Author Topic: Really Big Dogs....or fake?  (Read 10713 times)

knny187

• Getbig V
Really Big Dogs....or fake?
« on: April 13, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »
The dog Kell....seems to be real.  The dog Hercules...seems to be fake....at least the photo does.

Discuss........

UK
20-stone dog is world's heaviest

Man's biggest friend: English mastiff, Kell

An English mastiff has been officially recognised as the heaviest dog in the world, at a massive 20 stone - and growing.
Proud owner Tom Scott, of East Leake, Notts, said Kell is two years old and is expected to continue to grow for the next two years.

She needs to be fed 100lb of beef every week, and drinks gallons of goats' milk to stay healthy.

Mr Scott, 21, said: "People cannot believe the size of her. When we go to the vet in Loughborough people stop and stare and they even gather outside the vet's to get a look."

It was only while watching a television programme on world records that Mr Scott realised he might have a world beater.

He said: "There was a dog called Murphy who was weighed at 108kg (17st) on the TV. I knew Kell was heavier than that and when we weighed her she was 118kg.

"By the time the officials from the Guinness Book of Records came she was 130kg and the vet has told me she is still growing."

Mr Scott owns 30 dogs, most of which are very large.

But he said: "Even my Great Dane looks little compared with Kell.

"She needs a couple of hours walking every day and if she decides to pull on the lead that can be a real problem."

Feeding such a huge dog is an expensive business and Mr Scott is hoping dog food manufacturers will step in to help.

"With Kell and the other dogs I am using about 1,200lb of beef and tripe every week. Kell's food bill alone comes to about £200."

But he added: "Some people are convinced she must just be fat or obese, but the vet looks at her regularly and I have a vet's certificate to say that she is not overweight - she is a happy and healthy dog."

Hercules: The World's Biggest Dog Ever According to Guinness World
Records
Hercules was recently awarded the honorable distinction of Worlds Biggest
Dog by Guinness World Records. Hercules is an English Mastiff and who has
a 38 inch neck and weighs 282 pounds.

With "paws the size of softballs" (reports the Boston Herald), the
three-year-old monster is far larger and heavier than his breed's
standard 200lb. limit. Hercules owner Mr. Flynn says that Hercules weight is
natural and not induced by a bizarre diet: "I fed him normal food and he just
"grew"... and grew. and grew. and grew.

Kell: Slightly Smaller, But the World's Heaviest Dog Hercules' sheer
volume may have won him the Largest Dog world record, but the Heaviest Dog title
still rests with Kell who weighed in at 286 pounds in August of 1999.
This English Mastiff, however, only has a 32-inch neck - far less than
Hercules' 38-incher. Think about that for a second though - 32 inches is a standard
waist size for a man!

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
Re: Really Big Dogs....or fake?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:57:14 AM »
Uhm...that English Mastiff is actually a Neopolitan Mastiff( Italian Mastiff)...I had two.. now have one left.....they don't grow to be that big... :-\
?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 08:29:37 AM »
Uhm...that English Mastiff is actually a Neopolitan Mastiff( Italian Mastiff)...I had two.. now have one left.....they don't grow to be that big... :-\

I figured you would have the best insight

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »
I figured you would have the best insight

... ;)
?

body88

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »
I like the english mastiffs. But I think the American mastiffs are better... They dont drool.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:28:18 AM »
I like the english mastiffs. But I think the American mastiffs are better... They dont drool.

I don't think we should talk about "better" but more about the difference between the two. By crossing the English Mastiff with a dog that was said to be an Anatolian Mastiff or Anatolian Shepherd.
The resulting puppies had a firm tight lower lip line and did not drool;selective breeding thereafter kept the dry mouth.

I for one don't care about the drooling and find it quit charming...but then again i have Neopolitan Mastiffs so they drool by default... ;D
?

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »
A picture of the English Mastiff..
?

