Author Topic: Kobe Scores 50 (AGAIN)  (Read 4319 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Kobe Scores 50 (AGAIN)
« on: March 24, 2007, 11:14:27 AM »
He must have heard pumpster talking stink about him.   :)

Kobe scores 50 (again), leads Lakers past Hornets
Video Highlights

Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS -- Kobe Bryant wants to be remembered for scoring points and winning basketball games, not the suspension-yielding swipes he's taken at opposing players.

More from ESPN.com

• Phil Jackson does not believe Kobe Bryant is capable of breaking Wilt Chamberlain's record of 100 points in a game, and he's not the only one thinking that way. Kobe doesn't think he could do it, either, Chris Sheridan writes. Story

• Marc Stein just looked at the schedule, and he wants to be the first to proclaim that Kobe will stretch his streak of games with at least 50 points to six. Blog   

If he keeps this up, he may get his wish.

Bryant scored 50 points to lead Los Angeles to a 111-105 victory over the New Orleans Hornets on Friday night, making the Lakers star only the second player in NBA history with at least that many points in four consecutive games.

"Remember that suspension two weeks ago?" Lakers coach Phil Jackson said, referring to a one-game suspension Bryant got for hitting Timberwolves guard Marko Jaric. "I think this has motivated him. I don't know if we like to have suspensions all of the time work for us, but there were some things there that motivated him."

Bryant, who also was suspended in January for hitting San Antonio's Manu Ginobili, had scoring totals of 65, 50 and 60 in his previous three games, all Lakers victories.

"The thing that was frustrating for me was people were talking about, 'He's a dirty player,' which, for me, is pretty insulting," Bryant said. "To have people talking about something else besides that -- it's a much better feeling."

Elias Says

BryantKobe Bryant continued his scoring tear Friday night, getting 50 points in the Lakers' 111-105 win at New Orleans. He has 225 points over his past four games. The only NBA player ever to score as many points over a four-game span was Wilt Chamberlain. The Big Dipper topped 225 several times during the 1961-62 and 1962-63 seasons, his highest total coming from Feb. 25 to March 2, 1962, when he scored an amazing 67, 65, 61 and 100 for a total of 293.

Chamberlain is also the only other player in the history of the league to score at least 50 points in each of four straight games. He had five streaks of at least four games, all in the 1961-62 season, when he averaged an NBA-record 50.4 points per game. Elias Says. 

Indeed, people are now talking about Bryant's place alongside the man the Lakers' star first knew as the character Bombaata in the movie "Conan the Barbarian."

Only the late Wilt Chamberlain has had more 50-point games in a row than Bryant, hitting that mark in seven consecutive games during the 1961-62 season. Bryant, of course, has long since learned all about Chamberlain, the basketball legend. He's also studied up on Elgin Baylor and knows Michael Jordan, the only other players to hit at least 50 three straight times.

"It's a tremendous honor for me to be in the same (category) with those guys," Bryant said. "The coolest thing about it is this younger generation gets a chance to learn about Elgin Baylor, gets a chance to learn about Wilt Chamberlain and some of the things that they've accomplished, so that the legacy will continue to live on."

Bryant said his recent streak has resulted from his feeling great physically and his teammates helping him get better looks at the basket. But Bryant hit off-balance fades over double teams and other shots of similar difficulty as well.

And he calmly made all 16 free throws he attempted while the opposing crowd tried to rattle him with arm-waving taunts.

"He's just been in such a good rhythm and he's such a good player that when he's feeling like that, it's kind of hard not to just keep going to him because it's amazing to watch and there's a good chance you're going to score," Lakers forward Luke Walton said.

Tyson Chandler had 22 points and 22 rebounds for New Orleans, which trailed nearly the entire second half. Chris Paul had 28 points and 12 assists for the Hornets, who were playing the last of six games scheduled in New Orleans this season before a full-time return to the rebuilding city over the summer.

The Hornets had won two straight and three of four before falling to Los Angeles in a game that left New Orleans on the outside of a close race for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Lamar Odom had 15 points and 10 rebounds for Los Angeles, while Kwame Brown had 10 points.

Hitting everything from a long 3-pointers to fadeaways off the glass, Bryant scored 10 points in the first three minutes of the second half during a 14-4 run that gave the Lakers the lead for good at 70-61.

His one-handed floater as he skipped across the lane gave him 39 points and Los Angeles a 78-65 lead with 5:28 still remaining in the third quarter. A half-minute later, Bryant made a 3-pointer from the corner that prompted a rumble from the hostile crowd and excitement for a young boy in a courtside seat.

"I went over to the sideline and I said ... watch this 3, I've got a 3 for you," Bryant said, "Then I knocked down a 3 and gave him a high-five."

Bryant gave Los Angeles its largest lead of the game when his 16-foot jumper late in the third quarter made it 87-69.

None of it surprised Hornets coach Byron Scott, who while trying to analyze video of Bryant's recent performances found himself repeatedly rewinding simply to enjoy the mastery of Bryant's shooting.

"We knew Kobe was going to have one of those nights," said Scott, who looked like Bryant's biggest fan in the hallway outside the locker room after the game, giving his former teammate a prolonged hug. "He's just so good. He's such a competitor and he lives in the moment. This is the moment right now with a playoff-type atmosphere. We knew he was going to come out and play like that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270323003

body88

Re: Kobe Scores 50 (AGAIN)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
You mind if I merge this  into a single thread homey? I know the man is a beast, and these feats need to be posted.... Just sayin!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 03:58:31 PM »
kobe is a basketball GOD, i love to hear his detractors trying to find some 'flaw' in his game ::)

notice how whenever he goes on a scoring rampage, the lakers WIN.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »

No merge.

