Author Topic: Review of Shawn Ray's Fitness after 40 DVD  (Read 1896 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Review of Shawn Ray's Fitness after 40 DVD
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:23:53 PM »
My review and notes on Shawn's newest DVD.

Grade: C

Quick notes: Good concept and idea, poor execution. Too many special effects and appeared more of a fitshow promotional piece first and a Shawn Ray story second. The credits and intro should have been cut from the DVD play. It was more like a DVD of your favorite television series than a DVD with play through. Good idea on including clips from the past and talks with old teachers as well as the visit to homecoming. I would have liked to see a build up of Shawn's past - clips from shows, photos, etc of what he looked like competing and then what he looked like currently. We do see some of it throughout but not at the very beginning to give people an idea of where he was in terms of his physique. A more detailed account of daily diet and workouts in the video would be beneficial to the people who are over 40.

Highlights:
• Two a days training back in the day and Shawn comments, "Train at different gyms, even if I have to pay".
- What Shawn Ray have to pay? Didn't they know who you were?!  ;D

• Heritage Day parade - Shawn the grand marshall of the parade. First grade teacher, Mrs. Frost comments, "he talked all the time, got in trouble for talking all the time."

• "It's a King Kamali look alike" - when approaching a clown at the parade.  ;D

• His old High School coach comments, "I met Shawn getting his ass kicked in a fight."

Questions:
Where were the pics from the IRONMAN photoshoot? Didn't see them in the over 40 issue as noted on the DVD.

What is the tat on the left shoulder?

Other Notes:

Funny extras with Bob and Shawn at the party. Handicapping of the party.

Visit at Weider office and interview with Peter McGough was good. Peter is pretty funny with commenting on Shawn and that you never had to worry about Shawn not talking. "Era was at the wrong time." on not winning the Olympia. Shawn inducted into the IFBB Hall of Fame announcement. Shawn swipes an issue of FLEX while at the offices.

Shawn goes back to El Dorado High School for their homecoming 22 years later. Pretty cool to see some of the people from the old days and going back to where he went to school. Nice integration of Shawn's glory day newspaper clips.

Shawn shows off his rides and his house. He trades in his Excursion for a Mercedes CL600. Definitely a sweet ride.

You can see Shawn loose his double chin at the 8.5 week point. Talks a little bit on his workouts but not much. Nice Denver Nuggets outfit. You actually see a couple veins in his arms after doing a chest exercise.

There was no real suspense or build up. It's more of a highlight reel of a guy who's been successful in bodybuilding and is back in the gym.
Elevate Your Image.™

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: Review of Shawn Ray's Fitness after 40 DVD
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »
Wow grab me two copies!! sounds like the next 'pumping Iron'  ::)

hahahah who the fuck is going to be dumb enough to buy this 'reality tv garbage' hahah
L

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:43:18 PM »
Lift - did the DVD go back to the main menu after every chapter was complete?  ???

Big thanks to Shawn for giving me a copy of the DVD at the expo.  8)

Phil Heath DVD coming tomorrow with lots of pics.  8)
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 09:45:44 PM »
Lift - did the DVD go back to the main menu after every chapter was complete?  ???

Big thanks to Shawn for giving me a copy of the DVD at the expo.  8)

Phil Heath DVD coming tomorrow with lots of pics.  8)

No - it ran credits after every chapter. Not a typical DVD chapter more like a TV episode and getting the credits at the end.
Elevate Your Image.™

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:53:04 AM »
Yeah I didn't like that about it either.  I also would have preferred a straight training video.  It did what it attempted to do well, but I like the traditional format better.

I like a mix of the house tour, personality, etc. but the flow wasn't there to tell the story.
Elevate Your Image.™

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »
Thanks Lift, all the constructive criticism is well noted and frustrating at the same time.
This is the ONLY DVD Production I did not have creative control over due to the terms of production. :-\
That said, you are correct in saying it was more of a Fit Show TV Production, as they were the ones producting the DVD not me.
I hate the fact that due to time constraints, they did not omit the credits after each Chapter, it does become a bit tedious but I cant complain about the Content, which every 40 year old can relate to in terms of having to get back on the horse and do something about getting in shape!

It's all good, you can get a copy at: www.shawnray.com

Peace,
Shawn