Author Topic: 900 lb squat, no knee wraps, no suit, just a belt  (Read 15594 times)

eliscominblue

• Getbig II
Re: 900 lb squat, no knee wraps, no suit, just a belt
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 05:51:28 AM »
Yes, he is very strong. But how much stronger does he appear to be due to having gear-inflated numbers?

John Kuc, at 242, lifted 830/500/870 raw. Is Vogelpohl stronger than that? I don't know, and neither does anyone else. THAT is the problem.

well put....that was/is my original argument.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 05:54:04 AM »
This is the dumbest argument Ive ever seen.Chuck only just recently switched to a canvas suit.For years and years he used a poly suit.The guy has been a national and world champ on numerous occasions.I love the way guys discount the lifters of today.Donny Thompson went into that NERB raw meet and did fine with just a belt,got called for depth at 880 and still totaled over 2300.Who said Chuck was stronger then Kuc?You guys compare the greatest guy in the history of the sport and then say "he couldnt stack up to him".Well,show me the NFL running back that matches up with JIMMY BROWN.Certain guys are legends for a reason.To say something as retarded as "Chuck could only squat 700 in the USPF" is assanine.The guy can do 700 pound good mornings.I will say this,let Kaz pull 1003 like Bolton.Please dont talk about the deadlift bar because you dont know what your talking about.That bar kills my deadlift.Its too springy,so when I pull it jerks me out of position.It helps my grip,but kills my exploseiveness.I have pulled 720 off a two inch block with no belt with a Texas power bar and only pulled 788 in a belt with the Oakie bar.That bar is overrated.Bolton is as strong as any human being has ever been.By the way,I will be switching over to the USPF in Nov.My bet is that I pull and bench better.Squatting will be tougher as I ripped off my patella and shattered my knee cap 1.5 years ago,but I will adapt and still hit good numbers.

eliscominblue

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 05:55:14 AM »

This is Kaz squating.  You don't see this at Westside.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 05:55:55 AM »
There goes my attempt at diplomacy. :)

Well, nobody could accuse you of not being diplomatic.

I think you definitely gives Vogelpohl the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not.

But I will definitely give him credit the day he posts a good result in legit organisation.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 05:58:55 AM »
This is the dumbest argument Ive ever seen.Chuck only just recently switched to a canvas suit.For years and years he used a poly suit.The guy has been a national and world champ on numerous occasions.I love the way guys discount the lifters of today.Donny Thompson went into that NERB raw meet and did fine with just a belt,got called for depth at 880 and still totaled over 2300.Who said Chuck was stronger then Kuc?You guys compare the greatest guy in the history of the sport and then say "he couldnt stack up to him".Well,show me the NFL running back that matches up with JIMMY BROWN.Certain guys are legends for a reason.To say something as retarded as "Chuck could only squat 700 in the USPF" is assanine.The guy can do 700 pound good mornings.I will say this,let Kaz pull 1003 like Bolton.Please dont talk about the deadlift bar because you dont know what your talking about.That bar kills my deadlift.Its too springy,so when I pull it jerks me out of position.It helps my grip,but kills my exploseiveness.I have pulled 720 off a two inch block with no belt with a Texas power bar and only pulled 788 in a belt with the Oakie bar.That bar is overrated.Bolton is as strong as any human being has ever been.By the way,I will be switching over to the USPF in Nov.My bet is that I pull and bench better.Squatting will be tougher as I ripped off my patella and shattered my knee cap 1.5 years ago,but I will adapt and still hit good numbers.

It's awesome to see you switching to USPF Mimnaugh.

I hope that many more will follow your lead.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 07:03:33 AM »
gimme a break with the "700 pound good mornings", i've seen the way they do this, they spread their feet six feet apart, bend their knees and lower themselves 5 inches, it's not physically possible for a human being to do A PROPER good morning with that type of weight.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 07:46:12 AM »

This is Kaz squating.  You don't see this at Westside.

