Author Topic: Corrupt Republican testifying under oath [WARNING: Graphic footage]  (Read 2555 times)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
The General Services Administration (GSA) is basically the office manager for the Federal government. They arrange office space, provide stationery supplies, shit like that. Its current chief is a woman named Lurita Doan - the first female to hold the position.

This week, The Washington Post reported that she "and a deputy in Karl Rove's political affairs office at the White House joined in a videoconference earlier this year with top GSA political appointees, who discussed ways to help Republican candidates".

Now coming 6 years into the Bush regime, it is difficult to put such a charge of corruption into what used to be a normal perspective. So just stop for a moment and pretend that this occurred in the early days of the Hillary Clinton administration...

This department's job is - for example - to make sure the Treasury Department has enough paper to print out paychecks for the families of the troops serving in Iraq. But instead they've called a meeting to discuss how they can spend your tax money to help defeat vulnerable Republicans and defend vulnerable Democrats in the next election cycle.

How would you feel about that, Republicans?  :)

In case you were wondering, there is in fact a law against this kind of thing. It's called the Hatch Act of 1939 - whose main provision is to prohibit federal employees from engaging in partisan political activity. In other words, this is a felony. You know... the thing that our great society of laws punishes by putting people in prison for. If you're having trouble grasping the principle, mentally picture your demonized minority of choice raping a white woman at gunpoint. Nasty stuff, deserving to be considered gravely.

Now this is the point where Bum yawns, maybe makes a disparaging comment about the political bias of The Washington Post, and says he'll get around to having an opinion about it when the facts come in.  :)

Well, Congress has gone in pursuit of those facts. And the result is the following testimony from Ms. Doan.

An equally entertaining 10 minutes of video will not come our way again soon.  :) 

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/3/28/122134/409

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Corrupt Republican testifying under oath [WARNING: Graphic footage]
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 06:52:32 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAH

let me see if i can do a multiple impersonation: 

"I don't see anything done wrong here"

"How many times am i going to say it was a brown bag lunch?"

"I'm not going to repeat myself any more,  I've already told what i think  ;D"

end of multiple impersonation.

Well,  considering we've sodomized Iraq's economy a little corruption isn't surprising at all from some witless bitch.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 06:55:36 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAH

let me see if i can do a multiple impersonation: 

"I don't see anything done wrong here"

"How many times am i going to say it was a brown bag lunch?"

"I'm not going to repeat myself any more,  I've already told what i think  ;D"

end of multiple impersonation.

Well,  considering we've sodomized Iraq's economy a little corruption isn't surprising at all from some witless bitch.

You forgot "YAWN." 

And my favorite:   ::)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »
You forgot "YAWN." 

And my favorite:   ::)

"YAWN"

::)

better now?

;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 06:58:01 PM »
"YAWN"

::)

better now?

;D

No.  Insert the part where you ask me the same question three times.   :D

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 06:59:07 PM »
No.  Insert the part where you ask me the same question three times.   :D

I would but then you'd just dodge the issue 3 times.   ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »
I would but then you'd just dodge the issue 3 times.   ;)

Nah.  I usually answer yours at least twice.   :)  You don't like my answers.  Maybe you think if you keep asking me that I'll change my opinion.  That only happens with my wife. . . . . 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:09:54 PM »
Nah.  I usually answer yours at least twice.   :)  You don't like my answers.  Maybe you think if you keep asking me that I'll change my opinion.  That only happens with my wife. . . . . 

Nope, it's only wishful thinking that person could change someone's mind on a Political forum.  Most people have made up their minds and defend their point of view or political preferences even in the face of facts.  They either try to minimize the issue or blow it up depending on what serves them.

I only ask the same question differently in hopes you address it fully.   It usually happens when you summarize or label an issue with your opinion and avoid delving into the details.  I don't fault you for it.  But it is what you do.  (i try not to ask too many loaded persuasive questions like 240 as much as a can) 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:15:19 PM »
I would but then you'd just dodge the issue 3 times.   ;)

LOL!

I always respect a man who will clearly define his position, right or wrong.

it's the slippery little twats that write lengthy dodges about why your question is unreasonable or "just a hypothetical" that you can't trust. 

Too afraid to be wrong to say anything that matters.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 07:18:04 PM »
LOL!

I always respect a man who will clearly define his position, right or wrong.

it's the slippery little twats that write lengthy dodges about why your question is unreasonable or "just a hypothetical" that you can't trust. 

Too afraid to be wrong to say anything that matters.

What we have here seems like a serious crime with Federal Employees.  It's not major corruption IMO.  but it is what it is. 

