Author Topic: Oregon Biology Teacher Fired Over Bible References  (Read 8189 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Oregon Biology Teacher Fired Over Bible References
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:34:20 AM »
Oregon Biology Teacher Fired Over Bible References
Tuesday, March 20, 2007

SISTERS, Ore. —  During his eight days as a part-time high school biology teacher, Kris Helphinstine included Biblical references in material he provided to students and gave a PowerPoint presentation that made links between evolution, Nazi Germany and Planned Parenthood.

That was enough for the Sisters School Board, which fired the teacher Monday night for deviating from the curriculum on the theory of evolution.

"I think his performance was not just a little bit over the line," board member Jeff Smith said. "It was a severe contradiction of what we trust teachers to do in our classrooms."

Helphinstine, 27, said in a phone interview with The Bulletin newspaper of Bend that he included the supplemental material to teach students about bias in sources, and his only agenda was to teach critical thinking.

"Critical thinking is vital to scientific inquiry," said Helphinstine, who has a master's degree in science from Oregon State. "My whole purpose was to give accurate information and to get them thinking."

Helphinstine said he did not teach the idea that God created the world. "I never taught creationism," he said. "I know what it is, and I went out of my way not to teach it."

Parent John Rahm told the newspaper that he became concerned when his freshman daughter said she was confused by the supplemental material provided by Helphinstine.

"He took passages that had all kinds of Biblical references," Rahm said. "It prevented her from learning what she needed to learn."

Board members met with Helphinstine privately for about 90 minutes before the meeting. The teacher did not stay for the public portion.

"How many minds did he pollute?" Dan Harrison, the father of a student in Helphinstine's class, said at the meeting. "It's a thinly veiled attempt to hide his own agenda."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259844,00.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Oregon Biology Teacher Fired Over Bible References
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:02 AM »
what possible relevence could a mythology book have in a biology class

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

I agree.  Precisely why they should keep Darwin's "The Origin of the Species" out of the biology classroom.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »
I agree.  Precisely why they should keep Darwin's "The Origin of the Species" out of the biology classroom.   :)

you're joking right.  Why don't we just go back to biblical times and use all their science and medicine.   

I'm glad to see that you acknowledge that the bible is a book of mythology and has no place in public school other than maybe in a class of about ancient myth

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:39:06 PM »
you're joking right.  Why don't we just go back to biblical times and use all their science and medicine.   

I'm glad to see that you acknowledge that the bible is a book of mythology and has no place in public school other than maybe in a class of about ancient myth

Partly.  I don't think public schools should force students to take religious classes. 

And yes I was joking about the Bible being a "book of mythology."  What I do believe is the theory of evolution makes no sense.  In reality, it sounds as much like a fairy tale as the creation theory. 

If you're interested, I recommend reading Behe's "Darwin's Black Box."  Helped me understand the fatal flaws in the theory of evolution.  http://www.amazon.com/Darwins-Black-Box-Biochemical-Challenge/dp/0743290313/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0724057-8675849?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174422872&sr=8-1

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
Careful BB, 

You might conjure up the ghost of Johnny Apollo and reunite this board  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 01:47:44 PM »
Careful BB, 

You might conjure up the ghost of Johnny Apollo and reunite this board  ;D

LOL.  That yellowbellied coward?  I'm not afraid of him.   :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 01:53:38 PM »
Partly.  I don't think public schools should force students to take religious classes. 

And yes I was joking about the Bible being a "book of mythology."  What I do believe is the theory of evolution makes no sense.  In reality, it sounds as much like a fairy tale as the creation theory. 

If you're interested, I recommend reading Behe's "Darwin's Black Box."  Helped me understand the fatal flaws in the theory of evolution.  http://www.amazon.com/Darwins-Black-Box-Biochemical-Challenge/dp/0743290313/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0724057-8675849?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174422872&sr=8-1

1.  of course public schools should not be forced students to take religions classes.  That would be ludicrous

2.  Evolution is the best science we have at this point although I agree it does have some gaps but no credible scientist would teach biblical creationism.  If you're going to start teaching religious creation myths then I think we'd have to include all the religions of the worlds.   I'm partial to Vishnu myself

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 02:03:17 PM »
1.  of course public schools should not be forced students to take religions classes.  That would be ludicrous

2.  Evolution is the best science we have at this point although I agree it does have some gaps but no credible scientist would teach biblical creationism.  If you're going to start teaching religious creation myths then I think we'd have to include all the religions of the worlds.   I'm partial to Vishnu myself

Behe would.   :)

"Some gaps" is an understatement.  Try the complete absence of transitional fossils. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »
Behe would.   :)

"Some gaps" is an understatement.  Try the complete absence of transitional fossils. 

well just because we haven't found any (yet) doesn't prove your point.   

