Author Topic: Democrat Congressman: "Idiot Liberals"  (Read 802 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Democrat Congressman: "Idiot Liberals"
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:40:42 PM »
Link to video clip of his comments and the end.

Congressman's video blunder shows Democrats split on war
By Christina Bellantoni
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 10, 2007

A video of Rep. David R. Obey criticizing anti-war Democrats as "idiot liberals" circulated on Capitol Hill yesterday, with Republicans using it as an example of Democrats' split over the Iraq war.

The 20-term Wisconsin Democrat, who voted against authorizing force in Iraq in 2002, was caught in an unflattering light on tape by the Occupation Project, an anti-war group making the rounds on the Hill.

Yesterday, the chairman of the House Appropriations Committee apologized for yelling at the group and said his outburst was "another example of a country needlessly and painfully divided on a war that I have opposed from the beginning."

When members of the group, including the mother of an Iraq veteran, asked during a six-minute impromptu conversation if he supported cutting troop funding as a way to end the war in Iraq, Mr. Obey exploded.

"We're trying to use the supplemental to end the war ... it's time these idiot liberals understand that," he said. "There's a big difference between funding the troops and ending the war."

Mr. Obey was responding to Tina Richards' question about whether he would oppose the more than $100 billion supplemental spending bill that funds the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"Absolutely not. I'm the sponsor of it for heaven sakes," he said, later asserting that the supplemental bill "ends the war."

"If that isn't good enough for you, then you're smoking something that ain't legal," Mr. Obey said.

"No I'm not, sir," a man accompanying Mrs. Richards responded.

The encounter started off on the wrong foot, as Mrs. Richards told a flustered Mr. Obey she'd left in his office a poem written by her son, a Marine just called for a third deployment in Iraq. It went downhill from there, with Mr. Obey pointing his finger, raising his voice and using the word "hell" at least five times.

David Swanson, a liberal blogger, first sent reporters the video at 8 p.m. Thursday, calling it "shocking."

The anti-war group recorded the exchange Monday outside Mr. Obey's office in the Rayburn House Office Building when tense negotiations on the supplemental were at their peak. The video of the encounter was quickly distributed by Republicans attempting to seize on Democratic disunity over Iraq.

. . . .

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070309-115307-5435r.htm

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Democrat Congressman: "Idiot Liberals"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
Dems are fuccked.

If they cause a pullout, you know damn well the casualties will be on a teary-eyed tony snow's lips on a daily basis for the next 20 months.  "Why did the dems cause so much bloodshed?" he will ask daily.

And since Bush is pulling out of iraqi cities in oct 2008 (acc'dking to #2 man at pentagon), the war in iraq will become a non-issue in the eleciton a month later.

Suddenly Obama won't have "I was right about the war" anymore.  Suddenly McCain's brand-new warmongering won't matter.  Pipeline will be in, their oil is ours, and the goal of the Bush presidency - strategic control of a third of the middle east and its oil - will have been achieved.  We'll have a new line of bases to fight against Chinese aggression in coming decades.

maybe I'm becoming a tad to realist in all of this.  What Bush did was good for the US long term.  his domestic bullshit - patriot act and camps - probbaly just precautionary controls should someone grow a conscience and youtube a full confession of 9/11. 

Now, will you neotains please sack up, and admit this?  Drop that whiny "spread democracy" crap - you're embarassing yourself to educated people.  it's fine when a politician talks that talk to sell a war to 300 mil sheep, but when you're debating, have the decency to speak on grade level, mmkay?