Author Topic: Troops not complaining about longer tours  (Read 1788 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Troops not complaining about longer tours
« on: April 14, 2007, 11:56:52 PM »
WASHINGTON —  Not all soldiers were surprised to learn that the Pentagon has decided to expand deployments in Iraq from 12 months to 15 months, though many who are speaking up say they were a little taken aback by the sudden nature of the announcement.

I think some of them had counted on this from the beginning. I think most of them have resigned themselves to soldiering on and getting the job done. I think most of them will take it day by day and I don't think there will be a lot of complaining and grief over this announcement," said Lt. Col. Wilson A. Shoffner, who commands the 2-319 Airborne Field Artillery 82nd Airborne Division.

The Army's Deputy Chief of Staff, Gen. James J. Lovelace Jr., said morale shouldn't be a problem since no soldier volunteers for just one year.

"Every kid who has joined the Army volunteered since 9/11," Lovelace said. "They know what they are getting into."
"There is only one person that we've not been able to re-enlist and he is still working out the contract issues but everybody else that's up for re-enlistment has re-enlisted in my platoon," said First Lt. Larry Pitts, also of the Army's 2-319 Airborne Field Artillery 82nd Airborne Division.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265762,00.html

gotta love life

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Re: Troops not complaining about longer tours
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 04:02:38 PM »
cricket
Valhalla awaits.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 04:05:07 PM »
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:06:03 PM »
so "all" the troops are not complaining about a 3-month extension in Iraq?  Or just some or most?  Which is it?
Or just his unit?

Just curious

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »
so "all" the troops are not complaining about a 3-month extension in Iraq?  Or just some or most?  Which is it?
Or just his unit?

Just curious

nothing in the world is ever unanimous right? I have yet to talk to one person that was mad about it though, of course they are out there somewhere. It means more time at home in the end
gotta love life

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 04:08:43 PM »
A pentagon press release reported by FOX news saying that a few men they talked to are completely happy to be going back into a warzone for longer than expected.

Yes, I see nothing indicating they have any motive to paint the news with a rosy brush.

Hey, let's look at the good General's statment:
"Every kid who has joined the Army volunteered since 9/11," Lovelace said. "They know what they are getting into."

So this general knows for a fact that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the tens of thousands of kids who have signed up since 9/11, knew they were getting into an Iraqi quagmire?  So the sucker that signed his name on Sept 12, 2001 and 4 years later lost his legs on an Iraqi IED - he knew what he was getting into, huh?

this is a propaganda piece.  Cav, you're smarter than to play the cricket card here.  Most journalistic pieces show BOTH sides of the story - not this one.  You have a general at the Pentagon telling FOX news that every kid who has signed up in the last 6 years knew what he was getting into, and is happy about it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 04:09:52 PM »
nothing in the world is ever unanimous right?

WRONG!

This general claims to have direct knowledge of the opinion and knowledge of EVERY SINGLE KID who signed up in the last 6 years.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 04:11:09 PM »
nothing in the world is ever unanimous right? I have yet to talk to one person that was mad about it though, of course they are out there somewhere. It means more time at home in the end

Then how do we know?  Should we poll them?   ;D

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »
WASHINGTON —  Not all soldiers were surprised to learn that the Pentagon has decided to expand deployments in Iraq from 12 months to 15 months, though many who are speaking up say they were a little taken aback by the sudden nature of the announcement.

I think some of them had counted on this from the beginning. I think most of them have resigned themselves to soldiering on and getting the job done. I think most of them will take it day by day and I don't think there will be a lot of complaining and grief over this announcement," said Lt. Col. Wilson A. Shoffner, who commands the 2-319 Airborne Field Artillery 82nd Airborne Division.

The Army's Deputy Chief of Staff, Gen. James J. Lovelace Jr., said morale shouldn't be a problem since no soldier volunteers for just one year.

"There is only one person that we've not been able to re-enlist and he is still working out the contract issues but everybody else that's up for re-enlistment has re-enlisted in my platoon," said First Lt. Larry Pitts, also of the Army's 2-319 Airborne Field Artillery 82nd Airborne Division.

BS is muted.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 04:13:45 PM »
Why use words when actions speak much louder?
We got a lot of refugees from Bush's war coming this side of the border.
It's called AWOL, ...and the military admits those numbers have been consistently growing every year
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 04:19:16 PM »
mm69, here's the deal.

Many of us support the war objectives.  We just don't like being bullshitted.

I'm okay with us taking their oil, fine.  We put in the pipeline, we take it at a price we like, okay.

I'm okay with installing bases and being in a good position to take out China/India should that day ever come, fine.

I'm NOT okay with my intelligence being insulted.  And what you're doing - gloating over a FOX/Pentagon puff piece - is annoying as shit.

Just be straight with people.  Many soldiers love the military.  There are some who joined to fight bin laden and yes, are a little upset they're suddenly refereeing an Iraqi civil war.  You don't have to share the general's obvious lie, that 100% of the men who joined knew what they were getting into, cause a lot didn't.  We all support the military and many of us do support the war.  Just stop feeding us bullshit and calling it sugar.

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
mm69, here's the deal.

Many of us support the war objectives.  We just don't like being bullshitted.

I'm okay with us taking their oil, fine.  We put in the pipeline, we take it at a price we like, okay.

I'm okay with installing bases and being in a good position to take out China/India should that day ever come, fine.

I'm NOT okay with my intelligence being insulted.  And what you're doing - gloating over a FOX/Pentagon puff piece - is annoying as shit.

Just be straight with people.  Many soldiers love the military.  There are some who joined to fight bin laden and yes, are a little upset they're suddenly refereeing an Iraqi civil war.  You don't have to share the general's obvious lie, that 100% of the men who joined knew what they were getting into, cause a lot didn't.  We all support the military and many of us do support the war.  Just stop feeding us bullshit and calling it sugar.
[/quote

240, MM has no real prespective as to whether troops are happy.

It's very possible Air Force guys are not complaining........why? Because they are very, very, far from "hell on earth".  I'm sure an extended tour on the USS Reagan, 50 miles offshore is a peice of cake. 

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 06:29:34 PM »
mm69 what's the name of that game where air force boys put a cookie in a circle and jack off on it, the person to miss it has to eat it?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 09:45:38 PM »

Good article.  I agree that anyone who joins the military during time of war should expect combat duty. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 04:14:00 AM »
Good article.  I agree that anyone who joins the military during time of war should expect combat duty. 

I bet most thought they'd be fighting Al Quida in afghanistan for 9/11 - not standing in sunni/shiite crossfire.

But hey, "if we don't fight them there, we'll be fighting them here", right?  I'm sure the starving dirt-poor sunnis and shiites will come to the USA to shoot at each other, right?

::)

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 04:56:20 AM »
Why use words when actions speak much louder?
We got a lot of refugees from Bush's war coming this side of the border.
It's called AWOL, ...and the military admits those numbers have been consistently growing every year

Good, chicken's belong in canada.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 05:05:55 AM »
mm69 what's the name of that game where air force boys put a cookie in a circle and jack off on it, the person to miss it has to eat it?

Lunch.  ;D