Author Topic: Why am I not gaining weight??  (Read 4952 times)

ryu007

• Getbig II
Why am I not gaining weight??
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
I've been stuck at the 178-185 lb range for almost 6 months now! My bodyfat is at 9%. I'm constantly hungry but I'm always eating. 3 square meals a day, with a protein shake and a fruit/vegetable/yogurt snake in between. In the middle of the night I wake up starved and I gotta sneak in a midnight snack. But yet, I fail to gain any real weight. What gives? I mainly eat poultry and unflavored rice with steamed vegetables, and tuna. The only thing I probably don't get enough of is red meat, but I'll rectify that soon enough. Any advice?

l0sts0ul

• Getbig II
Re: Why am I not gaining weight??
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 12:03:30 AM »
imho
you need more carbs daily.  add more clean foods, and maybe late night shake/peanut butter, stuff like that.

you sound like you might be burning the hard earned muscle you are getting.

Your diet kinda sounds like you are trying to cut?  is that true, cause if you are trying to bulk, without more information I would have to say you are going the wrong way.

thats just my 2c
squashin the competition

whitewidow

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:47:50 AM »
eat more food and lift heavier weights. dont be scared to get some fat in your diet.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 07:50:18 AM »
Too little fat - that's the problem, without question.  Red meat will be a perfect addition to your diet.  Also, a hardgainer should enjoy the freedom of a fast metabolism, and eat some fun food!  "Poultry and unflavored rice"????  DISGUSTING DUDE!!!  Try a big steak and a baked potato!!!

Also, buy some Flax Oil, Fish Oil, EFA Blend, whatever.  And take 2-3 Tablespoons a day, which will give you an additional 240-360 calories a day.  Fat intake is directly related to testosterone production, so if you're on an extremely low-fat diet, you're not going to be able to pack on much mass.  Shoot for 30% of your daily calories coming from fat (at least half of that, should be from healthy sources).

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:58:58 AM »
Fat intake is directly related to testosterone production

I agree the OP shouldn't be afraid of some cal dense foods, but surely there's no DIRECT correlation between A and B.  Even 10% of cals from fats would be sufficient (though not recommended).  I'll bet that at a 0% fat diet, you would still find what was needed for hormone production from BF and residual chosesterol, not that I can prove it...  Just don't go eating a high cholesterol diet thinking it'll bump test.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:23:56 PM »
I agree the OP shouldn't be afraid of some cal dense foods, but surely there's no DIRECT correlation between A and B.  Even 10% of cals from fats would be sufficient (though not recommended).  I'll bet that at a 0% fat diet, you would still find what was needed for hormone production from BF and residual chosesterol, not that I can prove it...  Just don't go eating a high cholesterol diet thinking it'll bump test.

Do you think that fat and cholesterol are the same thing???  Because I surely never said that cholesterol increases testosterone!  I said FAT INTAKE DOES!  And that's a fact dipshit.  They're called "Essential Fatty Acids" for a reason, because you need them.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 02:41:13 PM »
I've been stuck at the 178-185 lb range for almost 6 months now! My bodyfat is at 9%. I'm constantly hungry but I'm always eating. 3 square meals a day, with a protein shake and a fruit/vegetable/yogurt snake in between. In the middle of the night I wake up starved and I gotta sneak in a midnight snack. But yet, I fail to gain any real weight. What gives? I mainly eat poultry and unflavored rice with steamed vegetables, and tuna. The only thing I probably don't get enough of is red meat, but I'll rectify that soon enough. Any advice?
hey dont feel bad,those numbers are very respectable for a girl ;D j/k

evryone gets stuck,you will get through it

bench

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 05:09:36 PM »

man i wish i had that problem. not gaining weight that is. for some reason i'm on a cutting diet still packing on a ton of muscle and still gaining weight. however my body fat is going down still.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 05:21:42 PM »
Three squares a day......go to 6-8 smaller meals a day instead.

