Author Topic: The NFL draft thread  (Read 7037 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
The NFL draft thread
« on: April 23, 2007, 06:43:36 AM »
Well,since it seems that body88 is slacking ;D

I'm a Giants fan.
I'd be happy with
Paul Poslusny,lb,Penn state
Joe Staley,OT,Central Michigan
both huge needs.

the player I REALLY want is Reggie Nelson,safety,Florida.
I think he's got a shot to be a Bob Sanders like player
I hope he falls to us at 20 and the Giants make the pick!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Re: The NFL draft thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:52:21 AM »
As a Eagles fan, we have gotten used to picking at the bottom half of the draft... ;D

Needs this draft ad S and CB

I would love Nelson from Florida but ain't gonna happen. More likely Griffen from Texas.

At CB there are a bunch of so so middle 1st round corners so depending on the run that will happen I think you could still get a good one in the 2nd round.

I also like Timmons from Florida state at LB this years Demarco Ryans.

I would like to get Leonard from Rutgers at FB/HB in the second round.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
The 9ers trade their 1st round and 3 4th round pick to the Raiders! Here comes Johnson!

I wish. :'(

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »
Im a raiders fan,...shop moss for a 1st and 2nd rd pick...russel and a d end would be cool for me.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:21:12 PM »
Im a raiders fan,...shop moss for a 1st and 2nd rd pick...russel and a d end would be cool for me.
Moss is NO LONGER worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. Given his age and last 2 years performance, they would be lucky to get a 4th rounder out of him.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 08:55:08 PM »
I would love to see my steelers take one of the two hometown kids that I watched play high school football like Darrelle Revis or Paul Poslusny

they were awesome high school players, both came form the same hometown and both led their teams to state championships but i never imagined they would be first round caliber

E
E

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 09:57:43 PM »
Moss is NO LONGER worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. Given his age and last 2 years performance, they would be lucky to get a 4th rounder out of him.

I agree they would almost have to give him away
DAWG

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 06:14:13 AM »
Does anybody think the raiders won't pull the lever on russell?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:43:40 AM »

i swear. if not...im not gonna be a raiders fan no more. They got rid of 2 ends the other day and freed up 1.6 more in cap room...i really think they are goin for russell...he is a raider type of guy...our defense is solid...sapp had a monster year last season 10 sacks from the d tackle and playing from behind (so teams really didnt have to pass much). and our secondary is pretty solid.. we just need a sound offence...i see us goin 5-11 next season and then the year after that its 9-7...with the 2nd year qb

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:05:17 AM »

On ESPN this they said the Raiders are going to try to get Trent Green or Culpepper
before the draft,this way they can take Calvin Johnson.

body88

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:54:34 AM »
On ESPN this they said the Raiders are going to try to get Trent Green or Culpepper
before the draft,this way they can take Calvin Johnson.

Trent Greene is being traded to Miami.  Culpepper is a injury machine, and with Oaklands offensive line he would be a huge step back for the organization imo.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:00:05 AM »
Me I would trade back a couple of spots and let someone pick up johnson and get another top second rounder for it. I think they need more then just one. Plus if russell is gone I think Quinn will be hungrey to prove he is the man and is a solid pick up.

body88

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:25:50 AM »
Me I would trade back a couple of spots and let someone pick up johnson and get another top second rounder for it. I think they need more then just one. Plus if russell is gone I think Quinn will be hungrey to prove he is the man and is a solid pick up.

I dont see that happening for a couple reasons. Outside of the bucks any team who would want johnson would have to give up the farm in draft picks to make is worth Oaklands while to trade down. Even the bucks would have to surrender there 4th pick overall and 2 second rounders to make the value equal. Especially with Al Davis at the helm. The guy wanted a first rounder for Randy Moss this year. Dropping any lower then the bucks would run you the risk of not getting Brady, Jamarcus or Calvin. Detroit could use a QB, and Cleveland needs a QB. They would shit there pants if Jamarcus was on the board when they pick.To risky imo. Russel and Quinn could very well go to both those teams after The bucks took Johnson with the 1st. Oakland could go after a drew Stanton type in the second round, but any team who would be willing to trade up with them from the 5th pick on, would have to give up half there draft in picks to move up to number 1. There is also a huge contract requirement at number 1.

