Author Topic: Bush Affirms Support for Gonzales  (Read 1356 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Bush Affirms Support for Gonzales
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:36:17 AM »
Mar 20, 10:18 AM EDT
Bush Affirms Support for Gonzales

By PETE YOST and LARA JAKES JORDAN
Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush sent a powerful message of support Tuesday for embattled Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, calling his longtime friend to express unwavering support in the face of calls for his resignation.

The White House also denied reports that it was looking for possible successors for Gonzales. "Those rumors are untrue," White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino said.

Bush called Gonzales from the Oval Office at 7:15 a.m. EDT and they spoke for several minutes about the political uproar over the firings of eight U.S. attorneys, an issue that has thrust the attorney general into controversy and raised questions about whether he can survive. The White House disclosed Bush's call to bolster Gonzales and attempt to rally Republicans to support him.

"The president reaffirmed his strong backing of the attorney general and his support for him," Perino said. "The president called him to reaffirm his support."

Former House Republican Leader Tom DeLay had said earlier Tuesday that the scandal "is just a taste of what's going to be like for the next two years."

"And the Bush administration sort of showed their weakness when they got rid of Don Rumsfeld," the Texan said on NBC's "Today" show. "... This is a made up scandal. There is no evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever. ... They ought to be fighting back."

. . .

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FIRED_PROSECUTORS?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: Bush Affirms Support for Gonzales
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:38:29 AM »
He publicly supported Rumsfeld too, as I recall.  ;D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:41:02 AM »

repeatedly, right up until the day he was fired...I mean resigned.

My bet is that Gonzales will soon have a burning desire to spend more time with his family

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:13 AM »
gonzalez is a dishonest man.  period.

why anyone from any party would like a dishonest man to be the most powerful attorny in the land, is beyond me.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:47:27 AM »
gonzalez is a dishonest man.  period.

why anyone from any party would like a dishonest man to be the most powerful attorny in the land, is beyond me.

well - if your boss is dishonest and you provide him cover and you're a loyal to him even above the duties of your job or the duty to your country then I can see why Bush might want him around.   Plus Gonzales knows lot's of stuff that Bush would probably prefer that he keep to himself

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 08:48:38 AM »

The "vote of confidence" is often the kiss of death, but I think it's genuine.  So far, there has been some smoke, no fire.  I haven't seen any evidence yet that Gonzalez broke the law (he didn't testify).  Still looks likes politically motivated firings to me, which isn't a big deal at all.  Waiting for the smoking gun . . . .

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:53:34 AM »
The "vote of confidence" is often the kiss of death, but I think it's genuine.  So far, there has been some smoke, no fire.  I haven't seen any evidence yet that Gonzalez broke the law (he didn't testify).  Still looks likes politically motivated firings to me, which isn't a big deal at all.  Waiting for the smoking gun . . . .

gonzalez said harriet myers wanted to fire the people.
emails show rove wanted to fire the people.

he lied.

If you are okay with a liar in power, that's cool.  I have higher standards than that.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:01:06 AM »

Well there are three separate fires smoldering at the moment but they could just fire him ( have him resign) if he becomes a political liability.  Wouldn't it be ironic if  his forced resignation was just another perfectly acceptable politically motivated firing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 09:04:40 AM »

you can't just fire people for investigating crimes against someone in your party.  It destroys justice. 

Plus, he lied about it - blamed job performance.

then he lied about the person who started it - it was myers not rove.

Seriously, why do you settle for liars?  Have you no pride or standards?

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »
Still looks likes politically motivated firings to me

Makes it kind of ironic that Gonzales himself will be the next one.  ;D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 10:14:33 AM »

;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »
Well there are three separate fires smoldering at the moment but they could just fire him ( have him resign) if he becomes a political liability.  Wouldn't it be ironic if  his forced resignation was just another perfectly acceptable politically motivated firing.

Actually, there is smoke.  No fires yet.