Author Topic: I'm Sick of Kettlebell People  (Read 1542 times)

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
I'm Sick of Kettlebell People
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
I guess I'm missing out on something because I can't discuss conventional lifting with someone without them claiming I'll get "functionally" stronger if I trained with kettlebells and did cross fit.  I'm not saying kettlebells aren't good, but it seems like anyone who trains with them are on a high horse and have to let everybody know that's their thing.

Anybody have similar experiences?

Mike

• Getbig IV
Re: I'm Sick of Kettlebell People
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:57:40 AM »
Kettlebells don't bother me to much.  If your goal is to become better at something (i.e. specific sport, balance, flexibility, stability, variations) then kettlebells are a good SUPPLEMENT to a workout.  Not for bodybuilding.

Crossfit (www.crossfit.com) pisses me off, only because I wish I came up with it.  It's mindless.  Do 100 pushups, 100 situps and 100 pullups as fast as you can....good, that's one workout.

It's good becasue they bring working out back to basics and takes people off of bodybuilding routines (muscle group splits) and has them doing full body workouts with bodyweight and cardio mixed in. 

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »
What are you talking about?  Kettleballs are responsible for building some of the top physiques today.  Look at Lee Priest and Jay Cutler, huge fans of kettleballs.  Trust me, if you want a body worth having, you'll go out and pick up some today.  I'm a big fan of the 5lb. Kettles myself!  yeah! ::)
N

jong_1

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »
I attended one of Pavel Tsatsouline's seminars several years ago in St. Paul, MN when I resided there...and before they were so expensive. I think he's pretty fair about the use/pros/cons of both free weights and kettlebells. He is very straighforward about the high chance for injury with kettlebells if proper technique is not utilized. I have witnessed a number of people execute kettlebell exercises with ridiculously horrible form and quite a few have dropped the idea/exercise entirely because the workouts are very demanding if done properly.

I think Mike's post above is accurate. If you want to maintain a physique significantly different than that of a 'bodybuilder', kettlebells will greatly assist but they are an excellent supplement to a weightlifting routine, again, provided that execution is near perfect.

I'd rather perfrom regular barbell cleans than kettlebell lift/clean repetitions. Having utilized both, the barbell was more intense and I was easily breathing just as hard after each set.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:46:07 AM »
I guess I'm missing out on something because I can't discuss conventional lifting with someone without them claiming I'll get "functionally" stronger if I trained with kettlebells and did cross fit.  I'm not saying kettlebells aren't good, but it seems like anyone who trains with them are on a high horse and have to let everybody know that's their thing.

Anybody have similar experiences?
Stick to freeweights and hammer strength machines and cardio. Its the pinnacle of what built some of the best physiques in the world today and those are physiques of all sizes.

PB

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 12:18:45 PM »
I dont think kettlebell training is for bbing. Its more for athletes that require performance enhancing weight training routines. Building core strength/athletic ability is not bbing.  I read a quote on training football players, "we dont build refrigerators, all they do is sit in the corner." Guys who train with kettlebells are training to move their bodyweight with explosive power and strength, not to look big doing a 'most muscular'.  Using iso movements to train thats great for bodybuilding, but if you wanna playfootball its a diff story. 

nder98

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getlaid!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »
Those things look really awkward and uncomfortable to train with..