Amen to that.

To paraphrase Ronnie Coleman: Everybody wants to get big ass numbers.

But nobody wants to squat that weight deep.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 10:23:03 AM »
Who said Chuck was stronger then Kuc?
I didn't. I wanted to compare them, but that is impossible these days. THAT is what sucks.

Certain guys are legends for a reason.
Exactly. And people are calling Vogelpohl a legend too. What I want to know is: is he TRULY a legend? I can't tell. He is a legend in the APF/WPO, that much is clear. Anything else is guess work.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »
gimme a break with the "700 pound good mornings", i've seen the way they do this, they spread their feet six feet apart, bend their knees and lower themselves 5 inches, it's not physically possible for a human being to do A PROPER good morning with that type of weight.

A buddy of mine, the brute, does good mornings with 600-685lbs all day and it's a legit good morning too. He didn't start squatting for years adn only did good morning and his opening squat was 600 with EASE. Credited his squatting to all those ridiculous good mornings.  :-X

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 06:40:43 AM »
Again,you dont have ANY idea what your talking about when it comes to good mornings.If you watch the Westside tape of the squat workout,Vogelpohl demonstrates seated good mornings and his head goes way past his knees.I have done 700X2 on the good morning with no belt and a buffalo bar.Matt Smith does a chain suspened good morning off a 35 inch suspension with 835.You dont know what your talking about.You probably are talking abot arched back good mornings,but every good morning Ive seen the Westside guys do is with a shoulder width and low[some of the lager waisted guys cant go as low as others].

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 07:04:17 AM »
Again,you dont have ANY idea what your talking about when it comes to good mornings.If you watch the Westside tape of the squat workout,Vogelpohl demonstrates seated good mornings and his head goes way past his knees.I have done 700X2 on the good morning with no belt and a buffalo bar.Matt Smith does a chain suspened good morning off a 35 inch suspension with 835.You dont know what your talking about.You probably are talking abot arched back good mornings,but every good morning Ive seen the Westside guys do is with a shoulder width and low[some of the lager waisted guys cant go as low as others].

http://karlstadsak.se/Westside/wbc_visit/wbc_best_quality.wmv

Check out the fat fcuk @ 5:02.

I'm sure he would be able to squat at least 900 lbs in the WPO.

There is not one squat in this entire clip that is even close to be below parallell.

But like I said, all bullshit aside, it's awesome to see you coming over to USPF to do some real powerlifting Mimnaugh. I'm sure you will do really well too.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 03:58:35 AM »
Are you implying that they are weak.Because the guys there are Mike Ruggeria,he has pulled 821,Chuck Voogelpohl has pulled over 800 at 242 and at 275,Bi Tim Harold has pulled over 830,The guy squatting with Big Tim is Joe Bayless who has pulled 777 at 242.I dont know the other guy.So,obviously with deadlifts like that,even a hater would have to admit they are strong as shit.I doubt,any would have trouble translating their strength to a single ply fed.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 05:25:29 AM »
http://karlstadsak.se/Westside/wbc_visit/wbc_best_quality.wmv

Check out the fat fcuk @ 5:02.

I'm sure he would be able to squat at least 900 lbs in the WPO.

There is not one squat in this entire clip that is even close to be below parallell.

But like I said, all bullshit aside, it's awesome to see you coming over to USPF to do some real powerlifting Mimnaugh. I'm sure you will do really well too.

-Hedge
I feel so skinny after watching that vid. And I'm 280.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »
i still have massive respect for gene, lewis, bolton, chuck v, oleksander, etc. what they do is incredibly difficult and it still requires a shit ton of power.

that said, it's not for me. benching 365 raw was far more satisfying than 455 shirted, squatting 405 for a double ass to my calves in just a belt today felt better than hitting 505 suited up to parallel with wraps. my pull has just been sucking ass lately so we won't talk about that.  :P