Author Topic: Paul Wolfowitz Quits World Bank  (Read 4651 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Paul Wolfowitz Quits World Bank
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:06:58 PM »
World Bank Chief Apologizes for Arranging Job
By DAVID STOUT

WASHINGTON, April 12 — Paul D. Wolfowitz, the president of the World Bank, apologized today for his role in arranging a highly paid job at the State Department for a woman with whom he has a personal relationship.

“I made a mistake, for which I am sorry,” Mr. Wolfowitz said in a statement on the World Bank’s Web site. He said that in retrospect he should have “trusted my original instincts” and stayed out of the job negotiations involving the woman, Shaha Ali Riza.

The transfer of Ms. Riza from the World Bank to a higher-paying job at the State Department has caused resentment among employees of the World Bank, and at an unfortunate time. The controversy threatens to overshadow the annual meeting of the World Bank and its sister organization, the International Monetary Fund, in Washington this weekend. The yearly event draws finance ministers from hundreds of countries.

Mr. Wolfowitz seemed to be throwing himself on the mercy of the World Bank board members, who are meeting today. “I will accept any remedies they propose,” he said in his statement. He had promised earlier to “cooperate fully” with the board’s review of the episode.

“I cannot speculate on what the board is going to decide,” Mr. Wolfowitz told The Associated Press.

But the World Bank’s staff association said today that Mr. Wolfowitz had “compromised the integrity and effectiveness” of the bank and “destroyed the staff’s trust in his leadership,” and so should resign, The A.P. said.

Mr. Wolfowitz, 63, has said that he arranged for Ms. Riza’s transfer because World Bank rules bar the institution’s employees from supervising anyone with whom they have a personal relationship, and that he consulted the bank’s executive board. But the transfer — and Ms. Riza’s salary, which the Government Accountability Project, an independent watchdog group, said is $193,500, about $10,000 more than Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s — only fueled more resentment among bank employees.

Mr. Wolfowitz, who became the World Bank’s president in 2005, has also been unpopular among some bank employees because he was an architect of the Iraq war in his previous post as deputy to Donald H. Rumsfeld, then the defense secretary.

“For those people who disagree with the things that they associate me with in my previous job, I’m not in my previous job,” Mr. Wolfowitz said in his statement today. “I’m not working for the U.S. government; I’m working for this institution and its 185 shareholders,” he said, alluding to the worldwide membership of nations.

The World Bank and the I.M.F. were created shortly after World War II to help countries ravaged by the conflict. In more recent years, the institutions have tried to assist newly independent and developing nations in Africa, Asia and other regions.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: Paul Wolfowitz Apologizes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26:04 PM »
“For those people who disagree with the things that they associate me with in my previous job, I’m not in my previous job,” Mr. Wolfowitz said in his statement today.

I don't think there's a statute of limitations on war crimes.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:53:52 PM »
there is

Hmm. Well, in Wolfie's case, it would probably be hard to get a war crimes conviction anyway.

But if he thinks anyone is just going to forgive and forget his fingerprints at a crime scene where 600,000 people were murdered... I don't see it happening.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »
Hmm. Well, in Wolfie's case, it would probably be hard to get a war crimes conviction anyway.

But if he thinks anyone is just going to forgive and forget his fingerprints at a crime scene where 600,000 people were murdered... I don't see it happening.

600,000? The UN report released last month listed it at 50,000 and change...hmmm but you wouldn't exagerrate would you?
gotta love life

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:48:05 PM »
600,000? The UN report released last month listed it at 50,000 and change...hmmm but you wouldn't exagerrate would you?

When I saw you had posted in this thread, I laughed and thought, "Well, I know he drank all his Kool-Aid and went back for seconds a long time ago. But defending Wolfowitz? This I gotta see..."

Is this really what you've reduced yourself to, MM? Defending your boy on the basis of the fact that he engineered the murder of only 50,000 people?

Words fail me.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »
When I saw you had posted in this thread, I laughed and thought, "Well, I know he drank all his Kool-Aid and went back for seconds a long time ago. But defending Wolfowitz? This I gotta see..."

