Author Topic: RIP ERNIE "BIG CAT" LADD  (Read 4005 times)

HOSTILE

• Getbig II
  • Im talented, yes Im gifted Never boosted, never sh
RIP ERNIE "BIG CAT" LADD
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:42:01 PM »

WWE Hall Of Famer "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd Passes Away
Date Added: March 11, 2007
Story By: Daniel Pena
sources: Wrestling Observer, PWInsider.com

The News Star out of Monroe, Louisiana is reporting that WWE Hall of Famer "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd has passed away. Ladd had been battling colon cancer, which spread to his stomach and bones for the past three plus years. Due to knee problems, he'd largely been confined to a wheelchair. Here is their story:

Ernie Ladd, NFL Hall of Fame football player and wrestler, has died
By Nick Deriso

Ernie Ladd, who rose to fame as a football player but made his name nationally as a wrestler, died overnight, according to family members.

Ladd, 68, had battled cancer — first in his colon, then later in his stomach and bones — since 2004. Born Nov. 28, 1938, in Rayville, but raised in Orange, Texas, he worked through his final years as a pastor in the Louisiana town of Franklin.

Funeral arrangements were still pending today, according to Roslyn Ladd, his wife of more than 45 years.

Selected 15th in the American Football League draft by San Diego out of Grambling College, Ladd appeared in three of that now-defunct league's championship games, winning the 1963 title.

"We were like a family," Ladd told The News-Star in May 2005. "We were one of the first integrated teams, with black players and white players as roommates."

He had entered professional football as a heralded 1960 first-team all-league defensive college lineman under former Grambling coach Eddie Robinson. There, Ladd helped GSU to its first-ever Southwestern Athletic Conference championship.

At 6-9 and 315 pounds, he was arguably the biggest GSU star to ever play for Robinson, who remains the all-time winningest football coach in Division I history.

"The first year he was here, he taught me a lesson," Robinson once said. "He told me how good he was. Sure, I'd say. Then he hurt somebody. I'd feel sorry for the people he was tackling."
Elected to four straight AFL All-Star Games from 1962-1965, he later played with the Houston Oilers and the National Football League's Kansas City Chiefs. While with the Chiefs, he reunited with future Pro Football Hall of Famer Junious "Buck" Buchanan, another Grambling product, and was on the roster for both of Kansas City's Super Bowl appearances.

Ladd began wrestling as a sideline during his rookie AFL season, and found the payday and fame so alluring that eventually he gave up pro football. It was there that he picked up a nickname that would remain with him for life: "Big Cat."

Ladd's storylines resonated during wrestling's earliest flowering as a national attraction, not to mention signature moves that included the "guillotine drop" and a boot to the face. Rivalries with Andre the Giant and Dusty Rhodes helped shape wrestling's 1970s persona.

Today, he's the only person in both the American Football League and World Wrestling Federation halls of fame. Ladd is also a 1994 inductee into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, and joined the San Diego Hall of Champions in 2004.

Ladd's knees were so damaged — his first surgery came while still in college — that in his final years, he walked down long staircases backward. But Ladd's boundless spirit was unbowed by his body's failures, as he displayed a touch of humor even after that cancer diagnosis.

"The doctor told me I had three-to-six months to live," Ladd said in 2005, then at the mid-way point in his nearly four year battle with the disease. "I told him Dr. Jesus has the verdict on me."

Ladd was a father of four and grandfather to over a dozen more.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: RIP ERNIE "BIG CAT" LADD
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »
Man that guy was big.  I remember watching him.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »
Back in the old AFL when Ladd was playing the clothesline and headslap were still legal. Imagine being a QB or offensive lineman in those days?
The House that Ruth built

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 02:43:54 PM »
Back in the old AFL when Ladd was playing the clothesline and headslap were still legal. Imagine being a QB or offensive lineman in those days?

This is where the saying "Brutal" really shows it's weight.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »
Bill Watts call my old man and told him today, they were both up set.  My dad sorta helped break Ladd into the business.  We just saw him at Tiger Conways funereal a few months back.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:32:48 PM »
sure he did ::)

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 07:38:34 PM »
He did alot with his life.

In the Beginning
# 1960s: Ernie Ladd played professionally for the San Diego Chargers, Houston Oilers and Kansas City Chiefs..
# Ernie Ladd was the first football player to make the transition to successful wrestler..
# Ernie Ladd initially started to team with Bobo Brazil..
# Ernie Ladd eventually turned on Brazil and started am impressive run as an arrogant outspoken heel..
# 1963: Ernie Ladd earned his first world title shot against NWA kingpin Lou Thesz..
# August 14, 1970 - AWA Comiskey Park: Blackjack Lanza and Ernie Ladd fought to a Double Disqualification..

Mid-South Wrestling
# 1981-82: Ernie Ladd managed the Wild Somoans in Mid-South Wrestling..
# ~~~The Wild Somoans won the Mid-South Tag Team titles under Ernie Ladd's guidance..
# ~~~The Wild Somoans turned on Ernie Ladd and joined General Skandar Akbar's Devestation Inc..
# ~~~Ernie Ladd recruited the legendary Assassin to help him battle the Wild Somoans..
# ~~~The Assassin ALSO turned on Ernie Ladd and joined Devestation Incorporated..
# ~~~Ernie Ladd then recruited Iron Mike Sharpe as his new partner..
# ~~~1982: Ernie Ladd & Mike Sharpe drove the Samoans out of Mid-South Wrestling..
# ~~~Ernie Ladd defeated The Assassin in singles encounters..

Retirement
# 1984: Ernie Ladd retired from the squared circle..
# Ernie Ladd briefly worked for the WWF as a broadcast announcer..
# 2000-01: Ernie Ladd helped out on the successful U.S. presidential campaign of George W. Bush..
# August 23, 2003: Ernie Ladd is featured in the Cover Story of WWE Confidential along with Interviews from The Cat..
# Ernie Ladd appeared in an episode of That 70s show, the same one where The Rock played his own father, Rocky Johnson..
# February 2005: Ernie Ladd has fully recovered from colon cancer that at one point was expected to be terminal..
# February 22, 2005: Ernie Ladd is honored in the San Diego Hall of Champions Hall of Fame..
# September 2005: Ernie Ladd ministered to evacuees at the Astrodome who had been transported from New Orleans after the floods..

Notable Feuds:    Bruno Sammartino                                                   
Gene Kiniski
Andre the Giant
Gorilla Monsoon
Haystacks Calhoun
Chief Jay Strongbow
Abdullah The Butcher
The Sheik
Dick the Bruiser

It is my sad duty to let all of our fans out there know that former WWE Superstar and Hall of Famer "The Big Cat" Ernie Ladd passed away at the age of 68 last night after losing a long and rough battle with cancer since 2004.

Ladd was one of the very few athletes who were able to really cross the boundaries between two sports, as he was a star lineman at Louisiana’s Grambling State University and went onto the NFL where he played with the Houston Oilers, the Kansas City Chiefs, and the San Diego Chargers where he found his greatest success, being part of the Chargers 1963 AFL Championship team and being part of 4 consecutive AFL All-Star Games from 1962-1965.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=134039.0

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=134030.0

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 09:07:05 PM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 09:14:42 AM »
jack kemp former quarterback and congressman has a pic in his office of himself getting ready to throw a pass with the big cat ernie ladd closing in for the sack. he has it captioned if this doesn't scare me nothing will.
F