Author Topic: RIP Former New England Patriot Darryl Stingley  (Read 3058 times)

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
RIP Former New England Patriot Darryl Stingley
« on: April 05, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/04/05/stingley.obit.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

CHICAGO (AP) -- Former New England Patriots' receiver Darryl Stingley, who was paralyzed after a hard hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, has died. He was 55.

Stingley was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital early Thursday after he was found unresponsive in his Chicago home, according to Tony Brucci an investigator with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

An autopsy was scheduled. The cause of death was not immediately available.

Stingley played football until August 12, 1978, when the 26-year-old receiver went up for a pass during an exhibition game and was hit from behind by Oakland Raiders' safety Jack Tatum. The hit broke Stingley's neck and left him a quadriplegic. Tatum, nicknamed "The Assassin," was a former Ohio State star legendary for his hard hits.

Stingley was born and raised in Chicago. He was a star running back at John Marshall High School. He attended Purdue on a football scholarship.

In 1973, he was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots, owned by Robert Kraft.

"On behalf of the Kraft family and the entire Patriots organization, we're deeply saddened by news of Darryl Stingley's death, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Stingley family at this time," said team spokesman Stacey James.

Stingley, who used a wheelchair, became a symbol for violence in the game. He wrote a book about his experiences entitled "Happy to Be Alive." It was published in 1983.

He served as executive director of player personnel for the Patriots and often visited paralyzed patients.

In a 1988 Associated Press interview, he talked about the day that changed his life.

"I have relived that moment over and over again," Stingley said. "I was 26 years old at the time and I remember thinking, 'What's going to happen to me? If I live, what am I going to be like?' And then there were all those whys, whys, whys?

"It was only after I stopped asking why, that I was able to regroup and go on my with my life," he said.

Stingley regained limited movement in his right arm and operated his electric wheelchair on his own.

In 1993, Stingley started a nonprofit foundation in Chicago designed to help inner-city youth.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mr Marcus

• Getbig II
Re: RIP Former New England Patriot Darryl Stingley
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:18:38 AM »
RIP

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:19:46 AM »
Good job Tatum!  Raiders raiders raiders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:22:42 AM »
Theres a time and place for everything moron..
p

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:26:30 AM »
Theres a time and place for everything moron..
take a blood pressure pill dumb ass.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 09:34:03 AM »

Like Dan18 said, there is a time and place for everything. This is not it....coming from someone that is endlessly bashed for being a pedophile no matter what the thread may be about- I thought you would be a better judge.

R.I.P. Darryl.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 09:40:43 AM »
Like Dan18 said, there is a time and place for everything. This is not it....coming from someone that is endlessly bashed for being a pedophile no matter what the thread may be about- I thought you would be a better judge.

R.I.P. Darryl.

actually i loved darryl stingley, tatum should be in prison for that hit.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:44:21 AM »
SO SHOULD YOU life is just so unfair.......
p

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 09:45:51 AM »
SO SHOULD YOU life is just so unfair.......

mommy never told you life was unfair?  Don't worry, i'll burn in hell eventually , shit evens out.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:57:48 AM »
When exactly is the "right time"? Especially on getbig with it's high standards bwahahaahha. Tatum was exactly the criminal element Noll spoke of, and is probably responsible for his early death.

body88

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 10:06:18 AM »
RIP

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »
Stingley was just coming into his own at the time. RIP.
The House that Ruth built

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »

If ANYONE should be in prison for what happened to Stingley, it's Tony Eason the quarterback that floated the ball out over the middle.
The middle is infamous for being a "hot zone" due to plays like Stingley's happening time and time again. If a receiver asks his coach for more money, the coach replies "Go over the middle more often then."
Being a good quarterback, you know where, who and how to throw the ball. In addition to knowing what defensive players you're up against and those players' strong and weak points.
Take all of this into consideration, Eason knew that Tatum was known as the "Hit Man" and he threw a limp-wrist pass over the middle and hung Stingley out to dry.
Far as I know, Stingley never blamed anyone, simply said "It's part of the game." But should blame or fingers be pointed anywhere, the quarterback is the guy in this case.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »
If ANYONE should be in prison for what happened to Stingley, it's Tony Eason the quarterback that floated the ball out over the middle.
The middle is infamous for being a "hot zone" due to plays like Stingley's happening time and time again. If a receiver asks his coach for more money, the coach replies "Go over the middle more often then."
Being a good quarterback, you know where, who and how to throw the ball. In addition to knowing what defensive players you're up against and those players' strong and weak points.
Take all of this into consideration, Eason knew that Tatum was known as the "Hit Man" and he threw a limp-wrist pass over the middle and hung Stingley out to dry.
Far as I know, Stingley never blamed anyone, simply said "It's part of the game." But should blame or fingers be pointed anywhere, the quarterback is the guy in this case.

One thing is obvious, you never played football.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »

Please, you don't even have the right QB LOL Probably Grogan. A pass like that's a poor choice, bad judgement, etc. but was not the critical factor, otherwise there'd be tons of cases like this.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 10:53:53 AM »
I agree. Guys like Arizona Cardinals legend Rod Tidwell who go across the middle deserve to be "shown the money".
BigNationRadio.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 10:56:09 AM »
I agree. Guys like Arizona Cardinals legend Rod Tidwell who go across the middle deserve to be "shown the money".

Hasn't been proven the main cause at all. Passes over the middle happen every game, Stingley's fate doesn't, fortunately. The NFL can do and already has done more to prevent this.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 11:01:47 AM »
Okay, so I messed up the name of the QB. Big deal.

It's GetBig after all. Make a tiny mistake, and it's blown out of proportion. Oh well.

Weightpit

• Getbig III
  • Remember Sharon Tate...Carpe Diem
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 11:08:33 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me on how many fucking assholes there are in the world - and here is just another example of one more.

Stupid fuck! Let's see how you'd do with a broken neck, dickhead.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 11:13:37 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me on how many fucking assholes there are in the world - and here is just another example of one more.

I am very impressed with your vocabulary! ::) ;D :-X :-[ ::)
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »

I think he was being sarcastic. You've heard of this on getbig?  ::) And he was referring to Tatum.