Author Topic: Gingrich: AG Should Consider Resigning  (Read 1828 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Gingrich: AG Should Consider Resigning
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:19:13 AM »
Gingrich: AG Should Consider Resigning
By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer
April 8, 2007, 11:29 AM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Newt Gingrich said Sunday that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales should consider resigning as the former House speaker joined a list of Republicans who say the botched firing of U.S. attorneys has destroyed Gonzales' credibility.

"The public would be much better served to have another attorney general," said Gingrich, who is considering a possible 2008 presidential run. "I cannot imagine how he's going to be effective for the rest of his administration. They're going to be involved in endless hearings."

Gonzales, a former White House counsel who became attorney general in 2005, is scheduled to testify April 17 before the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is investigating the firing of eight federal prosecutors. It is a congressional showdown believed to be a make-or-break appearance for Gonzales.

The committee also has pledged to compel the testimony of White House officials such as Karl Rove and former counsel Harriet Miers to determine the extent of White House involvement. On Friday, Monica Goodling, the Justice Department's liaison to the White House, abruptly quit after telling Congress she would not testify.

After the firings earlier this year, Gonzales initially asserted that the dismissals were performance-related, not based on political considerations, and that he was not directly involved in the decisions.

But testimony from his former chief of staff, Kyle Sampson, as well as e-mails between the department and the White House contradicted those claims, leading to a public apology from Gonzales.

On Sunday, Gingrich harshly criticized Gonzales' judgment in allowing the firings to escalate into such a political scandal.

Gingrich noted that a president has every right to fire U.S. attorneys for any reason. Therefore, he said, all Gonzales had to do was to say that Bush wanted new people. Instead, Gingrich said, the attorney general made a series of misstatements from which he was forced later to backtrack.

"This is the most mishandled, artificial, self-created mess I've seen in all the years in my public life," Gingrich said. "The buck has to stop somewhere, probably with the attorney general."

In recent weeks, several Republicans have joined Democrats in saying Gonzales should consider resigning, including Sens. John Sununu of New Hampshire and Gordon Smith of Oregon and Reps. Dana Rohrabacher of California, Tom Tancredo of Colorado and Lee Terry of Nebraska.

Other Republicans, including administration allies Jon Kyl of Arizona and John Cornyn of Texas, have acknowledged that Gonzales badly mishandled the matter and needed to explain himself quickly.

"I think the confusion and the ham-handed way that these firings was done certainly undermines the confidence of the Justice Department," Kyl said Sunday. "And part of his effort to come up and testify before the Hill will be to restore some of that confidence."

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., who heads a Senate Judiciary subcommittee that is helping run the investigation, said the controversy is the latest evidence of a leadership failure at the department.

"The gravity of this situation is shown by the fact that several Republicans have called for the attorney general to resign," he said. "The fact that the attorney general is the president's friend and president's counsel for years does not alone make him qualified for attorney general."

Gingrich and Schumer appeared on "Fox News Sunday," and Kyl spoke on ABC's "This Week."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Gingrich: AG Should Consider Resigning
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 09:52:43 AM »
Newt, while evil and all about censoring the web, is a very smart man.

Chances are he knows something we don't about the AG resgination and wants to appear prophetic.  This is a fairly big party break, as he is taking on the man bush has confidence in.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »

Gingrich noted that a president has every right to fire U.S. attorneys for any reason. Therefore, he said, all Gonzales had to do was to say that Bush wanted new people. Instead, Gingrich said, the attorney general made a series of misstatements from which he was forced later to backtrack.

"This is the most mishandled, artificial, self-created mess I've seen in all the years in my public life," Gingrich said. "The buck has to stop somewhere, probably with the attorney general."

Ding!  Right answer.  This includes "political reasons."  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »
Ding!  Right answer.  This includes "political reasons."  

Gonzales isn't in hot water for these firings, beach Bum.

He's in hot water because he repeatedly lied about the reason, what he knew and when he knew it.

He could have said "I fire who I want, eat my ass" and they'd be powerless to have any hearings.

Problem is, he lied, which removes the integrity from his job - the top justice man in the nation.  People have high standards for this position, and as atty general, you can't just lie to congress. 

