Author Topic: Boxer or UFC fighter? Mayweather says boxers would punish UFC champs!!  (Read 40038 times)

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
I would put my money on a UFC champ over any boxer, anyday.  I think a guy like Shawn Sherk would just bull rush mayweather, take him to the ground, and give him the ass whooping of his life  Thoughts??

Here's the article:        http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=dw-mayweather041807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns#headline

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
How old are you, son?

sandycoosworth

bodybuilder

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
Old enough to know that floyd mayweather couldnt do shit on the ground

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
rubbish,,,,,,, the pool of talent boxers go thru to reach the top makes ufc look totaly amature, and as if the boxers couldnt learn to fight ufc style... put tyson, manny pac, ricky hatton in against a ufc fighter the same weight and theyd kill them

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
I disagree.  I think it would take much longer to teach a boxer all the wrestling/ grappling skills these guys have than to teach a wreslter boxing skills. 

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
boxers are really good at one thing (boxing).
mma dudes are pretty good at a few things (standup, ground game, wrestling, etc).

all depends on the matchups. a shitty boxer would lose against a good mma guy, and vice versa.

but put the top boxer in the world vs the top mma dude in the world, i have a feeling the boxer would win 9/10 times.
Deep Tissue Massage

evolutnbatista

• Getbig II
lol Floyd is halarious..,, i can't believe he honestly thinks that he can take on Sherk. Dana White was right, Floyd is a one trick pony and if Sherk passes his stand-up then its game over.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
I just think that a ufc guy could instantly close the gap that a boxer needs to land a solid punch, then the boxer would be screwed.  In UFC, the ref doesnt break up the fighters when they tie up!!!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
the end of the day, men stand and trade blows, little puffs roll around the floor huggin each other!

donthate1

• Getbig II
Re: Boxer or UFC fighter? Mayweather says boxers would punish UFC champs!!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 12:45:52 PM »
That's some funny shit!  The UFC middle class fighters dominate boxing's elite! 

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »
I just dont get why some people think UFC or Pride fighters are middle class.  I think boxers are starting to get jealous cuz nobody fucking cares about boxing anymore.  Since lennox lewis, I have no idea who the boxing heavyweight champ even has been.  The gap between paydays for boxing and UFC will eventually close, then UFC will surpase boxing. 

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 12:53:17 PM »
boxings in the dumps because the heavyweights are shite,,, the lower weights are shit hot, such as the welters etc,, it comes round in circles, once theres a domminant heavyweight it'l be buisness as normal... i wouldnt pay money to watch growen men writhe round the floor with each other, and some of the stand up fighting in ufc is pathetic, seen better in pub car parks

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 12:56:32 PM »
there is this discussion at the MMA forum....
sorry, if you guys think the big chances are for the boxer guy, you guys dont have a clue...off course, it all comes down to strategy. If you will fight mike tyson, you will NOT trade punces with him, its just that obvios...
doing this, and 98% of the fights will be dominate by MMA guys (in a situation with only boxing fighters). When you dont have a clue of ground game and someone puts you there, you are f*cked
!

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 12:58:16 PM »
I agree that there are many poor standup fighters in the UFC.   The last fight with sanchez and koscheck was awful, all standup and no action, I wanted 15 minutes of my life back,  however I don't think that a guy like Matt Hughes or Randy Coutoure would get "punished" by any boxer.

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 01:02:14 PM »
This was settled in UFC 1 for frick sake. Royce Gracie PUNISHED Art Jimmerson. He tapped out at 2:18 in the first round, Gracie didn't even have a submission hold on him.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 01:06:56 PM »
This was settled in UFC 1 for frick sake. Royce Gracie PUNISHED Art Jimmerson. He tapped out at 2:18 in the first round, Gracie didn't even have a submission hold on him.

which one of his patented moves did hoyce use back then?  was it the hair pull, the kick to the balls, the grabbing of the adam's apple or the finger up the asshole?

i swear, that guy defined the ufc rules of conduct.
Deep Tissue Massage

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »
Ahh, so true.   Other than maurice smith, kickboxers have consistantly gotten their asses handed to them by guys who know how to fight on the ground.  Why would a fight between a UFC fighter and a boxer be that much different than a fight between a UFC fighter and a kickboxer????[

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 01:11:58 PM »
I would like to see a boxer deffend a takdown from Fedor or left highkick from CroCop...  ;D

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 01:14:26 PM »
Ahh, so true.   Other than maurice smith, kickboxers have consistantly gotten their asses handed to them by guys who know how to fight on the ground.  Why would a fight between a UFC fighter and a boxer be that much different than a fight between a UFC fighter and a kickboxer????[
Exactly, kickboxers use hands and feet, boxers use just hands. But, respect to Maurice Smith for his defeat of Mark Coleman way back in the day. Also, no shame in losing the title to Randy Couture.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 01:53:07 PM »
Where's that quote fromTom Prince about 600lbs of muscle?  ;D
HAHA, RON.....

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »
rubbish,,,,,,, the pool of talent boxers go thru to reach the top makes ufc look totaly amature, and as if the boxers couldnt learn to fight ufc style... put tyson, manny pac, ricky hatton in against a ufc fighter the same weight and theyd kill them

Vand would destroy Tyson. If you doubt this you are on serious drugs.  It's 420 and all but seriously, Tyson would get killed by Vand.  
\

the Pure Majestic

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »
Isn't this why the UFC was started?

To see what martial arts was best? 

Seems to me, I don't remember the boxers doing too well in the oringinal tourneys....

The fight would depend 100% on the rules. 
The reason they fight the way they do in the UFC, is that the tournaments dictated that type of style to be the most effective. 
If boxing dominated all the other forms of martial arts, then all the UFC guys would be boxing dominant, and there wouldn't be ground and pound, submissions, BJJ, etc., etc. 

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 02:18:59 PM »
Change the name to Ultimate Frisbee Championships and then maybe we can say they have some skill.

bigkubby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
THIS IS A FUCKEN STUPID THREAD, WHAT WOULD A BOXER DO IF HE WAS TACKELED TO THE GROUND OR SPRAWLED NOTHING HE WOULD BE LIKE A TURTLE ON HIS BACK.HANDS DOWN MMA OR BRAZILIAN JUJITSU BOXERS ARENT SHIT BUT BOXERS AND IN A STREET FIGHT 90 PERCENT OF FIGHTS END UP ON THE GROUND MY POINT EXACTLY.
i