Author Topic: Jaworski replacing Theismann in MNF booth  (Read 1823 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Jaworski replacing Theismann in MNF booth
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:37:50 AM »
I like this.  I've never been a Theisman fan. 

March 26, 2007, 12:04 PM ET
Jaworski replacing Theismann in MNF booth
ESPN.com

There will be a quarterback change in the Monday Night Football broadcast booth for the 2007 season.

Jaworski
Ron Jaworski will join Mike Tirico and Tony Kornheiser on the ESPN telecast. Jaworski replaces Joe Theismann, who has been offered a prominent football analyst job with the network.

Michele Tafoya and Suzy Kolber will continue as sideline reporters.

"This new lineup will enhance our presentation of Monday Night Football, our most important property," Norby Williamson, executive vice president, studio and remote production, said in a statement. "Ron has covered the NFL from many different perspectives, and he is totally tied into the issues and trends from around the league.

"We appreciate the work Joe has done for 19 years and continue to talk with him about another high-profile football role with ESPN."

Jaworski, who played 17 years in the NFL, most notably as quarterback of the Eagles, joined ESPN in 1990. He has been a prominent NFL analyst for the network and his studio duties will now be spread among ESPN's other NFL analysts, including newcomers Emmitt Smith and Bill Parcells.

Theismann, a storied quarterback in Redskins history, was the NFL's MVP in 1983 and led Washington to victory in Super Bowl XVII.

Last season, ESPN's coverage of Monday Night Football was the most-watched series in the history of cable television and the only NFL series nominated for a 2007 Sports Emmy in the Outstanding Live Sports Series category.

Nine of the top 10 on the list of cable television's biggest household audiences ever came from ESPN's coverage of Monday Night Football in 2006, including the Giants-Cowboys game on Oct. 23, 2006, which ranks No. 1 all-time with a 12.8 rating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2812834

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Jaworski replacing Theismann in MNF booth
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:02:22 PM »
Must be something up behind the scenes; Theisman's one of only a few who really explains the game, Jaworski's just goofy and like most announcers, fluff.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »
Definitely a inside issue. I enjoy listening to Theismann's perspective during a game but the guy publicly finds a way to clash with whomever his on-air broadcast colleagues are. Him and Cornheiser(Mr. fantasy football) frequently clashed and he always argued on air with Paul McGuire. Not surprised one bit over this decision.

Let's not forget who Theismann is. He's one cocky mofo and always has been. His personality clashes with just about everyone because he has an outrageous ego to boot. Anyone who has followed his personal and professional career will tell you the same. Jaworski is a goof and a little too overly animated for my taste.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
Unless it got out of hand a little fire's ok, even on air can make it more interesting but they want announcers to be politically correct which is why they're all so boring.

He should announce for another network, unless his rep is so bad that it isn't viable. BTW Riggins is another with personality & insights that should be heard and hasn't been, has faded away.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
I agree, I prefer Theismann based on the points you made on your earlier post about him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:49:13 PM »
Theismann knows the game, but I cannot get past his personality. 

Few people are able to break down game film like Jaws.  I'll be interested to see how he performs.   

body88

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
Theismann knows the game, but I cannot get past his personality. 

Few people are able to break down game film like Jaws.  I'll be interested to see how he performs.   

I agree... Jaws is known to watch actual film before making comments on a game. He is also pres of the NFL qb club.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »
Where's Don Meridith when you need him?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »

I like the fact that Theismann tells it like it is.  He doesn't mince words and that makes for great TV.

Agreed with you guys that Jaws is goofy, but he does provide good game analysis.  I don't know how that'll translate to the in-game broadcast booth, though. 

Kornheiser is one of those comedians who's only about half-funny.  He and Wilbon have a decent slapstick sports show, but it was tough to endure him the few times I even bothered to watch MNF last season. 

But even as bad as he is, I'd still rather see him than Madden. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 03:21:15 PM »

what job did they "offer" Theismann in place of the MNF gig?

Off the subject I was impressed with the way he was still able to throw the ball. they showed footage of him on ESPN this past season throwing before a game with James Lofton. Steve Young and Merill Hodge stated they were also very impressed. not bad for an old guy.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I'm not even sure that Theismann's really a jerk anymore; can't tell. He's talked about how he's changed his attitudes over the years so it's a little unfair to make assumptions about him now.

Jaworski just isn't as good IMO but if he breaks the games down maybe he can be good in this role.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »
I think they have to dump Kornheiser from MNF. Let him stay on that dumb show on ESPN.
The House that Ruth built

thisiskeith12

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 10:46:25 PM »
Theismann sucks. I couldn't believe they brought him over from Sunday Night Football.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 02:04:27 PM »
Jaws does the local commentating on Eagles pre-season games. He's not bad but he's not as good as Theisman as telling it like it is.
I Bleed PhillyEagle