Author Topic: Senate Limits Gonzales' Hiring Authority  (Read 790 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Senate Limits Gonzales' Hiring Authority
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:12:43 PM »
Fallout continues.

Mar 20, 1:56 PM EDT

Senate Limits Gonzales' Hiring Authority

By PETE YOST and LARA JAKES JORDAN
Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to end the Bush administration's ability to unilaterally fill U.S. attorney vacancies as a backlash to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' firing of eight federal prosecutors.

Gonzales got a morale boost with an early-morning call from President Bush, their first conversation since a week ago, when the president said he was unhappy with how the Justice Department handled the firings.

Also, the Senate by a 94-2 vote passed a bill that would cancel the attorney general's power to appoint U.S. attorneys without Senate confirmation. Democrats say the Bush administration abused that authority when it fired the eight prosecutors and proposed replacing some with White House loyalists.

"If you politicize the prosecutors, you politicize everybody in the whole chain of law enforcement," said Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.

The bill, which has yet to be considered in the House, would set a 120-day deadline for the administration to appoint an interim prosecutor. If the interim appointment is not confirmed by the Senate in that time, a permanent replacement would be named by a federal district judge.

Essentially, the Senate returned the law regarding the appointments of U.S. attorneys to where it was before Congress passed the Patriot Act, including the unilateral appointment authority the administration had sought in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks.

. . .

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FIRED_PROSECUTORS?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: Senate Limits Gonzales' Hiring Authority
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 12:23:04 PM »
Happy news.  ;D

But what continues to appall me is how these assholes approved the PATRIOT Act without even knowing all the shit that was in it.

Bunch of fuckheads.  >:(

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »
How much longer can he survive now that his power has been lessened. I give him 7-10 days.

Bush can't have his AG controlled in this way. All this does is guarantee Gonzales is done.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:34:31 PM »
I give him 7-10 days.

I've already dug my jig-dancing shoes out of the closet.  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:15:52 PM »
Happy news.  ;D

But what continues to appall me is how these assholes approved the PATRIOT Act without even knowing all the shit that was in it.

Bunch of fuckheads.  >:(

cause conveniently, anthrax arrived and all their buildings were shut down, preventing debate. 

voting against it was voting for the anthrax-sender, who the govt told us was a domestic killer. 

wasn't that timing great?