Author Topic: Does "Reverse" Racism Empower White People?  (Read 2853 times)

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
Does "Reverse" Racism Empower White People?
« on: April 15, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »
I guess with the recent firing of Imus and the seemingly huge prevalence of racial threads in this forum, I was wondering about this issue.

If a stupid person calls you stupid, should you care? Meanwhile, an over the hill shock jock nobody really cares about is now the MOST important aspect of that women's basketball team. It doesn't matter how far they get now with regards to their athleticism this year as in every breath they are spoken about, Imus will be brought up. I understand racism is a problem, but, if an over the hill black man called me a racial name, I wouldn't care. I do believe it would be wrong, but, I wouldn't make it the most important thing in my day.

Now I know it isn't the same thing as the long history of racial prejudice in North America and the world for that matter, however, maybe part of the problem isn't the racism, it is the attention and power it is seemingly given?

I understand there are extreme social injustices in the United States with regards to a lot of people, but, maybe instead of blaming it on racism (even if it is in part because of that) by maybe empowering themselves, maybe more overall progress could be made?

So I guess my question is, if black people like Al Sharpton were taken out of the picture and racism against black people was treated like the ignorance that it truly is, instead of the be all and end all to the problems people of color face, would there maybe be a chance for more equality?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Does "Reverse" Racism Empower White People?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 01:35:58 PM »
IMO, if Sharpton is gonna get pissed when Imus tries to be funny, he should call for Comedy Central to no longer air the South park episode where they use the N-word repeatedly.

For him to choose to go after someone who made fun of him - as Imus did - then outright say that he has no problem with Comedy Central because they are trying to be funny - that makes his little campaign look more like revenge/spite/payback than a legitimate concern.

You're either against racist comments, or you're not.  You don't only condemn those made by people you don't like.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »
IMO, if Sharpton is gonna get pissed when Imus tries to be funny, he should call for Comedy Central to no longer air the South park episode where they use the N-word repeatedly.

For him to choose to go after someone who made fun of him - as Imus did - then outright say that he has no problem with Comedy Central because they are trying to be funny - that makes his little campaign look more like revenge/spite/payback than a legitimate concern.

You're either against racist comments, or you're not.  You don't only condemn those made by people you don't like.

240, I appreciate your point, however, you have to also bear in mind South Park is a cartoon show depicting a fictitious situation. Imus' remarks were specifically directed at a specific group of people. Another difference is South Park hit the comedy bulleyes, while Imus missed his mark.

if you decided to play William Tell, and hit the apple dead on, no harm done,
...miss the mark by a few inches south and there will be hell to pay.
w

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »

I agree with you, there is a double standard. However, I just find that an old man like Imus who most of the white population probably couldn't care about (I mean I will be honest I only found out about him through this) shouldn't be given the kind of power some black people have given him.

I agree Imus' comments were stupid, but, why is he so stinking important? The way this has been treated nobody has come out on top. Even the poor girls caught in the middle have had their lives negatively affected while Sharpton pursued his "justice".

If they had treated it with less importance but, with some seriousness at the same time, I think things could have gone better.

To address your South Park comment. I truly believe that the guys involved in that show believe racism to be abhorrent so they make fun of it in an intelligent way. Nobody on the show looks smart while doing it.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 02:01:57 PM »
I believe what's happening here is a convergence of things fueling the interests of those involved.

1) The steady increase in bigotry across the American landscape
2) The lack of a sufficient reponse to Michael Richards rant
3) The desire to focus attention away from the growing scandals & debacles on the home front.

All these factors came together in a way that both Sharpton and the media seized on to get results that mutually benefitted them.

It's like when someone makes an anti-zionist remark. A lot of people starts seeing red flags and thow allegations of anti-semitism where none exists. It is an understandable kneejerk reaction on the part of those who are mindful of the fact that anti-semitism grew out of what was essentially anti-zionism. For others, it's simply a learned Pavlovian response.
w

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »
In case you idiots are just IDIOTS...It was not Al Sharpton that went after Imus for his comments. The radio station that employed him and MSNBC fired him before Al Sharpton and/or Jesse Jackson became involved. These two civil rights leaders brought attention to the systemic racism that caucasians have been using against people for decades and centuries...Only goes to show the world that nothing has changed with caucasians. BTW I find it funny how every caucasian is always trying to justify their actions after revealing their real nature....IF YOU ARE A RACIST THEN BE A RACIST, BUT DON'T BE UPSET OR SHOCKED FROM THE REPRERCUSSIONS OF YOUR ACTIONS.
C