Whether you are republican or conservative you should condemn this sort of thing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 07:21:38 PM »
Nope, it's only wishful thinking that person could change someone's mind on a Political forum.  Most people have made up their minds and defend their point of view or political preferences even in the face of facts.  They either try to minimize the issue or blow it up depending on what serves them.

I only ask the same question differently in hopes you address it fully.   It usually happens when you summarize or label an issue with your opinion and avoid delving into the details.  I don't fault you for it.  But it is what you do.  (i try not to ask too many loaded persuasive questions like 240 as much as a can) 

Agree with the first paragraph.  

Second is just flat out wrong.  I don't "avoid delving into details."  If you ask my opinion, I generally give it to you.  If you repeatedly ask the same question, I quit answering.  

If someone asks a dumb a question (which you don't do), I generally don't answer it.  If someone engages in ad hominem (which you don't do with me), I typically ignore it and sometimes join in.  But to say I avoid "details" is just plain not true.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
Agree with the first paragraph. 

Second is just flat out wrong.  I don't "avoid delving into details."  If you ask my opinion, I generally give it to you.  If you repeatedly ask the same question, I quit answering. 

If someone asks a dumb a question (which you don't do), I generally don't answer it.  If someone engages in ad hominem (which you don't do with me), I typically ignore it and sometimes join in.  But to say I avoid "details" is just plain not true. 

perhaps so, BB.  I've just noticed on a couple of occasions you didn't seem to "delve" into the details.  one being the Decker post on those 100 orders.  It seemed like you categorized it and refused to talk about the details. 

For example:  foreign invest in the USA with those terms or allowing foreign companies to own undeveloped oil fields in Iraq.

That's why i kept asking the same questions.

But you are correct.  You do for the most part are willing to get into the details on things.   

You are too good of a guy to Ad-hom with and like me, or at least i try to, i don't usually start slinging insults unless i get attacked first.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 07:59:25 PM »
perhaps so, BB.  I've just noticed on a couple of occasions you didn't seem to "delve" into the details.  one being the Decker post on those 100 orders.  It seemed like you categorized it and refused to talk about the details. 

For example:  foreign invest in the USA with those terms or allowing foreign companies to own undeveloped oil fields in Iraq.

That's why i kept asking the same questions.

But you are correct.  You do for the most part are willing to get into the details on things.   

You are too good of a guy to Ad-hom with and like me, or at least i try to, i don't usually start slinging insults unless i get attacked first.

Thanks for the kind words.

I did review the "Orders."  I told you some of the ones I agree with and one I disagree with.  But I do view them as a whole when forming an opinion about whether I have a problem with them.  What, specifically, do you want to know? 

Warning:  you may not like or agree with my answer.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 08:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

I did review the "Orders."  I told you some of the ones I agree with and one I disagree with.  But I do view them as a whole when forming an opinion about whether I have a problem with them.  What, specifically, do you want to know? 

Warning:  you may not like or agree with my answer.   :)

not intending to hijack ribs post...but oh well.

You made some good points in many other discussions as to the lack of evidence of the Iraqi people not retaining the profits from their oil.  I was waiting for such evidence. 

Allowing foreign companies to own oil fields thus negating profits and revenue from said fields to the Iraqi people seems to be the opposite of what you contented.  Do you still maintain that the Iraqis keep "ALL" their oil?

"Allawi called for all undeveloped oil and gas fields to be turned over to private international oil companies. This, at a time when only seventeen of Iraq's eighty known oil fields have been developed. Article 109 of the Iraq Constitution re-enforces this goal stating that the federal government only administers existing oil and gas fields."

Secondly,  regarding tariffs on incoming goods:

"Order No. 12 (renewed on Feb. 24) suspends "all tariffs, customs duties, import taxes, licensing fees and similar surcharges for goods entering or leaving Iraq." This led to an immediate and dramatic inflow of cheap foreign consumer products — devastating local producers and sellers who were thoroughly unprepared to meet the challenge of their mammoth global competitors."
"To further embed a U.S. corporate economy in Iraq, the Iraq Constitution contained provisions that approve the Bremer Orders."

How is this helping Iraqis?  If this happened in the USA it would wreck our economy wouldn't it?

So when you compare foreign investment in the USA to this it doesn't seems comparable.    how do you draw the comparison other then they are "both fruit"?  Where one harms the economy and the other protects it.

Third which of those orders do you agree with?   

It's obvious that they encourage foreign investment but at whose ultimate long term expense?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »
"Honestly, don't y'all have enough pictures?" and a little bit after that, she says it, plain as day: "Take my water. And my glass. I don't want them to track my fingerprints, they've got me totally paranoid."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 01:49:01 AM »
not intending to hijack ribs post...but oh well.

