Author Topic: Board: Druggists can't refuse prescriptions  (Read 3220 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Board: Druggists can't refuse prescriptions
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:20:51 AM »
It's always nice to see common sense prevail.

Disclaimer -  IMO - if you want to conduct your life based on your interpretation of a supernatural fairytale (pic your favorite) then you should be free to so at long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's freedom to make lawful choices for themselves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board: Druggists can't refuse prescriptions
Washington state regulators ruled pharmacists must fill morning-after pill

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:38 a.m. PT April 13, 2007
SEATTLE - Druggists who believe “morning-after” birth control pills are tantamount to abortion can’t stand in the way of a patient’s right to the drugs, state regulators have decided.

In a unanimous vote Thursday, the state Board of Pharmacy ruled that drug stores have a duty to fill lawful prescriptions despite an individual pharmacist’s personal objections to any particular medication.

Pharmacists or drug stores that violate the rules could face discipline from the board, which has the power to revoke state licenses.

The Washington State Catholic Conference and Human Life Washington, an anti-abortion group, predicted a court challenge, saying the rule wrongly forces pharmacists to administer medical treatments they consider immoral.

“I don’t think pharmacists who adhere to traditional moral precepts are going to allow their conscience to be overrun by the Board of Pharmacy,” said Dan Kennedy, Human Life’s chief executive.

Planned Parenthood spokeswoman Amy Luftig said the ruling “ensures that men and women will have access to their health care.”

“It also respects a pharmacist’s personal beliefs, so long as that doesn’t come before a patient’s needs,” she said.

Sold as Plan B, emergency contraception is a high dose of the drug found in many regular birth-control pills. It can lower the risk of pregnancy by as much as 89 percent if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

Some critics consider the pill related to abortion, although it is different from the abortion pill RU-486 and has no effect on women who already are pregnant.

The federal Food and Drug Administration made the morning-after pill available over the counter to adults in August.

Under the new state rule, pharmacists with personal objections to a drug could opt out by getting a co-worker to fill an order. But that would only apply if the patient is able to get the prescription in the same pharmacy visit.

Pharmacies would be required to order new supplies of a drug if a patient asks for something that is not in stock.

Pharmacists are also forbidden to destroy a prescription or harass patients, rules that were prompted by complaints from Washingtonians, chairwoman Rebecca Hille said.

The rule will take effect in mid-June, Health Department spokesman Jeff Smith said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18090057/

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: Board: Druggists can't refuse prescriptions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:43:13 AM »
Fuck the co-worker option.

If you're not prepared to carry out a legal action that is a duty of your state-licensed job, you lose your fucking license. End of story.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:46:13 AM »

If you're not prepared to carry out a legal action that is a duty of your state-licensed job, you lose your fucking license. End of story.

yeah...I completely agree. If I refuse to do MY job,I won't have one tomorrow.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »
yeah...I completely agree. If I refuse to do MY job,I won't have one tomorrow.

Why did you just completely change your post?

This whole story is incredible. What gives a pharmacist the right to not fill a prescription simply because he/she doesn't agree with the drug? This is my main problem with religion. The religious more often than not want to control the way other people live.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:54:35 AM »

I agree with you but I'm sure the board was trying to provide some type of compromise.

My personal opinion is that any pharmacist who equates the morning after pill with abortion is too dumb to be dispensing any type of drug

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/morning-after-pill/AN00592

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »

Under the new state rule, pharmacists with personal objections to a drug could opt out by getting a co-worker to fill an order. But that would only apply if the patient is able to get the prescription in the same pharmacy visit.

Sounds like a good compromise. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:20:01 AM »
Sounds like a good compromise. 
I was going to say the same thing. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »
I wonder how long it will be before pharmacists start substituting prescriptions with placebo sugar pills?
w

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 06:14:44 PM »
Why did you just completely change your post?

This whole story is incredible. What gives a pharmacist the right to not fill a prescription simply because he/she doesn't agree with the drug? This is my main problem with religion. The religious more often than not want to control the way other people live.

Well...I decided the rest was irrelevant. But I will repost it.

" I don't agree with the drug(nor am I religeous) but yeah...I completely agree. If I refuse to do MY job,I won't have one tomorrow. "

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 06:30:26 PM »

Well...I decided the rest was irrelevant. But I will repost it.

