Author Topic: Is iraq worth the price of vicotry?  (Read 3307 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Is iraq worth the price of vicotry?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 05:58:17 PM »
You know, I wish the generals would pull rank and just bring the soldiers back home. Just disregard the President. Deal with the flames later on and just resign. It would probably be the first time in American History that a mass disregard for the Commander in Chief would be implemented. But who wuold you the President indict

Hell the Pres never went to Congress for permission to go to war, no President has since Truman. So...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »
Ozmo what I'm trying to get at is what you consider to be a worthy cause for the sacrifice of American lives.  What about Afghanistan?  Was that conflict worth the lives of our men and women who died there? 

We don't have to agree.  I just don't think I could ever look at a conflict and determine whether the conflict was a worthy one based on the number of lives we lost. 

another thing is, what if we lose? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2007, 07:04:29 PM »
wasn't it last week that a number of generals said they would resign if Bush invaded Iran?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »
another thing is, what if we lose? 

Lose what?  What were our objectives going into the war and what have we accomplished? 

There has been a lot of revisionist history going on with this war discussion (in the country in general). 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »
We met every one of Bush's pre-war goals.

WMD, saddam, and democracy.

Now it's goal #4, finding peace between warring factions.

And #5, the oil...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2007, 08:46:31 PM »
Lose what?  What were our objectives going into the war and what have we accomplished? 

There has been a lot of revisionist history going on with this war discussion (in the country in general). 

If we leave and an unfriendly government takes over, we have lost.  And all those people that died will have died for nothing.

we did meet the invasion objectives....that's about all.  in turn we have created a mess that makes a solution hard to find.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2007, 08:52:11 PM »
If we leave and an unfriendly government takes over, we have lost.  And all those people that died will have died for nothing.

we did meet the invasion objectives....that's about all.  in turn we have created a mess that makes a solution hard to find.

I disagree.  If we leave and a Saddam replica takes over, with either WMDs or goals to obtain them, along with all of the attributes of Saddam, then I think we will arguably have lost.  I doubt that happens.  Saddam was unique.   

If we have met the invasion objections, that sounds like winning to me.  Definitely not "losing."  What we have done is fail to properly plan for and carry out our post-invasion objectives. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »
I disagree.  If we leave and a Saddam replica takes over, with either WMDs or goals to obtain them, along with all of the attributes of Saddam, then I think we will arguably have lost.  I doubt that happens.  Saddam was unique.   

If we have met the invasion objections, that sounds like winning to me.  Definitely not "losing."  What we have done is fail to properly plan for and carry out our post-invasion objectives. 

Then qualifying what winning is, is another discussion.

If an unfriendly government that has the same attitudes as Iran towards the US?   what would you think about that?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2007, 08:59:53 PM »
Then qualifying what winning is, is another discussion.

If an unfriendly government that has the same attitudes as Iran towards the US?   what would you think about that?

I'm not sure.  I don't think we necessarily need to have a "friendly" government take over.  The entire middle east hates us.  Even our friends over there hate us.  I'll be happy if we don't have a dictator take over with the history, desire, and means to attack other countries or support terrorism. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2007, 09:06:19 PM »
al maliki hates us.  he came to DC and talked shit last year.
But, he is playing ball by agreeing to sell oil only to US firms at a discount.  So his ass stays in power.
Interestingly, the cat we put into afghanistan - karzai - was a former Unocal oil executive.

We're never leaving Iraq by the way - they'll become more independent but we'll always have thousands on their soil.  Those large US bases can't go to waste.