Author Topic: NFL doesn't want "witch hunt" for steroid tests  (Read 2420 times)

thisiskeith12

NFL doesn't want "witch hunt" for steroid tests
« on: March 25, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2811910

If NFL players' names emerge from the online pharmacy steroid case, Gene Upshaw informed The Charlotte Observer that he won't endorse suspensions unless the players test positive for a banned substance.

"WADA can say whatever they like; the players in the NFL have both a union and a collective bargaining agreement."
-- Gene Upshaw in an e-mail to Charlotte Observer

"We are not going to get into a witch hunt," Upshaw, the NFLPA's executive director, wrote in an e-mail to the newspaper.

Upshaw was responding to World Anti-Doping Agency chairman Dick Pound's assertion that the NFL should "absolutely" discipline any players who are linked to the case if the evidence is reliable, regardless of test results.

"We will not let WADA determine how we operate our program," Upshaw wrote in the e-mail. "We discipline only for a positive test.

"WADA can say whatever they like; the players in the NFL have both a union and a collective bargaining agreement."

Pound fired back at Upshaw in an e-mail to the Observer.

"If he wanted his sport and the NFL to be drug-free, he would not say that," Pound wrote in the e-mail to the newspaper. "It's an either-or situation: Either he wants drug-free football or he does not."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Observer that the NFL "will consider evidence outside of" test results for suspensions.

However, the league and the players' association would have to agree to changes to the drug policy before the league could discipline players without positive test results or convictions or admission of guilt of NFL players.

ESPN Conversation

35 comments on "Upshaw: Link to probe not enough for suspension"

sos2146 (3/25/2007 at 12:35 PM)

I applaud Gene Upshaw for doing the right thing. Just because somebody is linked to something does not mean they actually used it. Would we want to be disciplined in our workplaces for being around suspected drug users? That's what testing is there for, and I wouldn't mind if they did it more often. Dick Pound just doesn't like the fact that he doesn't have full autonomy over all testing standards.

andrewlt (3/25/2007 at 1:13 PM)

This isn't CSI. It's the real world. You don't need a smoking gun, i.e. positive drug test, to prove in a court of law that somebody took illegal steroids. You can convict purely based on circumstancial evidence.There's a reason these things are considered illegal steroids. They're illegal so the U.S. government can and will step in.The simple fact is, the CBA's of the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. have higher burden of proof than even criminal courts so obviously, people are skeptical of their claims that what they are doing is effective.

rperez02 (3/25/2007 at 1:28 PM)

What else would Upshaw say? He's the head of the players union, so it is natural for him to support players at any opportunity. I don't think the WADA point of view is acceptable, but neither is the NFL's approach. Steroids are obviously a major problem in football, yet there seems to be little movement from any interested party to really clean it up. Frankly, I wouldn't have a problem with pro players on juice except for the fact that the example they set would (and does) motivate college and high school athletes to take it, with disastrous effects. The longer the NFL (and MLB) take to really address the problem of steroids, the more they invite action from the government.

kbnhus (3/25/2007 at 8:13 PM)

Another thing to consider in football is these guys are hitting each other. This isn't baseball where we are talking about an ability to hit a ball. We're talking about the ablity to hit another human being. What if a player has his career ended cuz he hit unnaturally hard by some juiced up freak.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: NFL doesn't want "witch hunt" for steroid tests
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:47:10 PM »
I love the quotes... "hit unnaturally hard by some juiced up freak." <--- already happening and will continue to happen.

I mean shit... It's been going on since the 70s... Juice up everybody... Fuck it. I love seening a 280 pound linebacker run a 4.3 forty... It's great shit.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »
This is big news

Weez

• Getbig III
  • stronger than dirt
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:10:33 AM »
As far as the fans are concerned, the NFL is pretty much imune as far as steroids go.....it is like teflon, it is there, and it never sticks. The fans don't care,  but if we talk baseball, the fans cry bloody murder.............."oh no our most sacred, and hollowed records are being broken cheaters who are using steroids". It is such a double standard. The NFL can get away with anything. The Charger's  Linebacker who was busted for anabolics was hardly even asked about it by the press. Damn, Barry Bonds is bothered non-stop, every day of his life, and he has never tested positive. It is also true about the lawbreaking, and the thuggery that goes on in the NFL. Fans, and the media just let it go because the sport is so damn popular.
Cam ad mi

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:12:42 AM »
As far as the fans are concerned, the NFL is pretty much imune as far as steroids go.....it is like teflon, it is there, and it never sticks. The fans don't care,  but if we talk baseball, the fans cry bloody murder.............."oh no our most sacred, and hollowed records are being broken cheaters who are using steroids". It is such a double standard. The NFL can get away with anything. The Charger's  Linebacker who was busted for anabolics was hardly even asked about it by the press. Damn, Barry Bonds is bothered non-stop, every day of his life, and he has never tested positive. It is also true about the lawbreaking, and the thuggery that goes on in the NFL. Fans, and the media just let it go because the sport is so damn popular.

I personally don't care about steroids in baseball... for what it's worth to anyone.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 05:05:43 AM »
keith when are you going to post your pics???

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:20:40 AM »
keith when are you going to post your pics???

he has,

he 130 pounds soaking wet, and is "on" 36 weeks a year,

he looks like alvin the chipmunk, only not as big.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 05:21:34 AM »
he has,

I saw those pics.... but he called me out and said he looks better than me

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 06:50:57 AM »
NBA is juiced up too.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 06:54:20 AM »
Dick Pound is exactly that,a dick.He should mind his own freaking buisiness and keep his freaking nose out of the NFL.Stick to your Olympic sports,this is PRO sports and they dont need your opinion at all.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 06:56:27 AM »
he has,

Are you willing to bet on that chubs?

Benja, I called you out and you backed down and wanted to do it another time. I even said let's just put up normal pictures and still you backed down.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 07:00:06 AM »
Are you willing to bet on that chubs?

Benja, I called you out and you backed down and wanted to do it another time. I even said let's just put up normal pictures and still you backed down.

my pics are in the members section and have been since friday  ::)

thisiskeith12

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 07:04:19 AM »
my pics are in the members section and have been since friday  ::)

So 24 hours after, you change your mind?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 07:06:03 AM »
When are they gonna crack down on these fuckers?

evolutnbatista

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 07:54:48 AM »
When are they gonna crack down on these fuckers?

shit he looks like he;s on crack

gymforlord

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 08:21:24 AM »
NBA is juiced up too.
I think so much of it is double standard, too.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 08:43:30 AM »
So 24 hours after, you change your mind?

i got the camera i said i didnt have