Author Topic: incline bench-all the way down?  (Read 3809 times)

Lugar

• Getbig IV
Re: incline bench-all the way down?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 11:01:56 AM »
What would you consider a full rep on a squat?  Til you touch the ground?  What constitutes a full rep?

parallel is actually a full squat.....ass to ankles is better and even more..........

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 11:58:51 AM »
What would you consider a full rep on a squat?  Til you touch the ground?  What constitutes a full rep?
On the squat I would go as deep as my range of motion would allow.

Everyones depth will vary,but ass to the grass is best if you can get that low.

At least crack paralell and it`ll be respectable............. .doing a curtsy in the Smith Machine with a ton of weight like so many do today is bullshit !!

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »
On the squat I would go as deep as my range of motion would allow.

Everyones depth will vary,but ass to the grass is best if you can get that low.

At least crack parallel and it`ll be respectable............. .doing a curtsy in the Smith Machine with a ton of weight like so many do today is bullshit !!

So on an Incline Bench press is just below parallel appropriate if that is my range of motion?  The logic should transfer over.

I think that just below 90 degree squats and presses are about the same, no one needs to go "ass to grass" or "bar to chest", it's just an arbitrary finishing point. 

I'm just trying to spur debate and get people to think that some of our logic is a bit antiquated and is rooted in myth (i.e. half rep = half development)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »
Hey Mike,do whatever you want to do......I know I always do.

I`m not gonna` argue about something so trivial,I just gave my opinion like everyone else did.

Plent of other peoples posts here to debate if they wanna` get caught up in stupidity.

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
  • Can't trust shadows after dark
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 07:42:35 AM »
Is this true?   What kinds of people notice these sorts of things? 

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.
Don't let em fool ya

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »

So on an incline Bench press is just below parallel appropriate if that is my range of motion?  The logic should transfer over.

I think that just below 90 degree squats and presses are about the same, no one needs to go "ass to grass" or "bar to chest", it's just an arbitrary finishing point. 

I'm just trying to spur debate and get people to think that some of our logic is a bit antiquated and is rooted in myth (i.e. half rep = half development)
[/quote]

Well no the logic would not transfer over, hehe.  The logic should be based on the angle of the knee joint/elbow joint.  At Parallel in a squat the angle of the knee is still narrower than incline to chest elbow.  This is the logic you should use.

IMO going all the way down is the best if you joints can handle it.  Some people have issues with structure or injury that don't allow this.

bodybusiness

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »
Since we're all talking about incline... any advice on using the incline for close grip ?  A guy at the gym suggested it to me but i feel like i'm using all my chest/front shoulder instead of my tricep.  ???

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2007, 05:25:33 PM »
ALL THE WAY DOWN BRO!

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2007, 09:37:11 AM »
all the way down but do 21's on your last set - huge pump  ;)
RIP Bob Probert

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »
Speaking of 21's, my partner and I do 2 sets at the end of biceps on the preacher station.  The best finisher IMO.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2007, 02:34:29 PM »
There are really two ideas on this. One, to stop a couple of inches short of your chest, keeping tension throughout the whole movement. Second is going completely down, which I've found even an extra inch or two means an incredible stretch. There is no right or wrong, it's simply "what works for you."

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 05:48:56 AM »
Since we're all talking about incline... any advice on using the incline for close grip ?  A guy at the gym suggested it to me but i feel like i'm using all my chest/front shoulder instead of my tricep.  ???

Kills my shoulders unless I do it on the Smith..try close grip decline......