Author Topic: Newspaper: Stubbs getting bigger and better with each show  (Read 595 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
FREEPORT NEWS - BAHAMAS

Stubbs getting bigger and better with each show
By Andrew Coakley

FN Sports Editor

The last time we spoke with Joel Stubbs, he was not only wallowing in the publicity from a 10-page spread in Flex Magazine, but he was also preparing for a major bodybuilding show down Under.

The Bahamian pro bodybuilder, who has been making a name for himself (and his country) on the pro circuit, knew just how important the competition in Austrailia would be for him.

That's why he was more focused on that than about appearing in one of bodybuilding's top magazines.

The Grand Prix Ironman Pro bodybuilding show attracted some of the big names in professional bodybuilding and to do well in such a tournament helped to give a bodybuilder even more publicity.

So, Stubbs' sixth place finish at the Aussie Ironman Grand Prix, has helped to propell Stubbs to a higher level of competition.

What's more, his name has begun to buzz among the best-of-the-best in pro bodybuilding.

And that's exactly what Stubbs wants.

It's that kind of buzz that catches the ears and attention of top sponsors and promoters. It's the kind of buzz that gets the attention of organisers and competitors in the Mr. Olympia Bodybuilding Tournament, the epitome of bodybuilding competitions.

The improvement in positioning by Stubbs leaves him feeling very optimistic as he prepares for his next showing, but he revealed that a lot of work will need to be done during his off time on his legs.

"I want to better my positioning and improve my legs because that is the only thing they keep knocking me for in competitions.

"All the athletes in the sport right now that are beating me, they are weak in various other parts of their bodies as well, but they will always beat me because of my legs, even though I have the better upper body torso.

"So I have to work very hard on my legs, in fact I've already started training. You can see the difference in them, from when I first started out and now. I still do upper body workouts but I go all out when it comes to my legs, this is a big deal for me especially when I am in competitions that can be judged closely.

"In every sport you have politics, this sport is no different. I don't have any of the judges on my side besides for my upper body portion, so when I am competing in towns were some of the guys are from there, they will get the nod over me when it is close. In order to separate myself I will have to put in the extra work."

The good placing at the Aussie Ironman moves Stubbs closer to the possibility of appearing on the Mr. Olympia stage, something that has been his goal, ever since he turned pro in 2003.

"I am preparing every day for the next competition. I know what I have to do in order to get up in the top three if I want to qualify for Mr. Olympia.

"I am more confident now since I've taken on a new trainer, everything is looking up and moving into the right directions. The most important thing is to stay healthy, though.

"It is a long road ahead but I believe that I am getting closer to my dreams. The response I've been receiving has me working even harder. I've had people when I went down to Australia say that I can win Mr. Olympia, that I am their pick.

"These comments are coming from fans and bodybuilders. So whenever I hear this I want to go in and give it all I've got; I am working harder, sometimes I work until my legs get tired."

The odds are truly in Stubbs' favour, now that he has won the Best Back award, but in order for him to qualify for the Mr. Olympia Championships, he must finish in the top three of any of the Professional Shows on the IFBB calendar.

So far Stubbs has competed in three professional shows, the Grand Prix Australia, Ironman Pro Invitational and the Sacramento Pro Champion-ships.

His highest ranking at any of the shows was 6th place, at the Grand Prix Australia. At the Ironman Pro Invitational, held in Pasadena, California, Stubbs finished in the ninth spot and was eighth at the Sacramento Pro Champion-ships.

"This year is definitely my year to make the Olympia stage. The most important thing is to stay healthy so you can compete with some of the big names.

"The thing about making the Olympia stage is once you've made it you will always be known or referred to as an Olympian. Olymp-ians are the top athletes, the elite guys, and everyone will remember that every time you step on stage."

Stubbs knows what he has to do to make his dream come true, he will just have to take it one day at a time and look to improve on his physique every single day.

That means consistent training.

These days Stubbs is training for the Europa Supershow, set for Arlington, Texas, August 10-11.

If he is unsuccessful at this show, Stubbs will try his hand at either the Montreal Pro or the Atlantic City Pro, both shows are set for the month of September.

The Mr. Olympia championship is scheduled for September 29, in Las Vegas, Nevada.

All of Today's Bodybuilding, Gear, & Titus News