Eat more lean beef,natty PB,good fats,whole eggs,and more starchy carbs.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 05:28:46 PM »
Yep more meals.  Eat more calorie dense food.  Most hard gainers always whine "I eat a ton of food everyday" When in reality it is not even close.  Many have no idea what eating a lot is.

You must be consistant and it will not be cheap cause you will need quality sources of protein.  Like beef, chicken, salmon, eggs and lots of it.

ryu007

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 05:29:30 PM »
Your diet kinda sounds like you are trying to cut?  is that true, cause if you are trying to bulk, without more information I would have to say you are going the wrong way.
I'm just trying to put on some mass. When my son was born I weighed 200 lbs even, and that was back in Feb. of 2006. So I've managed to lose a lot of that fat. But at a price, losing most of my upper mass as well, so I'm trying to get muscle on me, not fat.  However, I am new when it comes to the whole nutrition aspect. I know I should eat at least 5 meals a day, but my biggest problem is probably that I either don't take in enough calories, or I just eat the wrong stuff. I think I may just have to begin eating like a fat man, 'cause the way it's been going lately, eating sensibly isn't working so far.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 05:32:25 PM »
I'm just trying to put on some mass. When my son was born I weighed 200 lbs even, and that was back in Feb. of 2006. So I've managed to lose a lot of that fat. But at a price, losing most of my upper mass as well, so I'm trying to get muscle on me, not fat.  However, I am new when it comes to the whole nutrition aspect. I know I should eat at least 5 meals a day, but my biggest problem is probably that I either don't take in enough calories, or I just eat the wrong stuff. I think I may just have to begin eating like a fat man, 'cause the way it's been going lately, eating sensibly isn't working so far.

Eat a clean diet with the right foods, dont eat junk like sugery carbs.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 06:32:22 PM »
Do you think that fat and cholesterol are the same thing???  Because I surely never said that cholesterol increases testosterone!  I said FAT INTAKE DOES!  And that's a fact dipshit.  They're called "Essential Fatty Acids" for a reason, because you need them.

No.  They're called "essential" because your body can't synthesize them from other fats, so they have to be included in the diet.  Also, cholesterol is directly involved in test production, hence my assumption.  I don't know what role other fats play, if any.  That's why I asked.

I don't come to the nutrition board to flame, Hulk.  If you'd like to discuss the role of dietary fat in test production, carry on.  How does fat intake affect test production?  What's the process?  What's the mechanism?  If all you've got is "It's a fact" and some defensive ranting, count me out.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 06:59:46 PM »
Three squares a day......go to 6-8 smaller meals a day instead.

Eat more lean beef,natty PB,good fats,whole eggs,and more starchy carbs.

I agree 100%

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 07:37:16 PM »

Start measuring what your eatting in grams or cals I don't care.  Once you get that fig. than keep adding 200 cals a day each week until you start making gains (one to one and 1/2 pounds per week).

Smanjh

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 08:21:42 PM »
Start measuring what your eatting in grams or cals I don't care.  Once you get that fig. than keep adding 200 cals a day each week until you start making gains (one to one and 1/2 pounds per week).

That's perfect advice.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 08:22:13 AM »
FAT: How Much Is Enough?
Several clinical studies have connected low-fat diet regimens with decreased serum free-testosterone levels. One such study measured the effects of both high-fat and low-fat diets on free-testosterone levels. Six healthy men were placed on isocaloric, weight-maintaining diets providing 100 grams of fat per day for 2 weeks. (This would be 36% of your total calories on a 2,500-calorie diet.) Free-testosterone levels were measured; then their diets were changed to include less than 20 grams of fat per day (7% of total calories on a 2,500-calorie diet), while still supplying a maintenance calorie level. They consumed this new lower fat diet for two weeks. Serum-free-testosterone levels were measured again.