Is this really what you've reduced yourself to, MM? Defending your boy on the basis of the fact that he engineered the murder of only 50,000 people?

Words fail me.

my reply had nothing to do with wolfowitz...we all celebrated when Rumsfeld left..I was just questioning your numbers
gotta love life

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 03:14:37 PM »
This just in... Wolfowitz has agreed to resign effective June 30th.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 03:29:08 PM »
This just in... Wolfowitz has agreed to resign effective June 30th.

So far all I've seen is a Yahoo front page blurb that says the AP is reporting this. I didn't see anything on the AP web site about it.

I'm scared to get my hopes up. But if on July 1st we've finally managed to flush this piece of shit down the toilet, I'll shout Huzzah from the highest rooftop.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
Re: Paul Wolfowitz Quits World Bank
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »
 Embattled World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz will leave office June 30 amid a controversy over his handling of a pay package for his girlfriend, a bank employee, the institution's board of directors announced Thursday.

President Bush on Thursday sounded as if he was resigned to the fact that Wolfowitz's tenure was coming to an end.

Senior World Bank officials told CNN earlier Thursday that they expected Wolfowitz to announce his resignation "soon."

On Wednesday bank directors held talks with Wolfowitz and White House officials amid reports they were close to reaching an agreement.

The agreement they were discussing would allow Wolfowitz to leave voluntarily in return for the bank's admission of some culpability in the handling of his girlfriend Shaha Riza's transfer to a State Department job and hefty pay raise, senior administration officials told CNN.

Wolfowitz had served as undersecretary for defense and had helped plan the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. Bush had nominated him to serve as the World Bank's president.

"I admire Paul Wolfowitz, I admire his heart and I particularly admired his focus on helping the poor," Bush told reporters. "There's a board meeting going on as we speak. All I can tell you is I know that Paul Wolfowitz has an interest in what's best for the bank."

Bush applauded Wolfowitz for having made sure the bank "focused on things that matter -- human suffering, the human condition." He added, "I respect him a lot and, as I say, I regret that it's come to this right now."

The White House has concluded that he cannot serve anymore, administration sources familiar with the discussions told CNN on Wednesday.

"We want it over, one way or the other," said a senior administration official, who added that the White House was merely reacting to the "reality" of Wolfowitz's shriveling support on the bank board. "If you can't win, you can't win." (Watch how Wolfowitz is criticized in an internal World Bank report Video)

The ongoing talks center on the wording of a statement, which the board needs to come up with in the next few days or risk losing credibility with the staff, a senior bank official told CNN.

"The staff is very agitated over this," the senior bank official said. "The board knows it risks becoming the target of the staff's wrath in this."

Wolfowitz attorney Bob Bennett had left the door open for departure if Wolfowitz isn't found the be the only one responsible.

"He will not resign under this cloud and that remains his position," Bennett said. "We have presented an overpowering case to the full board. If we win that case to the full board, then things may work out."

One holdup in the talks was U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, who continued to support Wolfowitz.

The board rejected an earlier U.S. plan under which the U.S. would discuss Wolfowitz's resignation only if the board of ethics violations exonerated him, a member of the bank board told CNN.

The board had enough votes to fire Wolfowitz but was trying to avoid a full vote, which would leave the United States isolated in its support for Wolfowitz, the official said.

"They want to give Wolfowitz and the U.S. a way out," the source said. "They are telling [U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry] Paulson if needed, they will vote him out, but they don't want to break up the board. They want the United States to be part of the consensus in finding a solution."

The United States has "already lost a great deal of prestige on the board," the official added. Wolfowitz's expected resignation would likely lead to an "open discussion about whether the U.S. should be able to pick his successor."

Should the Ethics Committee admit some culpability, staff firings are not expected, because most of the committee members who dealt with Wolfowitz on the matter have since left the bank, the official said.

Wolfowitz was supposed to travel to Slovenia Wednesday night on World Bank business but a World Bank official told CNN that the trip is on hold.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/17/world.bank.wolfowitz/index.html

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
It's Bush's fault!

