Author Topic: Do the Politicians recognize the bias of the media?  (Read 2461 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Do the Politicians recognize the bias of the media?
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:44:04 AM »
if there is no Bias, how come Obama and Hillary are only willing to be in a debate if it is hosted by certain outlets? They have all turned down FOX
gotta love life

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: Do the Politicians recognize the bias of the media?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:48:36 AM »
Are you factoring network personalities into your theory? Obviously candidates want to go on a show with a host that will be "friendly" to their campaign. There are certain hosts on all networks that have particular leanings.

O'Reilly, Olberman and Hannity come immediately to mind but there are others as well. Do you think it's a network issue with the candidates or an individual show host issue? I think it's a little bit of both.

I have no doubt the Democratic candidates would go on a Fox show if they knew the host would be "friendly". I'm sure the same can be said for Republican candidates on CNN.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
Are you factoring network personalities into your theory? Obviously candidates want to go on a show with a host that will be "friendly" to their campaign. There are certain hosts on all networks that have particular leanings.

O'Reilly, Olberman and Hannity come immediately to mind but there are others as well. Do you think it's a network issue with the candidates or an individual show host issue? I think it's a little bit of both.

I have no doubt the Democratic candidates would go on a Fox show if they knew the host would be "friendly". I'm sure the same can be said for Republican candidates on CNN.

all I know is that the 3 major Dem presidential candidates have turned down offers from FOX, and SLC Dem mayor Rocky Anderson turned down the FOX station in SLC for the same offer....these guys know that they will be challenged on FOX and given a pass on ABC/NBC/CBS regardless of the host. I would say the same thing if a Repub turns down Olberman.
gotta love life

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »
all I know is that the 3 major Dem presidential candidates have turned down offers from FOX, and SLC Dem mayor Rocky Anderson turned down the FOX station in SLC for the same offer....these guys know that they will be challenged on FOX and given a pass on ABC/NBC/CBS regardless of the host. I would say the same thing if a Repub turns down Olberman.

I'm not sure of the exact situation that you're talking about but I'd be interested to know what the circumstances were. When you say FOX I'm not sure what that means exactly, they would have to go on a particular show and the host of that show would mean the difference between accepting and refusing.

I agree though that all candidates regardless of party should utilize all networks. The Republicans are incredibly vulnerable right now yet the Democrats have not taken advantage of this in even the smallest way. It's really a condemnation of the party as a whole.

A strong Democrat could absolutely rule the roost right now, yet where is he?

_Morrison_

• Getbig II
  • People age like milk.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »
if there is no Bias, how come Obama and Hillary are only willing to be in a debate if it is hosted by certain outlets? They have all turned down FOX

That's because FOX is Republican and they're Democratic.  They don't get along well.

But I do think that there is a bias because pretty much every politician worth mentioning has private interest groups supporting them, so naturally, they will cater to whoever pays the bills.
They do.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:15:25 AM »
Didn't Obama reject FOX b/c it ran a false story about Obama's early life?

Behind the 'Madrassa Hoax'
What a bogus report on Barack Obama reveals about the media food chain
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16842036/site/newsweek/

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 12:20:49 PM »
Didn't Obama reject FOX b/c it ran a false story about Obama's early life?

Behind the 'Madrassa Hoax'
What a bogus report on Barack Obama reveals about the media food chain
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16842036/site/newsweek/

if it were me I would WANT to be on the opposition, getting a chance to speak to their viewers, quit playing it safe
gotta love life

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 01:52:12 PM »
I wouldn't go on a network that reported flase stories about me.  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:55:40 PM »
Bill OReilly told the world in late novemeber (right AFTER elections!) that FOX's job, and his job, was to "level the playing field" in terms of media reporting.

He said it was no longer about telling all sides of the story - instead, it had grown into "showing the side of the story the left media won't show you".  He spent 3 weeks straight using "S-P" to defile anyone who didn't agree with Bush, and even had such gems as "These same people who want to leave iraq also hate reagan and love castro".  I mean, it was so obviously an inaccurate play on emotions, it sickened me.

I don't blame any candidate for not wanting to go on FOX, since their top guy admitted their job was to tell a right-slanted story.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
I wouldn't go on a network that reported flase stories about me.  ::)

if you are going to be on in a live debate how can they make up shit about you now...chance to set the record straight, plain and simple Obama is clearly a bitch
gotta love life

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »

Because at the Liberal networks, they know they'll get asked soft questions, if they go over to FOX, they'll get the questions that the other networks are afraid to ask. Case in point, Chris Wallace handed Bill Clinton his ASS in front of the world, how classic was that  8)??