When the two measurements were compared, they observed the biologically active free-testosterone percentage had dropped from 2.8 on the high-fat diet to 2.2 on the low-fat diet.(5) 

The higher fat diet produced a 27% increase in circulating levels of metabolically active free testosterone over the lower fat diet! This is obviously a substantial increase. But at 36% vs. 7% fat intake, this study focused on some rather extreme levels of fat consumption. Maybe you’re thinking to yourself, “Well, I usually consume about 10% of my calories as fat, so that probably doesn’t apply to me.” Think again!

Other studies have indicated that even a more moderate fat-restricted diet can negatively affect free-testosterone levels. For example, 2 separate studies have shown a decrease in fat intake from 40% to 20% and from 37% to 25% leads to decreases in metabolically active free testosterone levels of 19% (from 1.06% to 0.86%)4 and 13% (from 0.23 to 0.20 nmol/l)(3), respectively. Investigators from one of the aforementioned studies felt confident enough about their results to state that, “The reduction of total plasma testosterone observed in the present study is in agreement with previous findings. ...showing that a low-fat diet reduces the biologically active free testosterone in serum.”(3)

Given the evidence, it appears these investigators believe the verdict is in, and low fat is out. However, the question remains—is more better, or is there a point of diminishing returns?

How Much Is Too Much?
It appears 40% of calories from fat just may be the diminishing point, at least according to a study conducted at the Novum Research Center in Huddinge, Sweden. This study enlisted players from two elite male hockey teams as subjects. One team was put on a less-than-30%-fat diet, while the other was allowed to eat their normal diet, consisting of approximately 40% of calories from fat.

At the end of the 7-month study period, which spanned their competitive season, the free-testosterone concentrations of the players on the “30% team” were found to be approximately 22% higher, on average, over the “40% team” (22 vs. 18 nmol/l).(6)

These findings were supported by a related study which showed a negative correlation between fat intake and free-testosterone levels among identical male twins. In other words, subjects consuming an average of 41% of their calories from fat had significantly lower free-testosterone levels compared to their identical twins who consumed 36% of their calories from fat.(2)

From this information, we can extrapolate the approximate range of fat intake needed to help promote peak levels of biologically active free testosterone in the bloodstream is somewhere between 20% and 40%.

References Cited
1 T. Akerfeldt, Unpublished Research (Department of Medical Sciences, Nutrition Unit, Uppsala University, 1998).
2 D.T. Bishop, et al., “The Effects of Nutritional Factors on Sex Hormone Levels in Male Twins,” Genet. Epidemiol. 5.1 (1988) : 43-59.
3 E.K. Hamalainen, et al., “Decrease of Serum Total and Free Testosterone During a Low-Fat High-Fibre Diet,” J. Steroid Biochem. 18.3 (1983) : 369-370.
4 D.M. Ingram, et al., “Effect of Low-Fat Diet on Female Sex Hormone Levels,” J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 79.6 (1987) : 1225-1229.
5 M.J. Reed, et al., “Dietary Lipids: An Additional Regulator of Plasma Levels of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin,” J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 64.5 (1987) : 1083-1085.
6 R. Tegelman, et al., “Effects of a Diet Regimen on Pituitary and Steroid Hormones in Male Ice Hockey Players,” Int. J. Sports Med. 13.5 (1992) : 424-430.

bigjoex

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 08:48:10 AM »
i had a problem like that 2 but my friend gave me a site that said this
By: Marc David

How Do I Calculate Caloric Needs Based On My Goal (gain/loss/maintain)?

Listen, figuring out how many calories a day you need to lose weight, maintain your weight or gain weight really isn't too hard. And with the formula I'm about to give you plus a very cool website, you can easily track where you are and what you need to do daily to reach your goals. So lets' begin!

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE, THEN LOSING, MAINTAINING OR GAINING WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE!

Step 1:

Take your current body weight in pounds (lbs) and multiply by 11.

Example: 194 lbs x 11 = 2134 calories

This is what I need to just keep what I have, without moving. But remember, you do move. So you have to then calculate your metabolic factors into this... so off to step 2...