You made some good points in many other discussions as to the lack of evidence of the Iraqi people not retaining the profits from their oil.  I was waiting for such evidence. 

Allowing foreign companies to own oil fields thus negating profits and revenue from said fields to the Iraqi people seems to be the opposite of what you contented.  Do you still maintain that the Iraqis keep "ALL" their oil?

"Allawi called for all undeveloped oil and gas fields to be turned over to private international oil companies. This, at a time when only seventeen of Iraq's eighty known oil fields have been developed. Article 109 of the Iraq Constitution re-enforces this goal stating that the federal government only administers existing oil and gas fields."

Secondly,  regarding tariffs on incoming goods:

"Order No. 12 (renewed on Feb. 24) suspends "all tariffs, customs duties, import taxes, licensing fees and similar surcharges for goods entering or leaving Iraq." This led to an immediate and dramatic inflow of cheap foreign consumer products — devastating local producers and sellers who were thoroughly unprepared to meet the challenge of their mammoth global competitors."
"To further embed a U.S. corporate economy in Iraq, the Iraq Constitution contained provisions that approve the Bremer Orders."

How is this helping Iraqis?  If this happened in the USA it would wreck our economy wouldn't it?

So when you compare foreign investment in the USA to this it doesn't seems comparable.    how do you draw the comparison other then they are "both fruit"?  Where one harms the economy and the other protects it.

Third which of those orders do you agree with?   

It's obvious that they encourage foreign investment but at whose ultimate long term expense?

I stated earlier that I was cynical of the guy who wrote the article, because it sounds like he had an agenda.  So I did a little reading and discovered that this oil issue is hardly settled.  According to the following article, the Iraqi government is working on a law that ensures Iraq owns it oil fields, with the right to negotiate with foreign companies who will invest, but ownership and control remains with Iraq.  Check out the bold portions at the end.  Completely undermines what you are suggesting IMO.  This is just an excerpt:

Iraq: Summary Of Draft Oil Law

An oil refinery in Al-Sulaymaniyah (file photo)
(AFP)
March 2, 2007 (RFE/RL) -- On February 27, Iraq's cabinet approved a long-awaited federal oil law, with the aim of distributing oil revenues fairly among the regions. The law must now be approved by parliament to take effect.

The National Assembly's Council of Representatives is responsible for enacting legislation on crude oil and natural gas and shall approve all international petroleum treaties that Iraq signs with other states.

The Council of Ministers (cabinet) is responsible for proposing legislation related to the development of petroleum resources to the National Assembly. It formulates federal petroleum policy and ensures that the Oil Ministry works in consultation and coordination with provincial petroleum-production authorities.

Federal Oil And Gas Council

A Federal Oil and Gas Council will be established. It will be chaired by the prime minister, or his appointee, and will include the oil, treasury, and planning and cooperative development ministers. It will also include the director of the Central Bank, a minister representing each region; a representative of each governorate not belonging to a region; executive managers from relevant petroleum companies, including the National Iraqi Oil Company and the Oil Marketing Company; and not more than three experts specializing in petroleum, finance, and economics appointed to five-year terms.

The council determines federal petroleum policies, exploration plans, field development, and pipeline plans inside Iraq and has the authority to approve any major changes to those plans and policies. The council is also responsible for reviewing and changing exploration and production contracts. The council will rely on an "independent consultants bureau" made up of oil-and-gas experts from Iraq and abroad who are experienced in exploration and production operations and in petroleum contracts. The experts will be hired through one-year, renewable contracts.

The council is also responsible for ensuring that petroleum resources are explored, developed, and produced in an optimal manner and in the best interests of the Iraqi people.

Oil Ministry

The law issues guidelines for the restructuring of the Oil Ministry, including the following:

The Oil Ministry must establish a new department to oversee planning, developing, and following up the process of obtaining rights. It will comprise individuals trained and specializing in operating tenders and auctions and individuals capable of carrying out professional negotiations with oil companies to sign contracts related to exploration and production rights. "This department must include in each and every negotiation representatives from the related producing governorates."

The ministry must establish mechanisms for restructuring the relationship between the ministry and related companies and for regulating entities in a way that guarantees the full separation of production companies and oil services from the regulatory, monitoring, and supervisory departments of the ministry. Moreover, production departments must be separated from -- yet integrated with -- service departments in a way that guarantees increased productivity and maximum profits.

The ministry is authorized to sign service contracts and administrative contracts with oil or service companies.

