Author Topic: Hush Puppies...  (Read 1193 times)

Mydavid

• Getbig V
  • thankd dweetir :)
Hush Puppies...
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:43:47 AM »
So we are having a Crawfish Boil on Saturday (the little critters will be flown in from Louisiana) and the hubby would like a Hush Puppy recipe...

Got any?
Thanks!!!!

Lisa

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Hush Puppies...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »
No No No - you really don't want them  :-X  :P

My dad's side of the family is from the deep south and that (along with bisquits & gravy) was always on the menu.  I seem to recall them being deep fried dough balls served with syrup  :-X :-X :-X  I think the dough consisted of buttermilk, eggs, cornmeal and flour.  You'd def need one of those turkey fryers and want to do it outside, otherwise it would make a mess in the kitchen.
:

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »
Ok, I'll give you a recipe.  However, there has to be a story that goes along with the recipe:

Hush Puppies

Yield: 2 dozen

1 cup AP flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 TBLSP sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 onion, chopped (optional)
1 cup buttermilk
3-4 cups oil

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Add the egg, onion (optional), and buttermilk; mix well.  Heat the oil to hot but not smoking.  Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.

Recipe from "Sensational Seasons" Junior League of Fort Smith, Arkansas

Here's the story:  On a fish fry by the levee or maybe it was on a riverbank, fisherman cooking up the afternoon catch took to frying bits of batter in the hot oil intended for the fish.  They tossed the little morsels to the yelping dogs with the admonishment, "Hush, puppy!"

Enjoy and eat with caution because yes, they are very fattening! 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:04:58 PM »
Sorry Lisa, I can't help you here.
The only thing I know about crawfish is you're supposed to suck them till the eyeballs wiggle.  :o
w

baseballmom

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:26:04 PM »
Ok, I'll give you a recipe.  However, there has to be a story that goes along with the recipe:

Hush Puppies....

Here's the story:  On a fish fry by the levee or maybe it was on a riverbank, fisherman cooking up the afternoon catch took to frying bits of batter in the hot oil intended for the fish.  They tossed the little morsels to the yelping dogs with the admonishment, "Hush, puppy!"

Enjoy and eat with caution because yes, they are very fattening! 

Please

hush puppy.

Mydavid

• Getbig V
  • thankd dweetir :)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 01:11:09 AM »
Please
hush puppy.

Dear Baseballmom!

Why did you come on my thread and mess it up? Please be nice. Hope that helps.

Thank you!
Lisa ;)