Step 2:

Figure out your metabolic factor according to the table below.

But first, some definitions to help you determine where you might fit in:

Slow Metabolism: You basically look at food and you seem to put on pounds. You can gain weight by eating salads but it's difficult to lose the weight.

Moderator Metabolism: You can gain weight if you try. You can lose weight if you try. You really don't have trouble losing weight depending on what you want to do.

Fast Metabolism: You are the skinny guy or gal who can eat *ANYTHING* and it makes no difference. Gaining weight is difficult. Losing weight can happen overnight. Just by watching T.V. you seem to shed pounds.

Metabolic %

Under 30 years old
Slow Metabolism- 30%
Moderate Metabolism- 40%
Fast Metabolism- 50%

30-40 years old
Slow Metabolism- 25%
Moderate Metabolism- 35%
Fast Metabolism- 45%

Over 40 years old
Slow Metabolism- 20%
Moderate Metabolism- 30%
Fast Metabolism- 40%

Example: 2134 calories x 35% = 746.90

I took my calories needed above just to sit here and not move and multipled it by my metabolic factor and I find that I need an additional 746.90 calories because of my specific metabolism.

Step 3:

Put it together.

2134 + 746.90 = 2880.90 calories

I need 2,880.90 calories to maintain my current weight with my current activities.

Note: You can also adjust your metabolic factor if you do something that might take you to the next level. If you are a moderator metabolism person but you do distance running, it might make more sense to put your self in the fast category since you burn a lot more calories.

Step 4:

Now change the above with about 500 calories every day to reach your goals!

Lose Weight: I would take 2880.90 - 500 = 2380.90

Maintain Weight: I would just leave it at 2880.90 and continue what I was doing in my activities

Gain Weight: I would take 2880.90 + 500 = 3380.90

Note: 500 calories a day is just a general term everybody uses to say that adding this amount is within safe limits. Eat too much, and you end up storing fat. Cut too many calories and your body just goes into starvation mode and ends up retaining more fat. 500 is a safe, recommended guideline.

Step 5:

You must track what you are eating so you'll know if you've made your goal for the day. And tracking food does not have to be complicated with weights and scales.

It's a shame that so many people just start training and never figure out what they need to eat daily to reach their goals.

You can keep doing the math over and over as you reach a goal. If you are bulking, your requirements will change as you progress. And when you lose weight they will as well. You might want to lose weight, reach a target weight and then maintain. So you will do this formula again when you have hit the weight you want.

and ive been doing what the formula gave me for calories a day and its beeen working good i have got good gains from it and working out like an animal

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 09:07:56 AM »
Oh great, another "study."  ::)

Just kidding, Hulk.   ;D  That's good stuff and I might bump fats from 20 to 30 for a couple weeks as an experiment.  Thanks man.

ryu007

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the calorie formula. Looks like I need to take about 3460 a day. I'll post up in a couple of weeks again and let you know if that worked out for me.

bigjoex

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 06:37:49 PM »
ight i have to take 3500 a day and it works good just need time and it will work

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 03:25:34 AM »
If you are having trouble gaining, and you are already pretty toned. try some creatine.  when I weighed 165, it shot me up to 190 in 2 weeks.  Else you need to increase your calories.  Try PB and Jelly or honey 3 meals a day.  The protien and fat in the PB will builk you up pretty fast.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 06:18:06 PM »
say hi to the resident tapeworm  ;D

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 08:28:29 PM »
how tall r u? that may be a factor too.  i agree with the others though pb&j will definitely help with gaining weight.  and suck down alot of protein shakes too! 

ryu007

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »
how tall r u? that may be a factor too.  i agree with the others though pb&j will definitely help with gaining weight.  and suck down alot of protein shakes too! 
I'm 5'9", and I've been trying the pb and protein too. Good advice all around, in the past week since I've posted this up I'ved managed to put on almost 5 pounds. The problem is, I feel like it's mostly in my gut though. I cut cardio completely out, so maybe that factored into it too.