Author Topic: Peyton Manning should pay a visit to the weight room  (Read 21500 times)

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
Re: Peyton Manning should pay a visit to the weight room
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 08:28:48 PM »
 I was surprised how thin he looked on SNL.  He probably took a long break from lifting. 

Then again 6' 5" is tall and looks lanky.  In a football uniform he's wearing padding and only his forearms show, so he's probably always been that size. 

Mcnabb isn't as tall and he's not as lean as Peyton either.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
I hate the guy, but he is the most studious, hard working of QBs.  Doesn't have the gifts of others, but works hard.  Looking good means nothing in the NFL.  Winning means everything.  He finally got the monkey off his back, I am hoping he gets the snot kicked out of him like he did in 05, 04, 03, etc.....  But the post is about his physique.  Looking good is a secondary benefit to performance.  I am sure most of his training is more application specific to playing.  Developing individual muscle groups for aesthetic purposes is not a necessity.  

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 08:31:23 PM »
I was surprised how thin he looked on SNL.  He probably took a long break from lifting. 

Then again 6' 5" is tall and looks lanky.  In a football uniform he's wearing padding and only his forearms show, so he's probably always been that size. 

Mcnabb isn't as tall and he's not as lean as Peyton either.

A long break from lifting? hahaahahah He never started.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 08:32:30 PM »
I hate the guy, but he is the most studious, hard working of QBs.  Doesn't have the gifts of others, but works hard.  Looking good means nothing in the NFL.  Winning means everything.  He finally got the monkey off his back, I am hoping he gets the snot kicked out of him like he did in 05, 04, 03, etc.....  But the post is about his physique.  Looking good is a secondary benefit to performance.  I am sure most of his training is more application specific to playing.  Developing individual muscle groups for aesthetic purposes is not a necessity.  

Forget about looking good; you have no idea if he's done everything possible in terms of training to improve. His physique suggests strongly but doesn't confirm, that he hasn't.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 08:32:50 PM »
A long break from lifting? hahaahahah He never started.

I've seen clips on tv of him benching and squatting.  I think all NFL players lift.

dirk digler

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2007, 08:33:01 PM »
You figured out these were separate issues! ::)

And how do you know it wouldn't make him better genius, if Brady's doing so? hahaahahahahahah
First off, I'm sure he does strength train. I doubt hypertrophy is a goal of any athlete. It may be unavoidable, but strength is the goal. To be specific strength-power/weight increases are the goal of 95% of athletes who strength train.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2007, 08:33:09 PM »
Next thing you will say is Joe Montana's physique needed work, or Terry Bradshaw's, heck even baby making Tom Brady.  Winning is everything.  

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 08:34:30 PM »
First off, I'm sure he does strength train. I doubt hypertrophy is a goal of any athlete. It may be unavoidable, but strength is the goal. To be specific strength-power/weight increases are the goal of 95% of athletes who strength train.
It's obvious that some look better than others, in large part because they're more serious about it while achieving the same or higher goals.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 08:35:53 PM »
Next thing we will be comparing Ian Freeman to Shawne Merriman.  No way X man can run a 4.45 40 at 272.  Merriman might not be as pretty, but his body is developed to work.  I don't think Freeman could pancake that worthless tackle Gallery like Merriman can.  

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Next thing you will say is Joe Montana's physique needed work, or Terry Bradshaw's, heck even baby making Tom Brady.  Winning is everything.  

First of all, Bradshaw was a big muscular guy, who by the way wasn't afraid of punishment in the pocket the way Manning's proven over and over again with the happy feet. Having a superior physique probably helped Bradshaw there, besides having more guts and being a better all-time QB.

As far as Montana, he had excellent mobility, wasn't a big unathletic gork like Manning. Tells me that in addition to being a better athlete he also did superior prep to enhance and maintain that, which Manning doesn't appear to do. If Manning really cared about being the best he'd have at least tried to get some degree of mobility like a modern QB instead of trying to be Johhny U stuck in the pocket. Certain types of weight training as well as other drills could improve his lameness in this area.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2007, 08:40:06 PM »
where are your pictures, so we can critique what you have achieved in the weight room?