" I don't agree with the drug(nor am I religeous) but yeah...I completely agree. If I refuse to do MY job,I won't have one tomorrow. "

by drug are you referring to the morning after pill?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 08:14:14 PM »
by drug are you referring to the morning after pill?

yes. When I say I am not in favor of it,I don't want to sound like a religeous nut. I am not. I believe it is a personal choice and don't judge someone for that choice. I just mean that  IN MY OPINION , a pill like that ,if it were available to some people,would lead to careless  sexual behavior. I am refering to high school kids mainly. ..but to be honest,I would never debate the issue with anyone... I don't really care all that much,really...which is why I edited my original post in the first place.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:30:31 PM »
   yes. When I say I am not in favor of it,I don't want to sound like a religeous nut. I am not. I believe it is a personal choice and don't judge someone for that choice. I just mean that  IN MY OPINION , a pill like that ,if it were available to some people,would lead to careless  sexual behavior. I am refering to high school kids mainly. ..but to be honest,I would never debate the issue with anyone... I don't really care all that much,really...which is why I edited my original post in the first place.

if the pharmacist happens to own the pharmacy this is simple, just don't even carry the drug and you don't have to give it. BUT if you are working for someone else, guess what...it isn't yur choice to not fill it. Just like I called BS when the muslims didn't want to ring up bacon at Target, I am calling BS on this one.
gotta love life

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 10:03:12 PM »

what are your feelings about condoms?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 01:03:51 AM »

I can't feel anything  with a condom.  :P

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 09:19:25 AM »

selling them? If that is what you are asking, I feel the same. If someone OWNS their store and doesn't want to sell them that is thier chioce. As far as employees go, choices are gone. If you are asking about their use..I plan to have them available in the house when my kids get old enough.
gotta love life

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 09:45:46 AM »
selling them? If that is what you are asking, I feel the same. If someone OWNS their store and doesn't want to sell them that is thier chioce. As far as employees go, choices are gone. If you are asking about their use..I plan to have them available in the house when my kids get old enough.

you're  OK with condoms for your sons. 

Are you ok with the birth control pill for your daughters?

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 09:50:01 AM »
you're  OK with condoms for your sons. 

Are you ok with the birth control pill for your daughters?

yes, but I will also give her condoms because I know how kids are about taking pills. My son was born with my wife on the pill but she didn't take it everyday at the same time and what not, so i won't trust pills alone..now get to your point, I can see you are trying to lead me somewhere
gotta love life

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »
I think the major stumbling block for alot of people is that they perceive the morning-after pill as something that kills. in reality, the morning after pills works very similarly to an IUD in that it simply creates conditions in the uterine lining that is NOT conducive to a zygote attaching itself. If an egg had been fertilized, it will not attach itself to the uterine lining.  I may be mistaken, but I believe a woman can do the same by swallowing a months supply of birth control pills, ...although not as reliable.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »
yes, but I will also give her condoms because I know how kids are about taking pills. My son was born with my wife on the pill but she didn't take it everyday at the same time and what not, so i won't trust pills alone..now get to your point, I can see you are trying to lead me somewhere

If you're ok with using condoms or birth control pills to prevent pregnancy then you should be ok with the morning after pill because that's exactly what it does.  It prevents pregnancy.  It's not an abortion pill

That's why I said any pharmacists who equates the morning after pill to abortion is too dumb to be dispensing any drug.
-----------------------------

Here's how the morning-after pill works.

Human conception rarely occurs immediately after intercourse. Instead, it occurs as long as several days later, after ovulation. During the time between intercourse and conception, sperm continue to travel through the fallopian tube until the egg appears. So taking emergency birth control the "morning after" isn't too late to prevent pregnancy.

The active ingredients in morning-after pills are similar to those in birth control pills, except in higher doses. Some morning-after pills contain only one hormone, progestin (Plan B), and others contain two, progestin and estrogen. Progestin prevents the sperm from reaching the egg and keeps a fertilized egg from attaching to the wall of the uterus (implantation). Estrogen stops the ovaries from releasing eggs (ovulation) that can be fertilized by sperm.