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 03:59:23 PM »
Because at the Liberal networks, they know they'll get asked soft questions, if they go over to FOX, they'll get the questions that the other networks are afraid to ask. Case in point, Chris Wallace handed Bill Clinton his ASS in front of the world, how classic was that  8)??

Here is the interview.

Watch it.

Do you think Wallace handed Clinton his ass?

Or the other way around?

The whole interview:
(Pt 1)

(Pt 2)

(Pt 3)

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 04:08:52 PM »

Well, what about the Whitehouse press guys being hand picked to throw nice lofty softballs at the White House staff?

Has everyone forgotten about Gannon already?   

The media is not liberal or conservative... The media does what the public wants.

When the public wanted War and everyone thought Bush was great (Some of the highest approval ratings in history) that "Liberal Media" was sucking his crotch. Now that the general consensus of the public is that the war is bad and that Bush is an idiot, well.... They've changed their stance.

That is pretty much how it's always been... I don't understand why everyone says it's "Liberal" or "Conservative".

Can people not change their minds and supporting stances? I have about this whole Iraq thing, and I've changed my mind about quite a few other things in the past actually.

You can't deny that Fox News has admitted that they are reporting "the side" that they want to... They've said so. Why don't you ask them where the "fair and balanced" reporting went?

Here is the interview.

Watch it.

Do you think Wallace handed Clinton his ass?

Or the other way around?

The whole interview:
(Pt 1)

(Pt 2)

(Pt 3)

-Hedge

Yeah, Let's be honest... Clinton smoked him.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »
Yelling at someone doesn't constitute smoking him, after the interview alot people started to research and analyze the interview of what Clinton said, and it turned out to be a disaster for him after the research discovered he did lie. Why do you think he was so pissed at his staff for setting up that interview with Wallace and if I recall, he was telling Wallace that he "set him up" when the interview was supposed to be about something else. No, Clinton's the one who got smoked!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 06:15:09 PM »
Yelling at someone doesn't constitute smoking him, after the interview alot people started to research and analyze the interview of what Clinton said, and it turned out to be a disaster for him after the research discovered he did lie. Why do you think he was so pissed at his staff for setting up that interview with Wallace and if I recall, he was telling Wallace that he "set him up" when the interview was supposed to be about something else. No, Clinton's the one who got smoked!

Haha... Yelling? Come on... He didn't let Wallace shaft him in the interview... that's all.

You want to talk about yelling, you have got to look at your boy, Bill O' Reilly... He loud mouths, yells, and bullies everyone who comes on his show with an opposing view point.

Why is it ok for him, but bad when someone else does it? What about the rest of my points about the media?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 08:56:08 PM »

Why is it ok for him, but bad when someone else does it? What about the rest of my points about the media?

Because Clinton was the President and O'Reilly is just a commentator....HUGE difference. What points are you referring to?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 10:22:54 PM »
Because Clinton was the President and O'Reilly is just a commentator....HUGE difference. What points are you referring to?

Clinton was not the President when he made those statements was he?

O'Reilly is a reporter... not a commentator.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 10:25:08 PM »
Clinton was not the President when he made those statements was he?

O'Reilly is a reporter... not a commentator.

No, but he is still referred to as "Mr. President".

O'Reilly is a commentator, reporters are not allowed to comment.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 07:05:44 AM »
FOX??? OH BROTHER ::)  Because of FOX's extreme right leaning bias, that's why... Jesus, come on, Dems have been ruthlessly attacked on a dailly basis and Fox has served as the White House's personal media machine for Bush's entire presidency and you're asking this question  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 09:20:54 AM »
No, but he is still referred to as "Mr. President".

O'Reilly is a commentator, reporters are not allowed to comment.

Then why is he on Fox "News"?

Really, the point is, do you think that a former President, who is no longer in office, but being blamed for things which happened AFTER he left, should be allowed to defend himself?

I think he should... If a Dem had the whitehouse, and congress, and it happened under their watch, would they be allowed to blame it on their prior Republican President? I don't think so...

Let's say they did though... Should that prior President be allowed to defend himself... I think they should.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 10:04:25 AM »
if you are going to be on in a live debate how can they make up shit about you now...chance to set the record straight, plain and simple Obama is clearly a bitch

Can't reason with neocons dude!  This forum should tell you that they can't be reasoned with.  ;D

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 11:02:28 AM »
FOX??? OH BROTHER ::)  Because of FOX's extreme right leaning bias, that's why... Jesus, come on, Dems have been ruthlessly attacked on a dailly basis and Fox has served as the White House's personal media machine for Bush's entire presidency and you're asking this question  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

so they want to avoid the tough questions then, basically like I have said...pussies..they wanted it handed to them. Bush is bashed daily on every channel except fox and yet he agrees to interviews with all of them
gotta love life