Author Topic: Impeach Bush, says Vermont Senate  (Read 1259 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Impeach Bush, says Vermont Senate
« on: April 21, 2007, 12:18:34 PM »
What a bunch of idiots.   ::)

Impeach Bush, says Vermont Senate
By Jonathan Saltzman, Globe Staff  |  April 21, 2007

Declaring that the Bush administration's actions in foreign and domestic affairs raise "serious questions of constitutionality," Vermont state senators voted yesterday to call for the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney in what officials say was the first such vote by state lawmakers in the country.

Without debate, the Democratic-controlled Senate voted 16 to 9 in favor of the nonbinding resolution, which urges US Representative Peter Welch, a Democrat, to introduce a resolution in the House of Representatives to initiate impeachment proceedings.

Vermont's congressional delegation, which includes Welch and Senators Patrick Leahy and Bernie Sanders, promptly rejected the call.

They issued a statement saying that the three shared the anger of many Vermonters with the Bush administration, "one of the worst and most destructive in American history."

But, they said that, for the first time since Bush took office, Congress is investigating several of the administration's key actions, ranging from the decision to invade Iraq to the recent firings of eight US attorneys.

"Before we talk about impeachment, it is imperative that these investigations be allowed to run their course, and we should then follow wherever the facts lead," the delegation said.

In the Vermont Senate vote, 16 Democrats supported the resolution and three Democrats joined six Republicans in opposing the question.

"There is no president and vice president of the United States, in my judgment, who have worked harder to earn impeachment hearings than these two," Senate President Pro Tem Peter Shumlin, who orchestrated the vote, said later.

"They lied about the war in Iraq. They lied about the weapons of mass destruction. They lied about Saddam's involvement in 9/11. And the list goes on and on."

The toll of the war on rural Vermont has been particularly harsh. By late February, the state had the highest per capita rate of Iraq war deaths, with 18 residents killed in a state with a population of 624,000.

"Everybody knows somebody who has either died or lost a family member or whose mother or father has been gone for too long" fighting in Iraq, said Ian Carleton, chairman of the state Democratic Party.

Leaders of the party voted last year and last month for similar symbolic measures, Carleton said.

Also, similar nonbinding resolutions favoring impeachment passed in more than three dozen communities at town meetings last month.

Bush's impeachable offenses go beyond the decision to invade Iraq, Carleton said, and include the federal response to Hurricane Katrina, unauthorized domestic wiretapping, and the treatment of prisoners in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The resolution was voted on in haste partly because the legislative session is going to end in two weeks, Shumlin said.

A similar impeachment resolution has been introduced in the House but remains bottled up in a committee.

In addition, Lieutenant Governor Brian Dubie, a Republican who presides over the Senate and probably would have prevented a vote, was with his 18-year-old son visiting Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif.

"This was nothing I knew about before I left," Dubie said from California.

He said he was not angry, but as with any controversial measure, he would have referred the resolution to a committee for study, which would have almost certainly thwarted a vote this session. He also said he supports the president's policy in Iraq.

Dubie is a pilot for American Airlines and was friends with John Ogonowski of Dracut, the pilot of American Airlines Flight 11, which crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center. Dubie, a colonel in the Air Force Reserve, visited ground zero three days later when Bush toured the site.

"I looked into his eyes then," he said. "I know where our president is coming from, and I support our president. It's really that simple for me."

Summer Johnson, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee, said in a statement that the Vermont Senate has the wrong priorities and instead should urge the Democratic-controlled Congress "to stop treating our troops in harm's way like a political football" and pass the president's budget bill for the war.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/04/21/impeach_bush_says_vermont_senate/

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Impeach Bush, says Vermont Senate
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 12:21:07 PM »
AHAAHHAHHAhahhahahahhahh a.... why are you calling them idiots!!! You've got to be kidding me at this point!  Come on, the  man has dwarfed any wrongdoing by Nixon.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:23:39 PM »
AHAAHHAHHAhahhahahahhahha.... why are you calling them idiots!!! You've got to be kidding me at this point!  Come on, the  man has dwarfed any wrongdoing by Nixon.

I have to run, but here are two reasons:

1.  Congress endorsed the war after it started.  How stupid does that make this resolution? 

2.  "Without debate, the Democratic-controlled Senate voted 16 to 9 in favor of the nonbinding resolution, which urges US Representative Peter Welch, a Democrat, to introduce a resolution in the House of Representatives to initiate impeachment proceedings."  How do you pass an impeachment resolution without debate?!?!?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:43:44 PM »
I have to run, but here are two reasons:

1.  Congress endorsed the war after it started.  How stupid does that make this resolution? 

2.  "Without debate, the Democratic-controlled Senate voted 16 to 9 in favor of the nonbinding resolution, which urges US Representative Peter Welch, a Democrat, to introduce a resolution in the House of Representatives to initiate impeachment proceedings."  How do you pass an impeachment resolution without debate?!?!?

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

2.  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 03:46:30 PM »
Beach Bum had a rough week.  His sweetheart Alberto took a beating.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 05:53:28 PM »
1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

1. based on Bush's lies.

2.  ;D

And Hillary, Ted Kennedy, Gore, Bill, etc., etc.    :)  Also, this was a partisan vote. 

Dummies. 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 06:59:57 PM »
Vermont? Suprise....let me know when a non-whacko state calls for it.
gotta love life

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
And Hillary, Ted Kennedy, Gore, Bill, etc., etc.    :)  Also, this was a partisan vote. 

Dummies. 
::)  What part in the timeline are you not getting because the simple part where they based their decisions to go to war on lies pulled out of the fake intelligence agency they created at the pentagon to bypass the CIA's assessments should play a role in GETTING THAT FACT THAT THEY WERE FUCKING LIED TO THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL!!!!!! ;D LOL  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
::)  What part in the timeline are you not getting because the simple part where they based their decisions to go to war on lies pulled out of the fake intelligence agency they created at the pentagon to bypass the CIA's assessments should play a role in GETTING THAT FACT THAT THEY WERE FUCKING LIED TO THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL!!!!!! ;D LOL  ;)

My thick skull if full of all the "lies" those darn Democrats told me BEFORE and AFTER Bush took office.  A sample:

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998.

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998.

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
    Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998.

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
    Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
    Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998.

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998.

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
    Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999.

"There is no doubt that . Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, Dec, 5, 2001.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 10:44:03 PM »
This should be interesting....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 12:27:14 AM »
Vermont? Suprise....let me know when a non-whacko state calls for it.

You can't label an entire state as wacko.

We could probably find large groups in all 50 states which would also call for his impeachment.  All 50 states are wacko, or none are.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 07:07:29 AM »
You can't label an entire state as wacko.

We could probably find large groups in all 50 states which would also call for his impeachment.  All 50 states are wacko, or none are.

What about Utah? Can we label Utah as wacko?   ;D

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:12:53 AM »
AHAAHHAHHAhahhahahahhahha.... why are you calling them idiots!!! You've got to be kidding me at this point!  Come on, the  man has dwarfed any wrongdoing by Nixon.

True.....but that would leave us w/ Cheney as president.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

vinnydountsnyc

• Getbig III
  • ''Billy is border line retarded'' Colette Nelson
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 07:16:58 AM »
I THOUGHT Cheney Was president
911 INSIDE JOB !

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 09:47:51 AM »
What about Utah? Can we label Utah as wacko?   ;D

I forgot about Utah, but that proves 240s point, most of Utah is fine, but then you have the rest like Ribo
gotta love life