I think a more likley scenario would be Oakland taking Johnson with the first pick, then getting A drew Stanton with the first pick in the second round. They would need to sign a vet qb to do this. Culpepper is to injury prone. With Oaklans offensive line, I think signing a guy like Culpepper would be crazy. But Al is crazy, so I dont rule out anything.

There is a rumor the raiders want Matt Cassel (Bradys backup).

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:44:24 AM »
I dont see that happening for a couple reasons. Outside of the bucks any team who would want johnson would have to give up the farm in draft picks to make is worth Oaklands while to trade down. Even the bucks would have to surrender there 4th pick overall and 2 second rounders to make the value equal. Especially with Al Davis at the helm. The guy wanted a first rounder for Randy Moss this year. Dropping any lower then the bucks would run you the risk of not getting Brady, Jamarcus or Calvin. Detroit could use a QB, and Cleveland needs a QB. To risky imo. Russel and Quinn could very well go to both those teams after The bucks took Johnson with the 1st. Oakland could go after a drew Stanton type in the second round, but any team who would be willing to trade up with them from the 5th pick on, would have to give up half there draft in picks to move up to number 1. There is also a huge contract requirement at number 1.

I think a more likley scenario would be Oakland taking Johnson with the first pick, then getting A drew Stanton with the first pick in the second round. They would need to sign a vet qb to do this. Culpepper is to injury prone. With Oaklans offensive line, I think signing a guy like Culpepper would be crazy. But Al is crazy, so I dont rule out anything.

With a line as poures as the raiders that last thing I would think they would want is a rookie QB. They already have two good WR's and 2 RB's they should understand that every year it's the same thing. Hype up the players but in reality its 50-50 on busts. Russell may be good but everybody thought the same of culpepper/smith/leaf/ect ect ect. I think its better to build from the O line and D line out. QB's should only be brought in when the line is good and they have veteran leadership to help them transfer to the position. A couple of years ago Robert Gallery was the next Orlando pace and now he sucks. Every year it's the same thing.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 08:57:12 AM »
With a line as poures as the raiders that last thing I would think they would want is a rookie QB. They already have two good WR's and 2 RB's they should understand that every year it's the same thing. Hype up the players but in reality its 50-50 on busts. Russell may be good but everybody thought the same of culpepper/smith/leaf/ect ect ect. I think its better to build from the O line and D line out. QB's should only be brought in when the line is good and they have veteran leadership to help them transfer to the position. A couple of years ago Robert Gallery was the next Orlando pace and now he sucks. Every year it's the same thing.

The only safe bet in the nfl draft are safties imo. With QB's, I would like to take a proven free agent back up...He is just abot the same as a rookie but he has been in the leauge for 2-3 years and he know the ropes somewhat. And you get him for a lot cheaper. Wide outs arent safe pics no more (detroit lions and atlanta falcons can attest to that). Line men are the same way with me. I would get a proven vet in free agency. Or i would draft with the plan to keep the lineman on the bench for the first year or 2 or have him in the backup capacity. I agree with the notion that a team starts with the o and d line but i just wouldnt get them as rookies. Let someone else test them out. Its a crap shoot. But if i were a gm i would trade picks for players like crazy. The last raiders team to go to a sb  was made up of free agent picks at every number one position. If kiffen runs the same offense as at SC the raiders need WRS that strecth the field. And a couple of bookend tackles. And a heady qb. All can be traded for or aquired in free agency. i would have liked to see jake plummer with moss & porter.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »
I dont see that happening for a couple reasons. Outside of the bucks any team who would want johnson would have to give up the farm in draft picks to make is worth Oaklands while to trade down. Even the bucks would have to surrender there 4th pick overall and 2 second rounders to make the value equal. Especially with Al Davis at the helm. The guy wanted a first rounder for Randy Moss this year. Dropping any lower then the bucks would run you the risk of not getting Brady, Jamarcus or Calvin. Detroit could use a QB, and Cleveland needs a QB. They would shit there pants if Jamarcus was on the board when they pick.To risky imo. Russel and Quinn could very well go to both those teams after The bucks took Johnson with the 1st. Oakland could go after a drew Stanton type in the second round, but any team who would be willing to trade up with them from the 5th pick on, would have to give up half there draft in picks to move up to number 1. There is also a huge contract requirement at number 1.

