years of his contract, which they can opt out of. The first year is a small amount of the deal. At worst they can use him for a year while developing a wr they draft, then cut him. At best they can ink a deal for a top flight guy at a good price. The only way he can get payed like a top guy is to play like one. The beauty part is the last years of the deal can be restructured or can be cut. Basically the pats have all the power in this deal and Stallworth has to earn his 5 year option. They also inked clauses that protect them from suspensions or certain performance altering injury. This whole deal is based on performace and is very low risk, with the ability to have high returns. Stallworth gives them a legit deep threat. Opens up the running game etc etc. A luxury they did not have last year. Since this is a one year deal, it gives them the ability tp draft and develope. The only was I see Stallworth here in 08 is if he has a monster season... Which he just might, I hope!

With the free agent moves having nine draft picks including two first rounders is going to really open some options up for us this coming draft. The final number of cap space they have left is roughly 8 million with all players and fa tendered. They draft well so I hope they get some nice depth and guys to develop. The two first rounders need to be used on a Linebacker and a SS to develop behind Thomas and Harrison. Willis and Nelson look like great candidates. Nelson ran a 4.3 at his pro day....

I love this deal for another reason. Everyone thought the pats just let Branch walk. The facts are that Branch was under contract and decided to hold out. The pats tried to give him more money and then restructure him after he fulfilled the final year of the contract. He refused and wanted to tear up his current contract before the season was played. Needless to say he walked for a first rounder to Seattle.Branch is getting 3.5 mill a year in Seattle. We got Stallworth for less, a first round pick, and the ability to cut him after the first year at no loss if he does not perform the way we expect. This was a good deal. I think this also gives Chad jackson the ability to develop at a better pace.

To those who think the pats are spending a lot its nothing new. They have spent to the cap on every year of there superbowl runs. They had 24 free agents on the team in 01 actually. The only difference is this year they have all there own players locked up and 30 million bucks. In previous years all the cap space went to guys like Dillon, Brady , Seymour , Wilfork etc etc. They where forced to spend all there money in house, which they took care of fully last year and finally got the entire O and D core locked up long term.  Either way, they are still 8 million under with all moves complete

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Stallworth 1 year deal (with option for 6) is a good one.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »
No question New England will be a pre season super bowl favorite coming into '07. Their offseason I would say in a word?

Aggressive. Now let's see how they draft.

body88

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 03:44:12 PM »
No question New England will be a pre season super bowl favorite coming into '07. Their offseason I would say in a word?

Aggressive. Now let's see how they draft.

I agree 100 percent. I dont care how good this Stallworth deal was (or any fa moves for that matter), they need to use those nine picks effectively to accentuate the fa holes that where filled. One strong point is the 2 first rounders this year.

They have gotten draft grades of A over the past five years. I hope that continues. Piloli and Belichick are good talent evaluators so I believe in them. Can we forget the Johnson draft a few years ago? He is fast right???

I think they should consult the ravens on a mid round lb or de to develope behind Thomas. You guys always draft the bedest mofos in any round. I am high on Reggie Nelson at s and Patrick Willis at lb. Those guys are the obvious picks tho.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 05:06:33 PM »
Good signing.  Poor McNabb. . . .

body88

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 05:59:48 PM »
Good signing.  Poor McNabb. . . .

Beach... Pm me I need to ask you about that back from Hawaii.. The big mofo.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 07:01:24 AM »
Even though Stallworth is injury prone, based on the contract it's still a good sigining. A good deep threat receiver with exceptional hands.

Not to mention they shored up with Wes Walker, Kyle Brady and Sammy Morris who will all play parts.

Good for the Pats.

body88

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 07:55:50 AM »
Even though Stallworth is injury prone, based on the contract it's still a good signing. A good deep threat receiver with exceptional hands.

Not to mention they shored up with Wes Walker, Kyle Brady and Sammy Morris who will all play parts.

Good for the Pats.