The morning-after pill is designed to be taken within 72 hours of intercourse with a second dose taken 12 hours later. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fatigue and headache. According to the Food and Drug Administration, the morning-after pill is 80 percent effective in preventing pregnancy after a single act of unprotected sex.

Morning-after pills aren't the same thing as the so-called abortion pill, or mifepristone (Mifeprex). Emergency contraceptive pills prevent pregnancy. The abortion pill terminates an established pregnancy — one that has attached to the uterine wall and has already begun to develop.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 10:06:42 AM »
If you're ok with using condoms or birth control pills to prevent pregnancy then you should be ok with the morning after pill because that's exactly what it does.  It prevents pregnancy.  It's not an abortion pill

That's why I said any pharmacists who equates the morning after pill to abortion is too dumb to be dispensing any drug.
-----------------------------

Here's how the morning-after pill works.

Human conception rarely occurs immediately after intercourse. Instead, it occurs as long as several days later, after ovulation. During the time between intercourse and conception, sperm continue to travel through the fallopian tube until the egg appears. So taking emergency birth control the "morning after" isn't too late to prevent pregnancy.

The active ingredients in morning-after pills are similar to those in birth control pills, except in higher doses. Some morning-after pills contain only one hormone, progestin (Plan B), and others contain two, progestin and estrogen. Progestin prevents the sperm from reaching the egg and keeps a fertilized egg from attaching to the wall of the uterus (implantation). Estrogen stops the ovaries from releasing eggs (ovulation) that can be fertilized by sperm.

The morning-after pill is designed to be taken within 72 hours of intercourse with a second dose taken 12 hours later. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fatigue and headache. According to the Food and Drug Administration, the morning-after pill is 80 percent effective in preventing pregnancy after a single act of unprotected sex.

Morning-after pills aren't the same thing as the so-called abortion pill, or mifepristone (Mifeprex). Emergency contraceptive pills prevent pregnancy. The abortion pill terminates an established pregnancy — one that has attached to the uterine wall and has already begun to develop.

You will have to show me where I said I am not ok with it, because I haven't. What I said is if the person happend to be the owner then they can choose not to carry it. But if you work at a CVS or Wal-Mart or something like that, you don't have any right to refuse to serve it. I don't have a problem with it, I am sure you enjoyed your "I'll show him" moment but you need to read more carefully
gotta love life

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 10:13:37 AM »
You will have to show me where I said I am not ok with it, because I haven't. What I said is if the person happend to be the owner then they can choose not to carry it. But if you work at a CVS or Wal-Mart or something like that, you don't have any right to refuse to serve it. I don't have a problem with it, I am sure you enjoyed your "I'll show him" moment but you need to read more carefully

you didn't say it.  gtrbro1 said it when I asked if he was referring to the morning afterpill.  I was responding to him and you jumped in.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 10:16:12 AM »

That was also the same arguments made by opponents of the birth control pill when it first came out.
w

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 10:17:53 AM »
you didn't say it.  gtrbro1 said it when I asked if he was referring to the morning afterpill.  I was responding to him and you jumped in.

roger, sorry for the confusion this made me think you were talking to me

If you're ok with using condoms or birth control pills to prevent pregnancy (which is what we were talkign about) then you should be ok with the morning after pill because that's exactly what it does.  It prevents pregnancy.  It's not an abortion pill

That's why I said any pharmacists who equates the morning after pill to abortion is too dumb to be dispensing any drug
gotta love life

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 04:46:51 PM »
  Like I said...I honestly don't really give a shit. :)
 I posted at first that I wasn't in favor of it,then decided to edit that part out and someone called me on it,so I put it back up.
   I will admit I don't know the facts of how it works...what Jag said makes a lot of sense....I never gave it much thought,but I guess I sort of assumed it "killed" the egg....like an abortion pill.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 04:58:50 PM »
if the pharmacist happens to own the pharmacy this is simple, just don't even carry the drug and you don't have to give it. BUT if you are working for someone else, guess what...it isn't yur choice to not fill it. Just like I called BS when the muslims didn't want to ring up bacon at Target, I am calling BS on this one.

I hope that muslim was fired.

Even if that pharmacist owned the pharmacy he/she should lose his license if he/she refuses to give out a pill due to religious beliefs. You are working for someone, especially when you have a state license.