Author Topic: To Berserker: On why they "don't get it"  (Read 1040 times)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
To Berserker: On why they "don't get it"
« on: March 16, 2007, 09:38:01 AM »
You asked why BeachBum "doesn't get" the simple fact that Bush, Cheney, Gonzales, etc. lying to Congress and to us about their political machinations is wrong... you know, a bad thing.

It's not that he doesn't get it. Bum isn't stupid. He simply doesn't care. Hence the constant yawning.  :)

This is the part of the Republican mindset that we have the most trouble understanding - that unassailable "I've got mine" complacency. Their severely limited ability to identify with others is strictly reserved for those "like us" - or higher-ups whose position and affluence they envy.

Point out that it's bad manners to address someone by a term they find demeaning and they don't - can't - imagine being part of a minority that is demeaned on a daily basis. "Oh, here comes the PC police!" they sneer - resentful of having even this small parcel of their majority privilege impinged upon. "Whatever happened to freedom of speech, huh?"

Point out an elderly black woman floating face down in the drowned streets of New Orleans and they don't - can't - see a human being who had crushes in junior high school and worked a minimum-wage job for a boss she disliked and wished her kids would call her more often. They see a "welfare queen" - or some other Limbaugh-approved stereotype they can pleasurably resent. "She should have worked harder to make enough money to have a car to drive away in," they yawn. "I can't help it if 'some people' - heh heh -are lazy and stupid. It's a question of taking personal responsibility."

So it's really a waste of time appealing to their sense of reason. It's their missing sense of common humanity - what they spittingly refer to as "bleeding heart" - that is the point of failure.

And in the end: What can be meaningfully said to such people?  :(

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: To Berserker: On why they "don't get it"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:45:44 AM »
Don't worry.  They'll switch sides when the Dem candidate takes a lead in the polls.

Most voted for Reagan, then Bush, then Clinton, then Bush.

They "rah-rah" whoever's in power because they'd rather be on a winning team that cheats, than a losing team that plays fair.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 10:24:40 AM »
You asked why BeachBum "doesn't get" the simple fact that Bush, Cheney, Gonzales, etc. lying to Congress and to us about their political machinations is wrong... you know, a bad thing.

It's not that he doesn't get it. Bum isn't stupid. He simply doesn't care. Hence the constant yawning.  :)

This is the part of the Republican mindset that we have the most trouble understanding - that unassailable "I've got mine" complacency. Their severely limited ability to identify with others is strictly reserved for those "like us" - or higher-ups whose position and affluence they envy.

Point out that it's bad manners to address someone by a term they find demeaning and they don't - can't - imagine being part of a minority that is demeaned on a daily basis. "Oh, here comes the PC police!" they sneer - resentful of having even this small parcel of their majority privilege impinged upon. "Whatever happened to freedom of speech, huh?"

Point out an elderly black woman floating face down in the drowned streets of New Orleans and they don't - can't - see a human being who had crushes in junior high school and worked a minimum-wage job for a boss she disliked and wished her kids would call her more often. They see a "welfare queen" - or some other Limbaugh-approved stereotype they can pleasurably resent. "She should have worked harder to make enough money to have a car to drive away in," they yawn. "I can't help it if 'some people' - heh heh -are lazy and stupid. It's a question of taking personal responsibility."

So it's really a waste of time appealing to their sense of reason. It's their missing sense of common humanity - what they spittingly refer to as "bleeding heart" - that is the point of failure.

well said.  I agree.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:37:14 AM »
yep,  we are getting desensitized every day.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:59:16 AM »

YAWN. 

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »
Don't worry.  They'll switch sides when the Dem candidate takes a lead in the polls.

Most voted for Reagan, then Bush, then Clinton, then Bush.

They "rah-rah" whoever's in power because they'd rather be on a winning team that cheats, than a losing team that plays fair.

What political party plays fair?  They seem pretty equal at slinging mud and dealing shady to me.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »

Go ahead Ribo and keep your PC ways. Just like PC England where the muslim population has grown to nearly 1 in 5. England will be under Sharia law before you know it and people like you want us right behind them. Then those cabbies in Minnesota will get what they want. Or in Germany where a few Muslims were offended by an Opera that has been performed for hundreds of years. The Germans agreed to not perform it anymore to be PC. PC countries lose their rights...so you just go ahead and bow to everyone and try not to offend anyone.
gotta love life