The ministry should strive for the speedy and efficient development of fields that have been discovered but are undeveloped or partially developed, and may do so in collaboration with reputable oil companies.

The Oil Ministry is responsible for proposing federal policy, laws, and plans. It is also responsible for creating legislation and issuing regulations and guidelines to implement federal plans. It will undertake monitoring, supervisory, and regulatory steps to ensure unified implementation of legislation.

The ministry shall coordinate with governorates and regional administrations to draw up federal policies and plans related to short- and long-term exploration, development, and production.

The ministry is empowered to negotiate multilateral and bilateral agreements related to oil and gas with other countries and organizations subject to approval in accordance with the constitution. It is responsible for monitoring petroleum operations to ensure adherence with the laws, regulations, and contracting terms. It is also responsible for verifying costs and expenditures incurred by the holders of rights to ensure the correct and justified cost recoveries in order to determine revenues owing to the government.

The ministry must coordinate with regional governments and producing governorates to create specialized entities that carry out the ministry's responsibilities.

Contracts will be entered into by the ministry (or regional entity) and an Iraqi or foreign entity that has demonstrated the technical competence and financial capability to complete the contract, and according to transparent and accountable tendering, according to international petroleum-industry standards.

Contracts should stipulate, among other things, national control, ownership of resources, optimum economic rent to the country, an appropriate return on investment to the investor, training and development of Iraqi personnel, and technology transfers

. . .

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2007/03/9d033277-ae99-4ad3-b470-4008aa0040b8.html

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 06:18:31 AM »

:o   :o  Yipes! Don't tell me that... just when I thought you were beginning to soften.
w

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 06:36:43 AM »
I stated earlier that I was cynical of the guy who wrote the article, because it sounds like he had an agenda.  So I did a little reading and discovered that this oil issue is hardly settled.  According to the following article, the Iraqi government is working on a law that ensures Iraq owns it oil fields, with the right to negotiate with foreign companies who will invest, but ownership and control remains with Iraq.  Check out the bold portions at the end.  Completely undermines what you are suggesting IMO.  This is just an excerpt:

(AFP)
March 2, 2007 (RFE/RL) -- On February 27, Iraq's cabinet approved a long-awaited federal oil law, with the aim of distributing oil revenues fairly among the regions. The law must now be approved by parliament to take effect.

The National Assembly's Council of Representatives is responsible for enacting legislation on crude oil and natural gas and shall approve all international petroleum treaties that Iraq signs with other states.

The Council of Ministers (cabinet) is responsible for proposing legislation related to the development of petroleum resources to the National Assembly. It formulates federal petroleum policy and ensures that the Oil Ministry works in consultation and coordination with provincial petroleum-production authorities.

A Federal Oil and Gas Council will be established. It will be chaired by the prime minister, or his appointee, and will include the oil, treasury, and planning and cooperative development ministers. It will also include the director of the Central Bank, a minister representing each region; a representative of each governorate not belonging to a region; executive managers from relevant petroleum companies, including the National Iraqi Oil Company and the Oil Marketing Company; and not more than three experts specializing in petroleum, finance, and economics appointed to five-year terms.

The council determines federal petroleum policies, exploration plans, field development, and pipeline plans inside Iraq and has the authority to approve any major changes to those plans and policies. The council is also responsible for reviewing and changing exploration and production contracts. The council will rely on an "independent consultants bureau" made up of oil-and-gas experts from Iraq and abroad who are experienced in exploration and production operations and in petroleum contracts. The experts will be hired through one-year, renewable contracts.

The council is also responsible for ensuring that petroleum resources are explored, developed, and produced in an optimal manner and in the best interests of the Iraqi people.

Oil Ministry

The law issues guidelines for the restructuring of the Oil Ministry, including the following:

The Oil Ministry must establish a new department to oversee planning, developing, and following up the process of obtaining rights. It will comprise individuals trained and specializing in operating tenders and auctions and individuals capable of carrying out professional negotiations with oil companies to sign contracts related to exploration and production rights. "This department must include in each and every negotiation representatives from the related producing governorates."

The ministry must establish mechanisms for restructuring the relationship between the ministry and related companies and for regulating entities in a way that guarantees the full separation of production companies and oil services from the regulatory, monitoring, and supervisory departments of the ministry. Moreover, production departments must be separated from -- yet integrated with -- service departments in a way that guarantees increased productivity and maximum profits.

The ministry is authorized to sign service contracts and administrative contracts with oil or service companies.

The ministry should strive for the speedy and efficient development of fields that have been discovered but are undeveloped or partially developed, and may do so in collaboration with reputable oil companies.