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 02:28:54 PM »
In case you idiots are just IDIOTS...It was not Al Sharpton that went after Imus for his comments. The radio station that employed him and MSNBC fired him before Al Sharpton and/or Jesse Jackson became involved. These two civil rights leaders brought attention to the systemic racism that caucasians have been using against people for decades and centuries...Only goes to show the world that nothing has changed with caucasians. BTW I find it funny how every caucasian is always trying to justify their actions after revealing their real nature....IF YOU ARE A RACIST THEN BE A RACIST, BUT DON'T BE UPSET OR SHOCKED FROM THE REPRERCUSSIONS OF YOUR ACTIONS.

Angry much? A lot of us are just trying to understand things better. Maybe if you took a pill and relaxed you might contribute something positive to the board.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 02:30:27 PM »

Serious dude, he knows that comedy central will tell him to fuck off and how will that make him lok in his follower's eyes
gotta love life

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »
Serious dude, he knows that comedy central will tell him to fuck off and how will that make him lok in his follower's eyes

Parker & Stone demonstrate they take no prisoners. They are equal opportunity offenders.  ;D
w

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 02:36:18 PM »
I believe what's happening here is a convergence of things fueling the interests of those involved.

1) The steady increase in bigotry across the American landscape
2) The lack of a sufficient reponse to Michael Richards rant
3) The desire to focus attention away from the growing scandals & debacles on the home front.

All these factors came together in a way that both Sharpton and the media seized on to get results that mutually benefitted them.

It's like when someone makes an anti-zionist remark. A lot of people starts seeing red flags and thow allegations of anti-semitism where none exists. It is an understandable kneejerk reaction on the part of those who are mindful of the fact that anti-semitism grew out of what was essentially anti-zionism. For others, it's simply a learned Pavlovian response.

lack of response to Michael Richards??? This is just the attention that he is talking about. Why do you care if he throws around the N word as long as it isn't at you. That is why whites are different. Call me what you like, it just rolls off my back. Why can't blacks do the same? You have to keep racism alive don't you
gotta love life

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »
How many white people on here would go to a Chris Rock performance tonight and listen to his "whitey, cracker, honkey etc..." I sure as hell would. And I would be laughing my ass off to. How many blacks would go to a Michael Richards performance tonight? that's what I thought. Black skin must be thinner by genetics
gotta love life

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 02:42:59 PM »
How many white people on here would go to a Chris Rock performance tonight and listen to his "whitey, cracker, honkey etc..." I sure as hell would. And I would be laughing my ass off to. How many blacks would go to a Michael Richards performance tonight? that's what I thought. Black skin must be thinner by genetics

...or possibly 600 years of legislated subjugation?  :-\
w

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 02:43:52 PM »
...or possibly 600 years of legislated subjugation?  :-\

lol, hm mmm...can't let go can you..is their a point when it is time to change that?
gotta love life

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »
In case you idiots are just IDIOTS...It was not Al Sharpton that went after Imus for his comments. The radio station that employed him and MSNBC fired him before Al Sharpton and/or Jesse Jackson became involved.

WRONG.

He went on Sharpton's radio show for a 2 hour apology and was fired later in the week by MSNBC then CBS.

Please watch the news.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 02:51:44 PM »
WRONG.

He went on Sharpton's radio show for a 2 hour apology and was fired later in the week by MSNBC then CBS.

Please watch the news.

thanks for posting that, I was trying to find a time line...
gotta love life

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
I understand there are extreme social injustices in the United States with regards to a lot of people, but, maybe instead of blaming it on racism (even if it is in part because of that) by maybe empowering themselves, maybe more overall progress could be made?

So I guess my question is, if black people like Al Sharpton were taken out of the picture and racism against black people was treated like the ignorance that it truly is, instead of the be all and end all to the problems people of color face, would there maybe be a chance for more equality?

You nailed it! People like Sharpton regress the advancement of their own people by pulling the shenanigans they do..