..or are you gonna continue to be a pussy?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2007, 08:40:56 PM »
where are your pictures, so we can critique what you have achieved in the weight room?

..or are you gonna continue to be a pussy?

hahahaha the classic personal resort of a losing position.

I would NEVER have left unaddressed some of Manning's shortcomings the way he has. It's no coincidence that Brady the winner will hit the weights while Manning continues to be a 1950s type QB stuck in the pocket.

dirk digler

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2007, 08:43:21 PM »
It's obvious that some look better than others, in large part because they're more serious about it while achieving the same or higher goals.
Is that why the back ups in almost every position have "better physiques", and higher numbers in the weight room?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2007, 08:44:12 PM »
Is that why the back ups in almost every position have "better physiques", and higher numbers in the weight room?

Another aside, not necessarily true and definitely irrelevant.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
First of all, Bradshaw was a big muscular guy, who by the way wasn't afraid of punishment in the pocket the way Manning's proven over and over again with the happy feet. Having a superior physique probably helped Bradshaw there, besides having more guts and being a better all-time QB.

As far as Montana, he had excellent mobility, wasn't a big unathletic gork like Manning. Tells me that in addition to being a better athlete he also did superior prep to enhance and maintain that, which Manning doesn't appear to do. If Manning really cared about being the best he'd have at least tried to get some degree of mobility like a modern QB instead of trying to be Johhny U stuck in the pocket.

Brad was by no way a muscular guy.  I am a lifelong Steelers fan who has been going to one game a year since 1996.  I will post pics of Brad when I get home.  Great QB, yes.  Muscular, no.  I agree he wasn't afraid of physical punishment, but he was no genetic freak in terms of size and shape.

Montana played in the west coast system, utilizing short two and three step drops.  He is the ultimate game QB, never known for his mobility, speed or athleticism, so I don't know where you are getting that.  Payton (I mispell his name of purpose) is a 6'5 drop back, pocket passer.  He looks gangly because he is so stinking big.  Big Ben is in the same mold as Payton, a Big QB, with decent mobility.  I am in no way a Payton lover, in fact I hate his cry baby antics, but this thread is about his musculature, or lack thereof.  I am reiterating that looking good isn't a necessary by product of success in the NFL.  Big Ben won the SB in his second season, he has nowhere near the type of physiqe people at GB would favor.  But he is a big athletic guy who would outperform everyone here in multiple sports.  Working hard at looking good for getbiggers is something Payton isn't losing sleep over.  

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2007, 08:45:33 PM »
Brad was by no way a muscular guy.  I am a lifelong Steelers fan who has been going to one game a year since 1996.  I will post pics of Brad when I get home.  Great QB, yes.  Muscular, no.  I agree he wasn't afraid of physical punishment, but he was no genetic freak in terms of size and shape.

Montana played in the west coast system, utilizing short two and three step drops.  He is the ultimate game QB, never known for his mobility, speed or athleticism, so I don't know where you are getting that.  Payton (I mispell his name of purpose) is a 6'5 drop back, pocket passer.  He looks gangly because he is so stinking big.  Big Ben is in the same mold as Payton, a Big QB, with decent mobility.  I am in no way a Payton lover, in fact I hate his cry baby antics, but this thread is about his musculature, or lack thereof.  I am reiterating that looking good isn't a necessary by product of success in the NFL.  Big Ben won the SB in his second season, he has nowhere near the type of physiqe people at GB would favor.  But he is a big athletic guy who would outperform everyone here in multiple sports.  Working hard at looking good for getbiggers is something Payton isn't losing sleep over.  

Bradshaw was muscular, big & strong in relation to most past or current QBs. Also a superior athlete, much better than Manning. I watched many of their games during the 70s.

Wrong on Montana. His most famous play against Dallas was typical, largely due to his ability to get out of the pocket to buy time. It couldn't be more obvious, or the fact that the big gork Manning could never have done it.