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 04:09:44 PM »
It's Bush's fault!

Which part?

The "appointing his disgraced crony to the World Bank as a lucrative golden parachute" part?

Or the "comically ignoring his screamingly obvious guilt with expressions of 'full confidence' " part ?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 04:13:32 PM »
Which part?

The "appointing his disgraced crony to the World Bank as a lucrative golden parachute" part?

Or the "comically ignoring his screamingly obvious guilt with expressions of 'full confidence' " part ?

Everything is Bush's fault, I woke up this morning with hangnail and I decided to blame Bush for it!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 04:23:43 PM »
Paul Wolfowitz at the World Bank: A post-mortem

For Wolfowitz, a 2nd Chance Dissolves Into Failure
By STEVEN R. WEISMAN

WASHINGTON, May 17 — Paul D. Wolfowitz was ready to move on from the Pentagon in early 2005. But he had been thwarted in his effort to become defense secretary or national security adviser. The war in Iraq, meanwhile, had deteriorated. So when the World Bank presidency came open, he jumped at the opportunity.

It offered him a “second chance” to redeem his reputation and realize his ambitions, a friend who has known him for decades says.

Months later, another friend ran into the new bank president and asked how he was enjoying the job. Mr. Wolfowitz unleashed a torrent of bitter complaints about the bank’s bureaucracy, saying it was the worst he had ever seen — worse than the Pentagon.

Now, as friends and critics sort through the wreckage of Mr. Wolfowitz’s career at the World Bank following his resignation as president this evening, they wonder if it was doomed from the outset. Supporters say that he arrived at the bank, a citadel of liberalism, from a four-year stint at the Pentagon, bearing the stigma of Iraq. He was determined to shake up the status quo by rooting out what he saw as corruption and waste and demanding measurable results from the bank’s many aid programs.

“The bank leadership didn’t like Paul challenging their assumptions,” said Robert B. Holland III, a Texas businessman who represented the Bush administration on the bank board until last year. “They have all been there a long time, and they are used to promoting each other’s interests and scratching each other’s back.”

But others think Mr. Wolfowitz, in seeking a second chance after Iraq, repeated the same mistakes he made at the Pentagon of adopting a single-minded position on certain matters, refusing to entertain alternative views and marginalizing dissenters.

“Wolfowitz unsettled people from the outset,” said Manish Bapna, executive director of the Bank Information Center, an independent watchdog group. “His style was seen as an ad hoc subjective approach to punishing enemies and rewarding friends.”

At the Pentagon, Mr. Wolfowitz was an early champion of going to war with Iraq, just a few days after Sept. 11, 2001, and continued his advocacy for regime change in Iraq over the next year. His time at the Pentagon was characterized by infighting, especially with the Central Intelligence Agency, which he thought underestimated Iraq as a threat to the United States. He clashed with Gen. Eric K. Shinseki, the Army chief of staff, and others who warned — correctly, it turned out — that the United States needed more forces in Iraq. His vision of democracy in the Arab world also ran aground in Baghdad.

Despite the administration’s aversion to multilateral institutions, many at the World Bank had initially hoped that Mr. Wolfowitz — a neoconservative intellectual, former academic dean and ambassador to Indonesia — could help forge a new consensus with liberals on ways to more effectively aid poor countries.

But his low-key, intellectual approach to subjects belied a determination to get his way, according to bank officials.

These accounts, coming as Mr. Wolfowitz negotiated the terms of his departure, are from friends and current and former colleagues, both at the Pentagon and the World Bank, who have remained in contact with him.

Once Mr. Wolfowitz leaves the bank, friends say, he may join the legions of former colleagues, from George J. Tenet of the C.I.A. to L. Paul Bremer, the Iraq occupation leader, who have written books and Op-Ed pieces to defend their actions on the war.

Bank officials say, in fact, that when he arrived there in 2005, Mr. Wolfowitz wanted to write a book about Iraq and accept fees for speeches. That set off his first fight with ethics officers, who told him that he could not do so.