BTW - I actually believe that the origin of man is still a mystery but I don't by default assume that the creation story from the bible must then be true  - maybe that's the difference.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »

The same reason mythology is taught in world lit classes.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »

When you look at the importance of religion in world affairs, you HAVE to prepare young people to deal with these whackos. 

Even though I personally hate religion, I actually think there's a lot of value in learning about it. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »
The same reason mythology is taught in world lit classes.

I'm fine with that.  I'd even be fine with using the bible in a lit class.  
But why would you need a bible in biology class?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 02:15:37 PM »
well just because we haven't found any (yet) doesn't prove your point.   

BTW - I actually believe that the origin of man is still a mystery but I don't by default assume that the creation story from the bible must then be true  - maybe that's the difference.

I didn't say the complete absence of transitional fossils proves my point (whatever my point was).  It helps disprove Darwin's theory.  

I believe in the theory of intelligent design.  Certain parts are a mystery to me, but from a commonsense standpoint it is more believable than my uncle being a monkey.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 02:16:55 PM »
When you look at the importance of religion in world affairs, you HAVE to prepare young people to deal with these whackos. 

Even though I personally hate religion, I actually think there's a lot of value in learning about it. 

LOL.  I resemble that remark.   :)  I'm one of those "whacko" religious persons. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
I'm fine with that.  I'd even be fine with using the bible in a lit class.  
But why would you need a bible in biology class?

"The bible says, but science proves..."

I have no problem with a person who wants to help kids to develop their critical thinking skills and comparative analysis is an integral part of that.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »
I believe in the theory of intelligent design.  Certain parts are a mystery to me, but from a commonsense standpoint it is more believable ...

Yeah, but I developed that theory (I called it simply 'creative evolution') when I was a 14-year-old kid living in rural North Carolina.

Do you really think *I* would be capable of creating something you would believe in???   :D

There has to be a creative force out there somewhere, because the only things man can do are discover and destroy.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
I didn't say the complete absence of transitional fossils proves my point (whatever my point was).  It helps disprove Darwin's theory.  

I believe in the theory of intelligent design.  Certain parts are a mystery to me, but from a commonsense standpoint it is more believable than my uncle being a monkey.   :)

intelligent design is usually code for biblical creationism.  If not, what designer are you referring to because again I'm partial the Hindu story on this one

The absense of fossils may cast doubt on Darwins theory but it doesn't necessarily disprove it

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 02:27:53 PM »
intelligent design is usually code for biblical creationism.  If not, what designer are you referring to because again I'm partial the Hindu story on this one

The absense of fossils may cast doubt on Darwins theory but it doesn't necessarily disprove it

I'm referring to God, obviously.  I just cannot believe that everything I see in nature and with the human body is some accident.   

I said the absence of transitional fossils "helps disprove Darwin's theory."   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
I'm referring to God, obviously.  I just cannot believe that everything I see in nature and with the human body is some accident.   

I said the absence of transitional fossils "helps disprove Darwin's theory."   

Which god are you "obviously" talking about?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 02:33:11 PM »
With regards to your question, you have to keep in mind that there were evolutionary 'leaps' as well.  And we see mutations all the time.  

Where the bible breaks down completely is when it tries to argue that the earth is only 10,000 years old.  

If you start from a lie, how do you derive any truths?  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
Which god are you "obviously" talking about?

Mine.  And yours.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 02:35:45 PM »
Mine.  And yours.   :)

WTF?

I didn't know you were Hindu

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »
LOL.  I resemble that remark.   :)  I'm one of those "whacko" religious persons. 

You seem ok to me.

I'm actually cool with God...well, except for all the murders he's responsible for.  

My real problem is with religion.  'Men of God' have killed far more people than God has...and for what?  sheesh

Religion is truly the most evil institution this world has ever known.  That is not a debatable point.  

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 02:36:55 PM »
I think it's just terrible.... They're just hurting the kids.

I remember being a young lad and had to sit through in school suspension... It was quite well known that the ISS teacher was a bible guy and if you could get him started on religion you could sit all day and not have to do a single bit of work.

Well it was about 9:30am and I was just tired of working, so I started the religious discussion... suffice it to say, the discussion lasted through lunch and most of the afternoon... I bet we stopped at around 2:30 in the afternoon (only 45 minutes left during the day).

It was GREAT!!!

How dare they take away a kids ability to con a teacher into slacking off... It's just deplorable.