I don't think you understand the west coast offense-Montana's successor Steve Young ran all the time within that framework. 3 step drops are only part of it.

dirk digler

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2007, 08:46:43 PM »
Another aside, not necessarily true and definitely irrelevant.
It's very true, most notably with linemen.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
It's very true, most notably with linemen.

Nope

dirk digler

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »
Nope
Ask any trainer, position coach, or player(former or current).

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2007, 08:53:17 PM »
Ask any trainer, position coach, or player(former or current).

What would it prove? If backups are muscular and strong, it probably indicates that they got there in larger part due to this than skills. It was probably the differentiating factor.

dirk digler

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2007, 08:59:57 PM »
What would it prove? Backups are muscular...
That they have less skill, thus try to make up for it.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2007, 09:01:30 PM »
That they have less skill, thus try to make up for it.

Which shows the value of that training, to compensate. Now if you take that approach and apply it to someone with skill, it's even better. Generally speaking the great ones don't take it easy (Brady) and cover both angles.

dirk digler

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2007, 09:08:09 PM »
Which shows the value of that training, to compensate. Now if you take that approach and apply it to someone with skill, it's even better. Generally speaking the great ones don't take it easy (Brady) and cover both angles.
Being, stronger, more powerfull and agile doesn't always translate into a "good physique"......... Warren Sapp.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2007, 01:35:16 AM »
Bradshaw was muscular, big & strong in relation to most past or current QBs. Also a superior athlete, much better than Manning. I watched many of their games during the 70s.

Wrong on Montana. His most famous play against Dallas was typical, largely due to his ability to get out of the pocket to buy time. It couldn't be more obvious, or the fact that the big gork Manning could never have done it.

I don't think you understand the west coast offense-Montana's successor Steve Young ran all the time within that framework. 3 step drops are only part of it.

I don't think you understand the west coas offense as well.  The game winning play to Clark in the right corner of the end zone was a busted play that Montan ad libbed.  It wasn't because of great athletic ability, but rather great instincts.  The same great instincts he showed in the Cotton bowl that got him drafted in the first place.  After the primary is checked off, in the WC offense, the QB needs to read the defense and check for secondary receivers or make the pass to the outlet receiver, if that is all covered, then the QB has the option to scrambel out of the pocket to pick up yards.  Montana was no Steve Young.  He was agile enough, but SMART as hell as to make the system work. 

Your assertion that Payton's pitiful physique makes him a loser is weak as well.  Payton does not play well against teams that run the 3-4 defense.  Particularly those that run a zone blitzing schemes.  He can't make the proper reads because he doesn't know where the pressure is coming from.  A defensive end with his hands on the ground can drop back in coverage and the d coordinator can send pressure from the edge (LBs), from the corners (in a corner blitz where the OLBs drop into coverage) or with the 2 MLBs and a safety over the top.  The reason the Dolts had an easier chance this year is they only played one team in the post season that ran a 3-4, and that was the Pats who fell apart in the fourth.  When playing a 4-3, you depend upon your downlineman to produce pressure, and it is harder to hide blitz packages. 

Don't talk football if you don't know football.  Who cares how Brady looks, he won three SBs, made two kids out of wedlock and has the body of a 18 year old who barely lifts. 

I have every game of the 1974-1975, 1978-1979 Steelers remastered onto DVD, trust me when I tell you Brad didn't have a body most getbiggers would want.  He was a stud, but physically didn't look like something any of us would aspire to.  He could throw the ball in the air 70+ yards coming out of LTech, and that was all that mattered. 

thepeg

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:12 AM »
i just had 2 post when i saw all of these STUPID POSTS u people dont know anything about football! oh by the way peyton is the best qb in football and has been for the past several years and now he won the superbowl, because of his historic comeback against the patriots...its not up for debate unless your a fucking idiot(which many of peyton critics r) yea he should quit playing football and take huge amounts of steroids to fill out his 6-05 frame to make u idoits happy- oh and give up the MILLIONS of dollars hes making. i met he sits up at night thinking about what a bunch of losers think of him while playing on the internet for hours every night cause they have no life.  mom get me some more chezzy puffs i have more posts to read!  sweet! beefcake beefcake!!!