Author Topic: Current News and Resources for all active US Wars Updated 04/28/07  (Read 1835 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
This will be the total information thread for the Iraq and other US led conflicts around the globe.  Post all the news and commentary good or bad that you want and I'll index posted news and information in this post.  PM me with any additional items you want included in this first post.  All views across the political spectrum are welcome so if you don't want this thread to be bias one way, it's up to you to submit material for the thread.  Now that's fair and balanced.  On news items post a portion of the story and link to the site for the entire story.  You can talk about individual issues of the Iraq war here or grab it and start a new thread. The post image links to a discussion or relevent post to the topic.

News and Commentary:

Resources:

multimedia:

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: The Iraq War News and Resource Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:34:05 PM »
Continued...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »
Dems reluctant to oppose Iraq funding

By Anne Flaherty, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Anti-war liberals worried about party unity are reluctant to mount opposition to war spending legislation in the House even if it does not set a firm date for troop withdrawal.
Their support would pave the way for Democratic leaders next week to send President Bush a bill that would fund the Iraq war and still call for troops to leave by March 31, 2008, albeit a non-binding withdrawal date.

The measure would be weaker than House Democrats wanted but is advocated by the Senate, where Democrats hold a slimmer majority and many party members oppose setting a firm timetable on the war.

Rather than let the bill sink, "we want to get it to the president and let him veto it," said Rep. Diane Watson, D-Calif., a party liberal who opposes funding the war at all.

In the Senate, the debate on the war grew sharper Thursday when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said the war had been lost and that Bush's troop buildup is not stemming violence in Iraq. That statement prompted Republicans to declare that Democrats don't support the troops in Iraq.

cont... http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-04-20-us-iraq_N.htm

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:37:11 PM »
Training Iraqi troops no longer driving force in U.S. policy

Military planners have abandoned the idea that standing up Iraqi troops will enable American soldiers to start coming home soon and now believe that U.S. troops will have to defeat the insurgents and secure control of troubled provinces.

Training Iraqi troops, which had been the cornerstone of the Bush administration’s Iraq policy since 2005, has dropped in priority, officials in Baghdad and Washington said.

cont...http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/17104704.htm

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:24:23 AM »
On Bill Mauer this evening - he mentioned that the VTech shooting got so much coverage that Americans didn't realize that they completely stopped the Iraqi military/police training program.

Is this true?  Can anyone confirm/deny?  Before any military folks say "well this week I...", does anyone have a link to any news on a sweeping policy change this week which would possibly destroy any chance of them managing their own cities.  Thanks!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 12:41:53 AM »
On Bill Mauer this evening - he mentioned that the VTech shooting got so much coverage that Americans didn't realize that they completely stopped the Iraqi military/police training program.

Is this true?  Can anyone confirm/deny?  Before any military folks say "well this week I...", does anyone have a link to any news on a sweeping policy change this week which would possibly destroy any chance of them managing their own cities.  Thanks!
Confirmed...

New phase seen in U.S. training of Iraqi troops
Americans, not new national forces, will have to defeat the rebels, officials say.

WASHINGTON -- Military planners have abandoned the idea that standing up Iraqi troops will enable American soldiers to start coming home soon and now believe that U.S. troops will have to defeat the insurgents and secure control of troubled provinces.

cont... http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/158195.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 12:52:31 AM »
Berserker, this is a huge story.

This completely removes an option for US forces.  After training them for over two years, we suddenly abandon it?  Perhaps the biggest story of 2007 so far in this war. 

Now, it's either
   A) The US stays for years until every bad guy is gone.
   B) We pull out and power vacuum becomes terrorville.

Why would they remove this option?  Did it fail that much?
What will be the fallout?  Are the generals upset?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 01:05:12 AM »
Berserker, this is a huge story.

This completely removes an option for US forces.  After training them for over two years, we suddenly abandon it?  Perhaps the biggest story of 2007 so far in this war. 

Now, it's either
   A) The US stays for years until every bad guy is gone.
   B) We pull out and power vacuum becomes terrorville.

Why would they remove this option?  Did it fail that much?
What will be the fallout?  Are the generals upset?
Pretty interesting there isn't much in the media on such a giant development... hmmmm... looks like Bill Maher is right, they're back to their old ways.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 02:11:55 AM »
Experts: Force increases may not be enough

Marine Corps Times

“If the United States is going to have a significant component of its ground forces in Iraq over the next five, 10, 15 or 30 years, then the responsible course is for the president and those supporting this open-ended and escalated presence in Iraq to call for reinstating the draft.”

cont... http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2007/04/military_groundforces_draft_070417w/

sandycoosworth

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 05:48:40 AM »
also when adding links in the rest of this thread you should also add them to the first post cause thats what most people will see
that's what i'm doing, thanks.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 07:17:52 AM »
are there other threads for agfan and iran ... they are all part of the same conflict and i have material for those

the taliban/pakistan link is something everyone here needs to understand, as is the importance of the afgan drug trade and the pipeline

as for iran, i think it would be cool to document the buildup to war ... what were hearing now is like a toned down version of the iraq buildup ... which leads me to believe the was is not imminent, or its already happening covertly

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:34:45 AM »
is there other threads for agfan and iran ... they are all part of the same conflict and i have material for those

the taliban/pakistan link is something everyone here needs desperately understand, as is the importance of the afgan drug trade and the pipeline

as for iran, i think it would be cool to document the buildup to war ... what were hearing now is like a toned down version of the iraq buildup ... which leads me to believe the was is not imminent, or its already happening covertly
I'll figure something out tonight.  Probably just make this the thread for everything "war on terror" related or something like that...  war on terror... what a bogus concept, ya, that's what we're doing ::)

sandycoosworth

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 07:43:40 AM »
how baout The War on Terror aka 21 Century Imperial/Resource Conflict Thread

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 08:14:35 AM »
No, how about going with what Bush said the war should have been named: "The Struggle Against Ideological Extremists who do not Believe in Free Societies and who happen to use Terror as a Weapon to try to Shake the Conscience of the Free World." or The T.S.A.I.E.B.F.S.T.W.S.C. W War for short :D

"We actually misnamed the war on terror. It ought to be called: the struggle against ideological extremists who do not believe in free societies and who happen to use terror as a weapon to try to shake the conscience of the free world."--GW Bush

sandycoosworth

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »
"they attacked us cause we are the brightest beacon for freedom in the world"

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Current News and Resources for all active US Wars
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »
thread fixed, you can submit material on all active us wars and I'll include links in the first post.