America is the land of opportunity and anyone pocessing average intelligence and work ethic can strive for something. And if people bring up the issue of race, then why are certain immigrant groups who're more disenfranchised than blacks sucessful? It has not only to do with work ethic, but the culture. People like Sharpton poison the minds of the poor and uneducated black people and to a lesser degree apologist white folks.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 03:28:46 PM »
thanks for posting that, I was trying to find a time line...

i can't find the exact days.  he said it on wednesday, he apologized on friday.

then I think he went on sharpton the following mon or tuesday?

Then he was fired thurs from MSN then friday from CBS?

I could dig thru the posts but eh...

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 03:59:28 PM »
this whole situation is ridiculous
Valhalla awaits.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »
fact that anti-semitism grew out of what was essentially anti-zionism.
Wrong

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 04:45:31 PM »
Wrong

How so?  (I'm referring to modern anti-semitism aka 1920's germany)
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 07:06:54 PM »
In case you idiots are just IDIOTS...It was not Al Sharpton that went after Imus for his comments. The radio station that employed him and MSNBC fired him before Al Sharpton and/or Jesse Jackson became involved.

Sorry, boss.  I looked it up. 

Sharpton's campaign was a few days old.  On Thursday morning, he actually led a march to CBS headquarters and they marched out front.  Imus was fired later in the day.

body88

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 07:41:44 PM »

Tell that to the duke kids Sharpton and Jackson crucified based on the PROVEN LIES of a two bit whore. The assumed these kids where guilty based on the color of there skin. If you did not agree you are a racist! Sharpton and Jackson give honest African American people people a bad name. They have made several h inflamatory and racist remarks over the years. Both have blatent agendas. The people who do the most damge to African American women, are African American men. ESPECIALLY verbally. A young black women is a "trick" or a "hoe" these days. Just look at any top rap song/video  for proof. Fuck Colin Powell and college, fifty cent says slanging and banging is keeping it real. Im gonna grab my gat, murder some peeps n keep it real! Thats what is cool according to most the African American rappers the black youth look up to.

Stepped out the house, stopped short, oh no
I went back in, I forgot my indo
Then I dilly (dally) I ran through an (alley)
I bumped into this smoker named (Sally) from the (Valley)
This was a girl playin hard to get
So I said "What's wrong?" cuz she looked upset
She said um

It's all because of you, i'm feelin said and blue
You went away, now my life is filled with rainy days
I love you so, how much you'll never know
Cause you took your dope away from me
A-huh, a-huh, ahuh

Damn, now what was I to do
She's cryin over me and she was feelin blue
I said, "Um, don't cry, dry your eye
And here comes your mother with those two little guys"
Her mean mother steps then says to me "Hi!!"
Decked Sally in the face and punched her in the eye
Punched her in the belly and stepped on her feet
Slammed the child on the hard concrete
The bitch was strong, the kids was gone
Somethin was wrong I said, "What was goin on?"
I tried to break up, I said, "Stop it, just leave her!"
She said, "If I can't smoke none, she can't either!"
She grabbed my closely by my socks
So I broke the hell out, and I grabbed my sack of rocks
But um, they gave chase, they caught up quick
They started cryin on my shoes and grabbin my dick
and sayin....

Why don't you give me a play
So we can brake it down the Long Beach way
And if you give me that okay
I'll give you all my love today
Doggy, Doggy, Doggy, can't you see
Somehow your words just hypnotize me
And I just love your jazzy ways
Doggy Dogg, your love is here to stay

And on and on and on she kept goin
The bitch been around before my mother's born!
I said, "Cheer up!" so I gave her a hit
I said, "You can't have me, I'm too young for you bitch!"
She said, "No you're not," then she starts cryin
I says I'm nineteen, she says, "Stop lyin!"
I says, "I am, go ask my mother
And with your wrinkled pussy, I can't be your lover"
Yeah, uhh, tic toc you don't stop
And to the, ah tic toc and you don't quit
Yeah, tic toc and ya don't stop, and to the
ah tic toc and ya don't quit, beeeotch!

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 07:59:02 PM »
this whole situation is ridiculous

Yep.
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 09:43:51 PM »
Sharpton and Jackson give honest African American people people a bad name.

No they don't.  Colossus and Jag don't have a "bad name" because of Sharpton and Jackson.  I know plenty of African Americans and Halfrican Americans and they don't have a "bad name" because of Sharpton and Jackson.  I don't view Sharpton as any sort of representative of black folks, just like I don't believe someone like David Duke gives white folks a "bad name."