Author Topic: Question for Bob about drying out ?  (Read 3851 times)

Stavios

Question for Bob about drying out ?
« on: April 03, 2007, 07:36:55 PM »
Bob, what is in your opinion the best way to flush the water before a contest ( without diuretics)

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
Re: Question for Bob about drying out ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 07:37:30 PM »
Good question

dragonheart

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »
Would like to know also.  Obviously low sodium foods but what else?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:44:02 PM »
Bob, what is in your opinion the best way to flush the water before a contest ( without diuretics)

a shitload of water

affy

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:45:14 PM »
read this

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

especially the section on sodium loading and water intake

i wonder what chick has to say about this article

Stavios

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:45:23 PM »

a shitload of water

yeah I heard some people just drink 2 gallons of water 1 week out and continu to drink that much even the day of the show

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:48:04 PM »
yeah I heard some people just drink 2 gallons of water 1 week out and continu to drink that much even the day of the show

there are also a shitload of natural diuretics like dandelion, ulva etc that you could take. also juicing with the right veggies would, help as some of those have diuretic properties(celery for exampl)

there are also spices you could add to your food.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:54:08 PM »
there are also a shitload of natural diuretics like dandelion, ulva etc that you could take. also juicing with the right veggies would, help as some of those have diuretic properties(celery for exampl)

there are also spices you could add to your food.

smoke is right on...without diuretics, the best way is to use asparagus, etc....and load up on water in the week prior to competition day, while reducing your sodium down (not completely zero)...if done properly, you should wake up on game day as dry as you have been every morning leading up to the show.

As with most things BB related...this is subject to many variables like sodium sensitivity, how much water you hold normally, supplement/ gear usage, genetics, etc...

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:55:54 PM »
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Stavios

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »
wow scary shit the story with bob at the hospital

thanks guys

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:06:51 PM »
wow scary shit the story with bob at the hospital

thanks guys

Yes.  I'm surprised it happened given Bob's experienced.  And guess whose guidance Bob was under at the time?  Just guess.  I remember him writing about the special "product" (he used that word) that he used to dry out.  I think he called it a "carb loading product" or something along those lines.  Those on the boards in 2004 may remember it.  This is what Bob looked like shortly before at the 2004 Ironman:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2004ironman1.htm

http://www.getbig.com/pics/ironman/2004/finals/bob.htm
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »
Yes.  I'm surprised it happened given Bob's experienced.  And guess whose guidance Bob was under at the time?  Just guess.  I remember him writing about the special "product" (he used that word) that he used to dry out.  I think he called it a "carb loading product" or something along those lines.  Those on the boards in 2004 may remember it.  This is what Bob looked like shortly before at the 2004 Ironman:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2004ironman1.htm

http://www.getbig.com/pics/ironman/2004/finals/bob.htm

It "happened" as a result of many things...as the article pointed out. Mistakes happen...even to the experienced when you're in a sport that is extreme oriented....never had a problem before that, neverhad one since.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 10:23:47 PM »
I'm surprised it happened after you had been competing for so long.  But I understand why you felt the need to do it - you had just acquired a lucrative contract from Bodybuilding.com and no doubt wanted to perform well.  You were a bit off at the Ironman and were playing catch up.  Sometimes a calculated risk can backfire.  Must have felt pretty crazy at the time.  :-\  I know an experience like that might feel like death.  I'm actually surprised we don't hear about it more often, especially in the upper tier shows where competitors have a huge drive to win at all costs.

Bro...you're reading too much into it...I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, other than fighting the flu and taking sudafed, which only aided in the dehydration. It was my 3rd show in as many weeks...too much while having the flu, tough enough when your 100%...

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
Interesting that small things can have such a profound impact.  I've heard stories of people doing things they've done many times before and having something like that happen.  One story I heard was with DNP where somebody who had used it several times felt like death even after doing exactly what he did many times before.  Although my understanding is that DNP is barely used by pros these days.

agreed...only fools would have messed around with DNP.

Tuna Sammich

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 11:22:17 PM »
how fuckin lazy do you gotta be to use DNP, sheeeit.

"I'm feeling like I need to lose 3 pounds, better chew some rat poison, sure beats cardio"

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 06:50:11 AM »
I used this method that was recommended to me by Jay Cutler via email and it worked very well.

-One week out increase water to 2 1/2 gallons/day

-Cut carbs to 50 on Tue, 50 on Wed, 0 on Thu

-Increase sodium starting on Tue, with every meal.

- Drop water to 1 gallon on Thu

- Drop water to 1 Liter on Fri

-Start carb up mid Friday. I used dry oats, baby food and bananas, and some rice.

-Don't drop sodium

-No water on Sat (show day) except to wash food down. Continue carb up with moderate protein until peaked.

I looked the best I've ever looked, although I was still overdieted I still was able to drop all the water and was very pleased with the condition I was in.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 06:51:53 AM »
The first two pics were from a few days after the show. The last pic is on show day, but I don't have any really clear pics of the show, sadly.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 06:52:22 AM »
it's sad when people bring diuretics into what is otherwise a totally healthy sport.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 06:54:13 AM »
I used this method that was recommended to me by Jay Cutler via email and it worked very well.

-Start carb up mid Friday. I used dry oats, baby food and bananas, and some rice.

-Don't drop sodium

-No water on Sat (show day) except to wash food down. Continue carb up with moderate protein until peaked.

I looked the best I've ever looked, although I was still overdieted I still was able to drop all the water and was very pleased with the condition I was in.

looking sick there bro.

whats was yoru weight there?

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 06:59:12 AM »

-Don't drop sodium

Thanx for info.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 07:01:20 AM »
looking sick there bro.

whats was yoru weight there?

I was about 170-171 in the top pics. I competed at 164 that year. I'm a "midget" at 5'3"

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 07:02:39 AM »
it's sad when people bring diuretics into what is otherwise a totally healthy sport.

I agree. I can't think of any good reason to use them if you do your homework and come in right.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 07:04:30 AM »
I was about 170-171 in the top pics. I competed at 164 that year. I'm a "midget" at 5'3"

you look damn good, thanks for not lying about your weight.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 07:05:25 AM »
Keep sodium high while dieting, that way when you cut sodium out, its a more dramatic cut.
drink 2 gallons to 3 gallons of water daily during diet.
2 days out, cut water to 1 liter, cut sodium in half.
day before show, zero water, cut sodium to ZERO, eat nothing but sweet potato's day before contest.

you take in several gallons of water daily for 9 or 10 weeks, when you cut water out, the body is tricked, it will think its taking in the same amount of water for 3 days even though you cut it.  so the body will try to expel the same amount, along with sodium at zero, the body flushes all the water out of you.

Ta, da!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 07:07:22 AM »
Keep sodium high while dieting, that way when you cut sodium out, its a more dramatic cut.
drink 2 gallons to 3 gallons of water daily during diet.
2 days out, cut water to 1 liter, cut sodium in half.
day before show, zero water, cut sodium to ZERO, eat nothing but sweet potato's day before contest.

you take in several gallons of water daily for 9 or 10 weeks, when you cut water out, the body is tricked, it will think its taking in the same amount of water for 3 days even though you cut it.  so the body will try to expel the same amount, along with sodium at zero, the body flushes all the water out of you.

Ta, da!

I don't believe you should drop sodium near the show. I believe you should increase sodium as you increase water to flush it out, then when you drop water you carb up and the sodium acts as a "pump" to push the glycogen into the muscle. You shouldn't spill unless you drink water or overeat.