When these proposals were rejected, he soured on the office of the general counsel, Roberto Daniño, a former prime minister of Peru and the first official who suggested to him that Shaha Ali Riza, his companion and a bank employee, could not remain at the bank because she would come under his supervision.

Recently released bank documents show that Mr. Wolfowitz rejected Mr. Daniño’s advice on Ms. Riza and went directly to the bank board’s ethics committee in search of a different ruling. He also refused to deal with the general counsel on all other matters. An associate said he called Mr. Daniño “incompetent.”

Mr. Daniño, forced to resign last year, told a reporter at the time: “He presumes that anyone who opposes him is incompetent or corrupt.”

The battle with Mr. Daniño laid the groundwork for battles with Ad Melkert, the head of the bank board’s ethics committee, and Xavier Coll, a vice president for human resources, over the handling of Ms. Riza’s case. The three became Mr. Wolfowitz’s main accusers, asserting that he acted unethically in arranging pay raises, a promotion and a transfer for his companion.

Those disagreements might have faded into irrelevance if Mr. Wolfowitz had not waged other battles with the bank staff, many bank officials say.

At an institution obsessed with process, consensus and respect for its civil servants, Mr. Wolfowitz rankled people by bringing in two close aides from the Bush administration, Robin Cleveland and Kevin Kellems, and used them not only as advisers but as managers who issued directives to senior officers.

Among those with whom he tangled were Christiaan Poortman, a vice president for the Middle East, over Mr. Wolfowitz’s demand that the bank establish a greater presence in Iraq. Mr. Poortman, ordered to transfer to Kazakhstan, resigned instead.

Gobind Nakani, a vice president for Africa, also resigned following disputes with Mr. Wolfowitz over the size of his staff, according to several bank officials.

One official recalled Mr. Wolfowitz dressing down several top employees in the Africa division because they could not tell him whether the incidence of malaria among children had declined as a result of the bank’s program distributing bed nets to families.

Another official who left was Shengman Zhang, the top deputy to James Wolfensohn, Mr. Wolfowitz’s predecessor. Mr. Wolfowitz contended that it was hypocritical for bank officials to allow Mr. Zhang’s wife to work at the bank but to banish Ms. Riza. Mr. Zhang, now a senior vice president at Citigroup in Hong Kong, was furious, several associates say, because bank rules permit husbands and wives to work at the bank under circumscribed conditions, which Mr. Zhang said he followed, but they bar bank employees from having a sexual relationship with top bank officials outside of marriage. “What Paul didn’t understand is that the World Bank presidency is not inherently a powerful job,” a Bush administration official said, speaking anonymously to be more candid. “A bank president is successful only if he can form alliances with the bank’s many fiefdoms. Wolfowitz didn’t ally with those fiefdoms. He alienated them.”

Ms. Cleveland, a former budget official who handled defense matters when Mr. Wolfowitz was deputy defense secretary, sometimes delivered the news on key decisions to suspend aid to countries charged with corruption.

In a dispute with Chad over its use of revenues from a bank-financed oil pipeline, Ms. Cleveland ordered a suspension of money to Chad, according to several officials.

“It produced unpleasant negotiations and made people angry,” said a bank official. “The approach by Mr. Wolfowitz and Ms. Cleveland was one of confrontation. It positioned us as adversaries rather than partners.”

A similar decision to suspend financing for a health program in India last year rankled the British, a partner in the program. It caused the British development minister, Hilary Benn, to retaliate last fall by withdrawing a nominal amount of money for another bank program.

That matter was eventually resolved, but it helped ensure that Mr. Benn and his ally, Gordon Brown, chancellor of the Exchequer and presumed future prime minister of Britain, would not be in Mr. Wolfowitz’s corner in the current fight over his future.

Mr. Wolfowitz’s order to suspend funding for some countries alienated officials in Chad, Kenya, Congo and many other African nations, even though South Africa, Liberia and other African leaders supported his advocacy of honesty in bank activities.