The Oil Ministry is responsible for proposing federal policy, laws, and plans. It is also responsible for creating legislation and issuing regulations and guidelines to implement federal plans. It will undertake monitoring, supervisory, and regulatory steps to ensure unified implementation of legislation.

The ministry shall coordinate with governorates and regional administrations to draw up federal policies and plans related to short- and long-term exploration, development, and production.

The ministry is empowered to negotiate multilateral and bilateral agreements related to oil and gas with other countries and organizations subject to approval in accordance with the constitution. It is responsible for monitoring petroleum operations to ensure adherence with the laws, regulations, and contracting terms. It is also responsible for verifying costs and expenditures incurred by the holders of rights to ensure the correct and justified cost recoveries in order to determine revenues owing to the government.

The ministry must coordinate with regional governments and producing governorates to create specialized entities that carry out the ministry's responsibilities.

Contracts will be entered into by the ministry (or regional entity) and an Iraqi or foreign entity that has demonstrated the technical competence and financial capability to complete the contract, and according to transparent and accountable tendering, according to international petroleum-industry standards.

Contracts should stipulate, among other things, national control, ownership of resources, optimum economic rent to the country, an appropriate return on investment to the investor, training and development of Iraqi personnel, and technology transfers

. . .

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2007/03/9d033277-ae99-4ad3-b470-4008aa0040b8.html

But for the illegal US/UK invasion of Iraq, the Iraqis would not be forced to privatize their national resources and rebuild their country that we destroyed in the invasion.

Giving a compulsory contract the veneer of propriety by mandating certain terms is not true contracting.

It's like the Luca Brasi/bandleader contract in the Godfather. 

The point is is that the Iraqis must privatize their oil.  The US forced them to do that after conquering Iraq.  It just so happens that there are multiple US/UK oil interests in the area to help out in reconstruction and asset management.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 07:17:58 AM »

(AFP)

Oil Ministry

. . .

I didn't read the entire thing, but i did read the bold.  i might be mistaken but here's how i see it...  correct me if i'm wrong here.

It doesn't change much.  Iraq has national control and ownership in name only.  It stills allows a private companies to develop and profit from their oil.  All they have to do is pay rent and pay investors who put up their money to help develop it. 

It should be sort of the other way around.  Iraqi companies should be the ones developing the oil and owning/controlling it.  Foreign investors should be allowed to invest in these companies and recieve a return on investment.

But the way they have it here....foreign companies are still allowed to develop and still profit directly from Iraqi oil.  Iraq gets paid dividends it seems and some rent.  So this mean for example:  Exxon can set up shop there and start selling oil.  They pay rent and some kick backs when they show a profit.   

That's not good for Iraq.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 08:43:53 AM »
:o   :o  Yipes! Don't tell me that... just when I thought you were beginning to soften.

I am.  Middle name is "Sucker."  Just ask my brats. . . .

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 08:52:34 AM »
Ozmo and Decker:  you should both read the link I posted and the provisions of this new proposed law.  Clearly, the Iraqi people will be in control of their oil under this law. 

Based on what I read last night, foreign investment is something Saddam either encouraged at one point or actually allowed with France, Russia, and China.  Also, the United Arab Emirates, Venezuela, and Russia apparently have some foreign involvement in their oil.   

Under this proposed law, foreign companies will have to invest in Iraq.  This is absolutely not a bad thing.  The more I read about this, the less credible the "Bremer" article becomes.

And going back to the original contentions--that we started a war to steal their oil or "manage a pipeline" and/or we are receiving oil at less than market value--still no evidence of that whatsoever.  If this law is passed American companies, not the U.S. government, will have the opportunity to compete with companies from the around the world for a chance to invest money in Iraq and receive a ROI.  Big deal. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »
Ozmo and Decker:  you should both read the link I posted and the provisions of this new proposed law.  Clearly, the Iraqi people will be in control of their oil under this law. 

Based on what I read last night, foreign investment is something Saddam either encouraged at one point or actually allowed with France, Russia, and China.  Also, the United Arab Emirates, Venezuela, and Russia apparently have some foreign involvement in their oil.   

Under this proposed law, foreign companies will have to invest in Iraq.  This is absolutely not a bad thing.  The more I read about this, the less credible the "Bremer" article becomes.

And going back to the original contentions--that we started a war to steal their oil or "manage a pipeline" and/or we are receiving oil at less than market value--still no evidence of that whatsoever.  If this law is passed American companies, not the U.S. government, will have the opportunity to compete with companies from the around the world for a chance to invest money in Iraq and receive a ROI.  Big deal. 

ok,  i'll get to it later today.  I only have little 5 min chunks of time available for now.