Each game is an event unto itself.

The problem is that no one cares.

But the most disturbing part of all is that people here are more interested in talking about cricket than about basketball.  

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »
This seems so exciting on paper, but I don't honestly care that much because the NBA is dull to watch these days.  :(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 01:08:07 AM »
You mind if I merge this  into a single thread homey? I know the man is a beast, and these feats need to be posted.... Just sayin!

I don't mind, but I agree with Tre that each one is really different.  Next time he scores 50 (like tomorrow) I'll just post in this thread.   ;D 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »

Is there a game Sunday?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 09:29:29 PM »

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 10:22:48 PM »
Only 43 this game.  That bum.   :)

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=270325013

The scoring spree reminds of Bob Mcadoo with the Knicks; fairly irrelevant & the opposite of winning basketball. A nice diversion in the absence of team play: "let's make sure the hotdog Kobe gets his 40 shots" :P

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 11:10:23 PM »
The scoring spree reminds of Bob Mcadoo with the Knicks; fairly irrelevant & the opposite of winning basketball. A nice diversion in the absence of team play: "let's make sure the hotdog Kobe gets his 40 shots" :P

Riiiight.  Let's let Smush Parker and Kwame Brown shoot the ball more.  No . . . wait. . . . they tried that.   :)

I guess Kobe could ignore Phil Jackson's request that he shoot and score more. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 12:03:24 PM »
Beach Bum permanently on Kobe's nutz  ;)

What Kobe's doing means nothing towards future success, is a good diversion for mainstream fans when the team's going nowhere, as proven by Bum's fascination. :-*

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:17:36 PM »
Beach Bum permanently on Kobe's nutz  ;)

What Kobe's doing means nothing towards future success, is a good diversion for mainstream fans when the team's going nowhere, as proven by Bum's fascination. :-*

Pumpster do you even watch any Laker games? 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 12:19:08 PM »
Pumpster do you even watch any Laker games? 

Is there anything more boring?

Excuse me but handing someone the ball to take 40 or more shots a game's not that impressive unless the idea's to be a hotdog.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 12:25:57 PM »

Excuse me but handing someone the ball to take 40 or more shots a game's not that impressive unless the idea's to be a hotdog.

That's what I suspected.  Helps me keep your comments about Kobe in perspective. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »

Its called "carrying the team". Nobody else can score on that team with any consistency at all.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 01:18:36 PM »
Yeah, and he did it again last night against the Rockets. He makes it look easy. Too bad he doesn't help his team win. ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »
Yeah, and he did it again last night against the Rockets. He makes it look easy. Too bad he doesn't help his team win. ;)

Yep.  His 53 last night wasn't enough.   :'(  Did you see the 3 pointer he hit to send the game into OT?  That guy is just amazing.  I think he was tired in OT.  Ran out of gas. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 06:50:22 AM »
Yep.  His 53 last night wasn't enough.   :'(  Did you see the 3 pointer he hit to send the game into OT?  That guy is just amazing.  I think he was tired in OT.  Ran out of gas. 

Yeah, the guy expends an incredible amount of energy every night carrying that team.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 09:36:09 PM »
He followed up his 53 point night with 19 and a season high 13 assist (should have had about 20 if his teammates knocked down more shots). 

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 03:46:21 PM »
Wow I just found this board. I have to say Kobe is the greatest basketball player ever. Better than Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Wilt.

bodybusiness

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 03:52:30 PM »
i don't know if he's the greatest but he sure is up there.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 07:44:34 PM »
Scored 46 last night.  They can't guard him. 

And check this out.  Pretty nice:

Bryant gets something to smile about
Despite the disappointment of losing to the Clippers, Kobe gets a lift in the locker room with a gesture from Elgin Baylor.
By Steve Springer, Times Staff Writer
April 6, 2007

For the first time all evening, Kobe Bryant was able to look down at a basketball in his hands and break into a big smile.

No, it wasn't during Wednesday night's Lakers-Clippers game at Staples Center. There wasn't anything for Bryant to smile about as his team played a listless first half and largely ineffective second and lost, 90-82.

Bryant's smile came in the locker room, after he had showered and dressed and after the media horde had departed.

He was handed a basketball and told that Elgin Baylor wanted him to sign it. Bryant recently broke Baylor's Lakers record of scoring 50 or more points in three straight games. Bryant, after stretching his own streak to four, had said how wonderful it was that his accomplishment had put the skills of Baylor, now the Clippers' general manager, back in the spotlight for a new generation.

"Elgin Baylor wants me to sign something?" Bryant said. "This makes my night."

. . .

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 01:10:08 PM »
It's not making as much news as it should. Tells you something about this shitty era of basketball..

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 01:23:03 PM »

They need to teach the other people on the team to shoot.

Look at Phoenix.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 02:28:10 PM »
They need to draft and sign players who can shoot and score, and keep them healthy when they do bring them on board.  For example, we drafted Brian Cook over Barbosa.  Cook can shoot, but is a one dimensional.  I'd much rather have Barbosa.

We spent our mid-level exception on Radmanovic (a great shooter) and he came in hurt and has now missed pretty much the entire second half of the season.

Odom has been hurt for a significant part of the season.  Kwame Brown (who can't shoot) is hurt again.   :'(