Suspension of aid to Uzbekistan, which Mr. Wolfowitz said was on grounds of corruption, angered some at the bank who asserted that the real motivation was that country’s decision to suspend air rights for United States military operations in Afghanistan.

The battle over corruption came to a head last fall in Singapore, when a majority of the bank board demanded changes in the program, insisting that no suspensions of aid occur without consulting them.

They also blocked Mr. Wolfowitz from providing money to dissident groups over the objections of a country’s leaders, fearing that he was trying to duplicate the Bush administration’s support for dissidents who waged uprisings that led to the “rose revolution” in Georgia and the “orange revolution” in Ukraine.

In his final appeal to the bank board to save his job, Mr. Wolfowitz promised to change his management style. Mr. Kellems had quit, and Ms. Cleveland had moved out of her office next to Mr. Wolfowitz’s. His statement was filled with such phrases as “I relied much too long on advisers who came in with me from the outside;” “I now have a team of vice presidents and I am very comfortable empowering them and delegating to them,” he said, adding, “I am aware of the concern that I need to place more trust in the staff.”

Mr. Wolfowitz also said he hoped to continue pressing for programs to stop corruption, combat AIDS in Africa and avian flu in Asia, achieve new records of funding for the world’s poorest countries and do more to combat global warming.

In the end, however, his supporters said his willingness to resign came not because he had violated bank rules over the handling of his companion’s compensation, but because his leadership style had impeded progress on these issues. Whether or not the denouement was inevitable, Mr. Wolfowitz and his supporters came to see it more as the result of the war within the bank than the one in Iraq.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:36:09 PM »
For Wolfowitz, a 2nd Chance Dissolves Into Failure

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »
First Iraq blows up in his face and now he's fired from the World Bank.  This is humiliation on a grand scale.  :'(

I almost feel sorry for the guy.  Almost.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 04:39:51 PM »

lol.   :D  If only you had the sound effects. 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 04:48:25 PM »
I almost feel sorry for the guy.  Almost.  ;D

Don't let it spoil your afternoon.   :)

Paul was one of the finest public servants Dick Cheney has ever known! I'm sure the gang will find some new combs for him to lick. Maybe they'll make a spot for him on the board at Halliburton.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 07:34:58 AM »
This guy has been a colossal failure at just about everything he has tried in the past 7 years....May Bushie will nominate former FEMA head Mike Brown to head the World Bank.
footloose and fancy free

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 07:51:02 AM »
I don't think there's a statute of limitations on war crimes.
I haven't found any SOL on war crimes.  The very idea is ridiculous. 

In the US, there's no SOL on murder.  War crimes/Mass murder would seem to follow that paradigm.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 08:01:57 AM »
This guy has been a colossal failure at just about everything he has tried in the past 7 years....May Bushie will nominate former FEMA head Mike Brown to head the World Bank.

Well, at least he still has his girlfriend.  ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 08:46:59 AM »
Wolfowitz Blames Media for Resignation
The Associated Press
Monday, May 28, 2007; 6:05 AM

LONDON -- Departing World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz in a radio interview broadcast Monday blamed an overheated atmosphere at the bank and in the media for forcing him to resign.

Wolfowitz, who has announced he will step down June 30, denied suggestions that his decision to leave was influenced by an apparent lack of support from the bank's employees.

"I think it tells us more about the media than about the bank and I'll leave it at that," he told the British Broadcasting Corp. "People were reacting to a whole string of inaccurate statements and by the time we got to anything approximating accuracy the passions were around the bend."

Wolfowitz said that he was pleased the bank's board accepted that he had acted ethically, and in good faith in his handling of a generous compensation package for his girlfriend and bank employee Shaha Riza in 2005.

"I accept the fact that by the time we got around to that, emotions here were so overheated that I don't think I could have accomplished what I wanted to accomplish for the people I really care about," he said.

By tradition, the United States _ the bank's biggest financial contributor _ names an American to run the institution.

Wolfowitz's departure ends a two-year run at the development bank that was marked by controversy from the start, given his previous role as a major architect of the Iraq war when he served as the No. 2 official at the Pentagon.