I was curious so I checked out his stats. Out of the last 44 games he has missed 4. He played all sixteen games in 2004 and 2005. He played in 12 last year. Over his career he has played in 68 games and missed 12. Including his rookie year. He has played in more games then Dieon Branch in the same amount of time. He has twice the td's of branch and a better average. He is also making less money then Branch. Maybe a beter situation will keep that sore hammy  he had for 4 games last year feeling nice and healthy. Either way I like this signing because it is a one year deal with no risk. A win win situation really. They get him for peanuts, and have the ability to cut him loose in 08 if it does not work out. They will only keep him if he turns out to be a pro b bowl caliber player with Brady. If that where to happen they would have gotten a deep threat replacement for Branch at less $$ and netted a first rounder in the process. He also took less money to play here then the Titans where offering him. You have to respect that.

I really like the Wes Welker move. Watching him play in Miami he is a little shit, who always killed us. He led his team in receptions and will be a perfect replacement for Troy Brown. Brings the exact same skill set with the added ability to return kicks. Will work in the slot, return kicks and pick up first downs.

Sammy Morris is a nice vetran guy to flank Maronry, Faulk and Evans. With Maroney stepping up to take the full load this year, Sammy is a great back to compliment The sophomore's and Kevin Faulk. Got him for a good deal, and will really be able to utalize his short yardage abilities... Corey counted for almost five million against the cap for 08. Grabbing Morris for cheap money was a good move imo. Corey did a lot for us, and I loved him as a player. It was quit evident he needed to restructure after this season tho. He is not the same back anymore. Pioli said the pats cut him after he refused to take a lesser role to Maroney. The retirement crap was spin put out by his agent, cant blame him tho. I wish him well.

Kyle Brady was a good pick up to be a number 3 blocking tight end. With Watson being "the guy" and the emergence of David Thomas last year Brady will be a nice compliment to both those guys. Brady is here to block and at 6'6 280 should do a good job of it. Graham got 15 million from Denver in guaranteed money over 5 years. Graham was a good player, but there is no way he is worth that much to us. In our system anyway. I wish him well tho, he is a good player and deserves to cash in. I think the emergence of the rookie Thomas sured up the position some what. Along with Watson he has great hand and is very athletic.

Adalius Thomas is self explanatory... Belichick basically created the hybrid lb position. He is perfect for our defense. Big fast and versitile. Can drop into coverage, as well as rush the passer. has played all 5 defensive positions including corner! They love versatile players who can do multiple things. The reason I liked this signing so much was he could have made more money elswhere but choose to sign in NE. That and his ability and great charector. He is a great guy to develop a young lb behind, which they will pick up in the draft. Not to mention lb was such a weakness for us this year he is a immediate fix while a guy is drafted and developed. Tully is a good backup, but he was not starter in our system. Thomas is the perfect solution while a guy is drafted and developed. I hope they bring back Jr for added depth, and to help coach up whatever rookie we draft. Cant go wrong for the vet minimum.

Asante Samuel was franchised and looks close to being signed... A shut down corner who had a huge year for us. He was on the news yesterday and spoke about his negotiations. One got the feelings he would be signed to a long term deal soon. he seemed upbeat and very positive about the negotiations.

They used free agency very effectively this year to get the "immediate needs". Now it is time to draft. Pioli, Belichick and the pats staff are some of the best at evaluating and drafting talent. You need to draft well to back up the solid fa additions. They need to look at the cornerback position, the ss position, and the linebacker position. I expect them to draft a few wr's also, since the draft is so deep in them. They have nine picks and 2 first rounders this year. They draft well so I hope the trend continues.

All the core players where locked up last year with the cap money and they still have about 8 million in cap space this year, after these moves.  With all our core players locked up and tendered, it was cool to have almost 30 million in cap space to fill holes and get better. I look forward to the season. Have a .530 scedule tho, so we are going to need all the new talent!