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »
And some info on the both... ;)

The English Mastiff vs. The American Mastiff
Dr. William R. Newman
107 South Broad Street
Bedford, Pa. 15522

The MCOA is dedicated to the health and welfare of the English Mastiff breed conserving its unique breed function as a gentle giant companion and family guardian.

A pure bred dog of this type offers to his owners that he will be of a specific size, shape, color and temperament.

The predictability of a breed comes from years of selection for traits that are desirable and away from those that are undesirable. However, when a breed standard or type is set, those animals within that set have less heterozygosity than animals in a random population.

A so called “American Mastiff” is nothing but a mixed breed when the English Mastiff is crossed with an Anatolian Shepherd or whatever, the resultant first generation offspring, because it is a gamble, the offspring become an unpredictable mix. Coat, body shape, height, color, head etc become a veritable crap shoot. Behavior and temperament, the most essential character of an English Mastiff, varies and centuries of breeding for predictable behavior is lost when breeding to a dog of questionable temperament.

The MCOA is opposed to the cross breeding of pure bred dogs for the purpose of whim and fancy. These mixed breed dogs are not exempt from but more prone to the known genetic diseases of both breeds. They offer none of the advantages that owning a pure bred has to offer.

We urge you to avoid this temptation to purchase a “designer Mastiff”. Be a prudent and informed buyer – search for reputable English Mastiff web sites and most importantly the web site of the Mastiff Club of America..

Remember that buying a dog is not buying the latest electronic equipment, designer handbag or item of in style fancy. Rather it is a long term commitment to a living animal and with prudent selection, should result in wonderful long term relationship..

by:
Dr. William R. Newman

Delegate of the Mastiff Club of America

?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 02:01:39 PM »
I knew a guy when growing up that had a Bull Mastiff

The dog was a freak of nature....probably taller than breed standard

body88

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 10:35:06 AM »
I don't think we should talk about "better" but more about the difference between the two. By crossing the English Mastiff with a dog that was said to be an Anatolian Mastiff or Anatolian Shepherd.
The resulting puppies had a firm tight lower lip line and did not drool;selective breeding thereafter kept the dry mouth.

I for one don't care about the drooling and find it quit charming...but then again i have Neopolitan Mastiffs so they drool by default... ;D

True, just my personal preference. I love all dogs  :D I was not trying to knock the droolers  ;)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 10:58:40 AM »
 That's a big fuggin dog.
 :-\

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 03:30:56 AM »
That's a big fuggin dog.
 :-\

If only it were true huh?... ;)
?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 05:37:14 AM »
If only it were true huh?... ;)

imagine the mess when he starts humping someones leg. :-\

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 08:47:31 AM »
imagine the mess when he starts humping someones leg. :-\

A dog that big wouldn't be concentrating on humping just a leg

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 10:08:47 AM »
  http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hercules.asp

Claim:   Photograph shows Hercules, the world's biggest dog.

Click link to see the real Hercules and story.

(and see how EM knows his Mastiffs!!   ;) )

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »
I know my shit damnit... >:(

.... :-*
?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »
http://laughingsquid.com/freddy-the-great-dane-possibly-the-largest-dog-in-great-britain-and-a-contender-for-worlds-largest-dog/

Freddy the Great Dane, Possibly the Largest Dog In Great Britain and a Contender for World’s Largest Dog

Freddy is a massive eighteen-month old great dane who eats over $120 worth of food per week and can only be walked at times when there aren’t any other dogs around, according to his human, Clare Stoneman.

She even gets up in the small hours for his daily 40-minute walk – so they won’t meet other dogs who might be intimidated by him. ‘If he wants to run after a dog I wouldn’t be able to stop him,’ said Miss Stoneman, who is 5ft 4in tall. – Daily Mail

Freddie, who has grown to 41 inches measured from his paws to withers (between shoulder blades), is only three inches away from the current record for the world’s tallest dog. The record is currently held by a Michigan great dane named Zeus, who stands at 44 inches from paws to withers. But at eighteen months, Freddie may have a bit more growing to do before reaching his full height and when he does, perhaps that record will be his for the taking.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 07:21:04 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »