Author Topic: Professor axed for VT stunt: Re-enacted tragedy to tout pro-gun perspective  (Read 582 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=195909

By Casey Ross
Boston Herald Reporter
Saturday, April 21, 2007 - Updated: 01:00 PM EST

An Emmanuel College professor has been fired after re-enacting the Virginia Tech massacre in his classroom in order to air a pro-gun viewpoint that offended students at the Catholic liberal arts school, the professor charged yesterday.
     Nicholas Winset said he was terminated and permanently barred from campus following a Wednesday lecture in which he dramatized the massacre to show that deranged gunman Cho Seung-Hui could have been stopped if another student had been carrying a gun.
     “If there were more guns in society, the response time to the (rampage) might have been much faster,” said Winset, an adjunct professor of financial accounting. “Someone might have been able to do something to stop it.”
     In an interview yesterday, Winset also decried media coverage of the massacre, saying, “Just because everyone is portraying this as the national tragedy of the year doesn’t mean it is. More people died of AIDS today” than in the massacre, he said.
     Administrators at the college apparently did not appreciate Winset’s classroom message. They quickly fired him via a one-page letter delivered by courier yesterday.
     “You are hereby directed not to enter the College campus or any College owned property at any time for any reason,” the letter states. “Also enclosed . . .is the Commonwealth of Massachusetts form, How to File for Unemployment Insurance Benefits.”
     A spokeswoman for Emmanuel College, Molly Honan, would not give the college’s rationale for firing Winset. She said the school’s policy is not to comment on personnel issues.
     Winset, 37, of Newton called the college’s decision to fire him “pathetic,” and said it will have a “chilling effect” on professors’ willingness to engage in open discussions about controversial issues.
     “A classroom is supposed to be a place for academic exploration,” he said. “It’s just gotten so politically correct. It’s sad that we have come to this point.”
     Winset said he gave students a disclaimer before he started his Virginia Tech re-enactment, which involved him pointing a Magic Marker at students and saying, “Pow.” He then had another student shoot him with an imaginary gun to make the point that Cho could have been stopped by another student with a firearm.
     Winset said the skit was meant to be a somewhat tenuous segue into an assignment asking students to examine whether the massacre has had an impact on the financial markets, which have remained healthy in tragedy’s aftermath. He said he wanted students to see that intense media focus on a story does not always mean it has the same relevance to the markets or to society in general.”

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Nicholas Winset said he was terminated and permanently barred from campus following a Wednesday lecture in which he dramatized the massacre to show that deranged gunman Cho Seung-Hui could have been stopped if another student had been carrying a gun.
     “If there were more guns in society, the response time to the (rampage) might have been much faster,” said Winset, an adjunct professor of financial accounting. “Someone might have been able to do something to stop it.”

He does have a very good point.. I think you're allowed to carry concealed in virginia, no?

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
I think allowing college students to walk around campus carrying concealed weapons is INSANE. We're talking about 18-22 year olds, do you really want them carrying high powered and hidden weapons? No thanks.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
This is a firing that rightly should cause more of a fuss than Imus'.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I think allowing college students to walk around campus carrying concealed weapons is INSANE. We're talking about 18-22 year olds, do you really want them carrying high powered and hidden weapons? No thanks.

No.

In any state, you can only get a permit when you are 21, have received ample training, shown you can use it, and have demonstrated a clear understanding of the law.

If the wind blows your shir tup and the gun shows, you can get a year in jail.  If you drop it, more time.

it's freakin' serious, and by the time your permit arrives, you know your 790 laws (the number in my state).

There were kids in that class that were way older.  One kid was a 30 year old senior.  I'm 30.  Hell, I've carried my gun since I turned 21.  There *are* responsible 21 year olds.  And those who let their emotions get the best of them, and do make mistakes, should be locked up for hard time, and their stories covered well so that everyone knows you screw up a little, you do a lot of time.