Author Topic: grapefruit to lower insulin  (Read 4830 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
grapefruit to lower insulin
« on: April 21, 2007, 11:09:22 AM »
"It's no myth: Grapefruit could be a weight loss aid. In a 12-week study from the Journal of Medicinal Food, people who ate half a grapefruit three times a day (before each meal) lost an average of 3.6 pounds. Researchers believe grapefruit may lower insulin, a fat storage hormone."

Is this true, and does grapefruit juice have the same effect as a real grapefruit?

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
Re: grapefruit to lower insulin
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:13:18 AM »
"It's no myth: Grapefruit could be a weight loss aid. In a 12-week study from the Journal of Medicinal Food, people who ate half a grapefruit three times a day (before each meal) lost an average of 3.6 pounds. Researchers believe grapefruit may lower insulin, a fat storage hormone."

Is this true, and does grapefruit juice have the same effect as a real grapefruit?

I have seen quite a few bb diets which include grapefruit for breakfast along with oats and egg whites. Its probably the most citric acid filled fruit there is and maybe that impacts weight loss?

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:06:16 PM »
I don't know about insulin responses and such, but there has been a diet based on a piece of grapefruit in the morning to help in losing weight.  I think it was decided (not proven, much of science is actually decided on) that the effect was probably because the acidity of the fruit made you feel very full, so you ate less.  In the long run, the weight loss clinical studies had some replication problems and I think a meta-analysis (the effect from the grapefruit, averaged out in a way over several studies) ended up being a wash.  I don't know about grapefruit juice; some of them add a lot of sugar.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
Hmm. I have half a grapefruit daily, and I'm still unripped, so chalk one up in nay column.  :)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »

why not just eat less and start exercising? maybe then you can work your way back up to your old max of 225 for 3 reps
Here comes the money shot

bigkubby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 12:23:39 PM »
Hmm. I have half a grapefruit daily, and I'm still unripped, so chalk one up in nay column.  :)
so get your fat ass on the treadmill.lmao
i

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:37:17 PM »
Why would you want to lower your slin levels? Isn't it one of the most anabolic hormones?

It's also a fat-storage hormone, plus it can lead to all sorts of long-term health problems if it's constantly elevated.

You want your insulin jacked once a day...  immediately after exercise.   (or twice a day if you exercise twice a day)
Ron: "I am lazy."

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:13 PM »
i cant concentrate...your avatar is distracting

Your lack of concentration sickens me!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:09:54 PM »
You want your insulin jacked once a day...  immediately after exercise.   (or twice a day if you exercise twice a day)

any more good sources/links on this topic?  I am dieting of course, and have pretty much cut out all junk.  It's a huge void, all that sugar.  Now I hear there is a time of the day where I want it?

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 01:22:32 PM »
any more good sources/links on this topic?  I am dieting of course, and have pretty much cut out all junk.  It's a huge void, all that sugar.  Now I hear there is a time of the day where I want it?

you dont have to cut all of your junk food. just cut the sugars. im loosing fat eating whopper, big king's and eggs.  Ive stoped drinking all sugar''ed drinks like coca cola and sugar in coffee. and last but not least. ive almost stopped drinking milk in my proteinshake. at first proteinshake tastes like shit with water, but you have to master the trick of adding 2 ice cube's in the mix. its great 240. that alone should make you loose fat very well.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 01:24:02 PM »

you dont have to cut all of your junk food. just cut the sugars. im loosing fat eating whopper, big king's and eggs.  Ive stoped drinking all sugar''ed drinks like coca cola and sugar in coffee. and last but not least. ive almost stopped drinking milk in my proteinshake. at first proteinshake tastes like shit with water, but you have to master the trick of adding 2 ice cube's in the mix. its great 240. that alone should make you loose fat very well.

you have 6 lbs of muscle on your whole frame.
Deep Tissue Massage

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
you have 6 lbs of muscle on your whole frame.
thats still 5 lbs more muscle  than you my friend :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 01:26:43 PM »

I have the cookies n creme whey from ON.  I just mix 2 scoops with ice cold water, 3-4 times a day, and just slam it in 15 or 20 gulps.  

I don't know how to get enough calories.  healthy food really doesn't have many.  Sugar is gone - only drinks are diet soda a few times, and crystal lite and water nonstop.  As I work at home, I am probably eating 8 to 10 little meals each day.  Only a few days in, so I know I'll have more Qs. thanks

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 01:29:26 PM »
I have the cookies n creme whey from ON.  I just mix 2 scoops with ice cold water, 3-4 times a day, and just slam it in 15 or 20 gulps. 

I don't know how to get enough calories.  healthy food really doesn't have many.  Sugar is gone - only drinks are diet soda a few times, and crystal lite and water nonstop.  As I work at home, I am probably eating 8 to 10 little meals each day.  Only a few days in, so I know I'll have more Qs. thanks

just add more of what you like eating.  once your metabolism picks up, you'll be hungrier more often.  at least that's what happens to me.  are you taking an eca or some other kind of appetite suppresant?
Deep Tissue Massage

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
I have the cookies n creme whey from ON.  I just mix 2 scoops with ice cold water, 3-4 times a day, and just slam it in 15 or 20 gulps.  

I don't know how to get enough calories.  healthy food really doesn't have many.  Sugar is gone - only drinks are diet soda a few times, and crystal lite and water nonstop.  As I work at home, I am probably eating 8 to 10 little meals each day.  Only a few days in, so I know I'll have more Qs. thanks

2 scoops thats something like 55 gram of protein X 4 times= 220 grams of protein only from shakes. you dont need that much, you dont juice, thats overkill in protein, if you eat more protein meals on top of that. the body cant even use 55 grams at once. i bet 10 grams of that protein will turn into fat. i never take more then 1 or one and a half scoups at once.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 01:48:33 PM »
It's also a fat-storage hormone, plus it can lead to all sorts of long-term health problems if it's constantly elevated.

You want your insulin jacked once a day...  immediately after exercise.   (or twice a day if you exercise twice a day)

Remember that arguement I had last week with gh15 and a few others about the over production of insulin and not burning fat :-\?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:52 PM »
Remember that arguement I had last week with gh15 and a few others about the over production of insulin and not burning fat :-\?
You didn't prove that ephedrine makes you "overproduce" insulin. Overproduction of insulin comes from eating too damn much.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 01:55:42 PM »
You didn't prove that ephedrine makes you "overproduce" insulin. Overproduction of insulin comes from eating too damn much.

That too, stimulants will only add to it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 01:59:51 PM »
Which is why I said lots stimulants when bulking might be a bad idea. In diet mode that's not a problem.

Another thing that's sort of tangential: funny how caffeine as in coffee lowers the incidence of type II diabetes. You'd expect it to do the opposite, but no. The more coffee you drink the less of a chance you have of going severely insulin resistant.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 02:07:48 PM »

It's "lose" not "loose"

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »

It's "lose" not "loose"

it could be worse, lee priest woorsse

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »

Yeah... that's why stimulant addicts are all fat, right Joe?  ::)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 02:33:36 PM »

Yeah... that's why stimulant addicts are all fat, right Joe?  ::)
Haha, exactly.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 02:37:27 PM »
i'm taking ECA. 

holy crap, i have veins popping out of my forearms after 3 days.

this stuff seriously works.  I also radically changed diet  -  going from 'watching what i eat, avoid soda, and try to get a lot of protein' to a big pile of bodybuilder foods all day long. 

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 02:47:16 PM »
I am probably eating 8 to 10 little meals each day.

bro, for starters, you ain't eating enough meals.  you should be eating 18-20 meals per day.  ideally, you should eat a meal every 72 minutes.