Honestly, no matter what party a person is from, if he/she lies to congress and the American people and is caught in various fibs by public record, he/she should be out.  I just have high standards I guess, and others don't.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »
 ::)

What I see is a shifting of the original claim that these U.S. Attorneys were fired to obstruct legitimate criminal investigations, to lies by Gonzales under oath, to misstatements, to simply mishandling.  I'm very interested in his testimony and how he will attempt to explain all of this.  I still haven't made up my mind. 

I'm sure there are parrots who will call for his head and claim he "lied" regardless of what Gonzales says in his testimony.  These are the same people who make up their minds before they have the facts.

If he doesn't impress me during his testimony I'll be calling for his head too.     

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 10:17:07 AM »
I still haven't made up my mind.   

OK.

And when you reach a conclusion about the internment camps for Japanese-Americans in WWII, please let us know.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »
OK.

And when you reach a conclusion about the internment camps for Japanese-Americans in WWII, please let us know.

Speaking of parrots. . . .  ::)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 10:20:27 AM »
Speaking of parrots. . . .  ::)

Feeling a little persecuted there, BB?

So many America-haters coming at you from all sides?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 10:22:35 AM »
Feeling a little persecuted there, BB?

So many America-haters coming at you from all sides?

Not at all.  Ribo want a cracker? 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »
Not at all.

I'm not convinced... 

<< Hey genius, my friend who just got on the plane to go back to Iraq "disagrees with the war" and hates Bush.  He's a captain in the Army.  Don't you ever get tired of being wrong? >>

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=139894.msg1985847#msg1985847

This is not the famously unflappable Bum I've grown accustomed to.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 10:35:49 AM »

What I see is a shifting of the original claim that these U.S. Attorneys were fired to obstruct legitimate criminal investigations, to lies by Gonzales under oath, to misstatements, to simply mishandling.  I'm very interested in his testimony and how he will attempt to explain all of this.  I still haven't made up my mind. 

I'm sure there are parrots who will call for his head and claim he "lied" regardless of what Gonzales says in his testimony.  These are the same people who make up their minds before they have the facts.

If he doesn't impress me during his testimony I'll be calling for his head too.    

Hey, in real life, are you a 38-year old man who rolls his eyes?

Cause man, there is something very "middle school girl" about rolling eyes.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 10:37:24 AM »

Rob wanna cracker?  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »
I'm not convinced... 

<< Hey genius, my friend who just got on the plane to go back to Iraq "disagrees with the war" and hates Bush.  He's a captain in the Army.  Don't you ever get tired of being wrong? >>

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=139894.msg1985847#msg1985847

This is not the famously unflappable Bum I've grown accustomed to.  :)

One of my good friends just went back to Iraq yesterday after R & R, leaving behind his family, which I help look after while he's gone.  I probably have little patience for the America hating crap today.  I should probably sign off soon . . . .    :-\   

This might explain a little.  I'm helping look after two families that are essentially my family (what we call Hanai family here).  Several of my church members are in Iraq.  I should probably avoid talking about this military stuff for a while.   :-\   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 12:35:35 PM »

Hey in real life do you often "joke" about murdering your wife and child? 

The eye roll is reserved for dumb questions and comments.  If you get a disproportionate number, that should tell you something about your questions and comments. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »
Hey in real life do you often "joke" about murdering your wife and child? 

The eye roll is reserved for dumb questions and comments.  If you get a disproportionate number, that should tell you something about your questions and comments. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 01:00:13 PM »
I just realized my mistake in taking your dumb questions and comments seriously.

btw - you have the honor of my first (and most likely last) eye roll

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
I just realized my mistake in taking your dumb questions and comments seriously.

btw - you have the honor of my first (and most likely last) eye roll

::) ::) ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
::) ::) ::)

3 x stupid it still stupid

Isn't there some gay outrage happening today that you should be alerting us about?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 01:07:51 PM »
3 x stupid it still stupid

Isn't there some gay outrage happening today that you should be alerting us about?

::)  Okay.  I'm done.  Laker game is on. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 02:11:51 PM »
::)  Okay.  I'm done.  Laker game is on. 

this is just a weird, unfunny post.