Author Topic: Source: Packers close to deal for Moss  (Read 2039 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Source: Packers close to deal for Moss
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:24:10 AM »
Mr. Favre wants that touchdown record badly. This seems like a strange deal for Moss, Favre's career is nearly done and he's not 1/1000th the QB he used to be.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=188664

For those holding out hope that the Patriots [team stats]’ plans to revamp the wide receiver position included trading for Randy Moss, we have some bad news for you.
    A source in Wisconsin said today that the Packers and Raiders are on the verge of announcing a trade that would send the troubled receiver to Green Bay in exchange for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
    There are expected to be other particulars in the deal. According to the source, Green Bay would also give up a seventh-round pick in 2008, while the Packers would receive Raiders tight end Courtney Anderson as part of the deal. The Packers would also receive a conditional pick from the Raiders in the 2009 draft which would be based on Rodgers’ production in Oakland the next two seasons.
    The source indicated that Moss has agreed to restructure his contract, which calls for $20 million in base salary the next two years. Moss and Packers quarterback Brett Favre are said to have been talking on the phone throughout the process. Press conferences could be held as early as Friday.

body88

Re: Source: Packers close to deal for Moss
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »
Moss was quoted as saying he really wanted to play for the pats..... Then Pioli was quoted as saying, "the pats never had interest in Moss". Apparently there was never even a offer sheet. Although he is a great talent, I don't see him fitting in on the pats. Especially with the media, that is what worried me most. The media HOUNDS you in places like Boston and NYC.........

I am happy with the acquisitions of Stallworth ,Welker, and Washington. They got both Donte and Kelly for cheap money, in "no risk", one year deals. Both those deals give the pats the ability to cut ties after one year, at no loss. Both deals are based on performance. The pats can choose to extend both players in 08 if they choose to. If they extended Stallworth, they would still be getting him at a great price for a top wr. Obviously if they extend him, he performed to there expectations. Stallworth would get over a million less per year then what Deion makes if extended past the 08 season, for the full six years.. If it works out they would also reap the benefit of getting a great receiver cheaper, and the first round pick they picked up when branch decided to leave. That is if Stallworth works out like they project and they extend him. A lot of upside at no risk with this deal. Stallworth is only guaranteed a few million for the 07 season. If you look at Stallworth and Branch's career stats, Stallworth has missed less games due to injury then Deion, in the exact same amount of time. Stallworth has double the touchdowns, a better average, and more total yards in receptions. Couple that with the great contract, and the fact Stallworth is bigger, stronger, faster, and a legit deep threat, that makes this a smart pick up for the pats. Ironically Branch was the one who recommended Stallworth sign with the pats. Stallworth mentioned that in his conference call yesterday. The injury stuff is overblown. Out of the last 44 games, over three years, Stallworth missed 4. Out of his 69 career games, he has missed a total of 12. A bad situation can make a hammy mighty sore, just ask TO.  I think he will excel with Brady. Good old Troy Brown is coming back next year, and I am very happy about that. Washington cost em 300 grand,  cant pass that up. Both players turned down more money from both the Titans and Dolphins, I think that shows maturity. Since they basically have to prove themselves to get there extensions, I think they will be very focused. I am just speculating, but that is how I see it. Welker is a guy who has the exact same skill set as a young Troy Brown.  He will be very effective in the slot, and picking up first downs. Very high moter, and is also a skilled kick and punt returner. Versatile player that can do a lot of things. Had 70 receptions last year and over 33 first downs playing on a pretty awful offensive team. Contract talks are going well with Asante (says Asante and his agent), so I expect the pats to use some of that 9 million in cap space they have left, to get him locked up..............

Still wondering how they plan to use those two first rounders. They have ten picks total, including a few extra comp picks in the 3rd and 4th round (due to players leaving). I know they worked out Beason and Nelson recently. I think they worked out Meriwether also. First two picks will be defensive. They worked out Lorenzo Booker the other day. Possibly a third round pickup, to compliment Maroney, Faulk and Morris? They have take a wr at some point. I like Rice and Gonzalez. The kid from UNH might be a nice late round pick up.........

That is my opinion on the current situation lol...........

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
It doesn't make much sense to me to trade the future of the franchise for a problem player since the Packers won't come close the the Super Bowl next year.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »
Moss might've handled the media fine, that's all speculation. Between the guidance of better coaching and his own maturity born of the last few years of adversity, there's no way to make yet another assumption about what might've happened.

If he goes to GB it's likely due to the higher price they're willing to pay, nothing to do with handling the media.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
My friend is a DIE-HARD Vikings and Moss fan. He's been pissing and moaning for a week now about the potential trade.

body88

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
Moss might've handled the media fine, that's all speculation. Between the guidance of better coaching and his own maturity born of the last few years of adversity, there's no way to make yet another assumption about what might've happened.

If he goes to GB it's likely due to the higher price they're willing to pay, nothing to do with handling the media.

That could all be true, I was just offering my opinion. I could be 100 percent wrong about the guy.

I was skeptical of the deal ever being real. John Tomase all but admitted the rumors where probably false yesterday on Dale and Holley. He also pretty much admitted blowing the ruomrs up to sell papers. Scott Pioli said there was never any interest in Moss, from day one. He said that a few weeks ago, when the rumors where really hot. Pioli called the reports, "fairy tales". Micheal Holley was shooting down the rumors the first day they started as a plot to sell papers. There is no better source aside from Kraft and Pioli than Holley imo. When he wrote his most recent  book on  Belichick, he pretty much lived with him.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »
I could be 100 percent wrong about the guy.

You're not.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
You're not.

Unless you've talked to him personally during the last couple of years you don't know actually. Some change, some don't, under adverse circumstances.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 07:03:53 PM »
NFL ACCESS says that the trade is rumor and there has been no communication with either parites.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »
NFL ACCESS says that the trade is rumor and there has been no communication with either parites.

It looks like Green Bay's had the inside track from the beginning, that he'll only go elsewhere if GB can't work something out.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 12:38:42 PM »
I thought that the PATS had their eyes on him
Here comes the money shot

body88

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 01:33:18 PM »
I thought that the PATS had their eyes on him

Apparently that was rumor. According to Scot Pioli, the pats never offered Moss any type of deal. Scott Pioli called the rumors "fairy tales" on eei last week. That was followed by Tomase basically admitting it was a rumor when questioned about his sources credibility by Micheal Holley. Micheal Holley has been cutting down that rumor since it was started. He is prob the most credible source dealing with the pats, imo. He is the radio host who you might have seen on around the horn. Writes from the globe, and wrote the most recent book on Belichick.

A few sources said Moss was interested in playing for the patriots, but no offer was ever made to him. That is what I have gathered listening to all the reports. No way to tell really.