Hahaha,epic long winded nfl draft meltdown ;D ;D ;D
who do you want on tha Pats?

body88

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 09:29:52 AM »
Haha! Sorry for the long winded post! Just how I see the situation  ;) Since the pats draft best player available I dont really know who they will take. I would be happy if they picked with the 24th, then traded down the 28th for two second rounders. Or a 2007 second and a 2008 1st rounder. They have ten picks, so it is likley they trade down one of the two first rounders. Here is a big board I like.

These are the prospects that I am targeting for the Pats on Saturday. The higher the player, the higher he would be taken. With the exception of the olb/de's. The first three could all be taken in the first round or high second if they trade one of the pics down.

ILB
Patrick Willis, Ole Miss
David Harris, Michigan
Zak DeOssie, Brown       
Jon Abbate, Wake Forest
Desmond Bishop, Cal

OLB /Includes smaller DE's that can be converted in the 3/4

Paul Posluzsny, Penn State
Lamar Woodley, Michigan     
Anthony Spencer, Purdue
Tim Shaw, Penn State         
Dallas Sartz, USC                 

DE
Adam Carriker, Nebraska    1st round

S
Reggie Nelson, Florida
Brandon Meriweather, Miami
Michael Griffin, Texas
Josh Gattis, Wake Forest             
Eric Weddle, Utah
Sabby Piscitelli, Oregon State
Will Herring, Auburn

CB
Aaron Ross, Texas
Daymeion Hughes, Cal
Josh Wilson, Maryland         
AJ Davis, NC State
John Talley, Duke
David Irons, Auburn

WR
Jason Hill, Washington State
Chris Davis, Florida State
Chansi Stuckey, Clemson          4th - 7th round
David Clowney, VT
Rhema McKnight, Notre Dame
David Ball, New Hampshire

RB
Tony Hunt, Penn State
Lorenzo Booker, Florida state
Darius Walker, Notre Dame
Brian Leonard, Rutgers                   3rd to 7th round
Garrett Wolfe, Northern Illinois
Chris Henrey, Arizona

OT
Joe Staley                         

QB
Kevin Kolb, Houston
Jeff Rowe, Nevada
Jared Zabransky, Boise State       Late rounds/comp picks
Tyler Palko, Pittsburgh

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 09:36:08 AM »
The only safe bet in the nfl draft are safties imo. With QB's, I would like to take a proven free agent back up...He is just abot the same as a rookie but he has been in the leauge for 2-3 years and he know the ropes somewhat. And you get him for a lot cheaper. Wide outs arent safe pics no more (detroit lions and atlanta falcons can attest to that). Line men are the same way with me. I would get a proven vet in free agency. Or i would draft with the plan to keep the lineman on the bench for the first year or 2 or have him in the backup capacity. I agree with the notion that a team starts with the o and d line but i just wouldnt get them as rookies. Let someone else test them out. Its a crap shoot. But if i were a gm i would trade picks for players like crazy. The last raiders team to go to a sb  was made up of free agent picks at every number one position. If kiffen runs the same offense as at SC the raiders need WRS that strecth the field. And a couple of bookend tackles. And a heady qb. All can be traded for or aquired in free agency. i would have liked to see jake plummer with moss & porter.

Exactly, some guys are better to get as Free agents and QB's that you know might be better at this point. Jake and Moss and porter and someone like Ginn and a bunch of 2nd round picks would have been the way to go. Keep moving down until you can fill the most holes. Hell you know the redskins are dying to trade next years 1st and 2nd round as well as this years 1st to get Johnson, I would make that my first drop.

body88

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 09:40:58 AM »
If they take Johnson, expect them to show interest in Matt Cassel via trade. If not they get a vet and wait it out until next year when he is a fa.

body88

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »
Exactly, some guys are better to get as Free agents and QB's that you know might be better at this point. Jake and Moss and porter and someone like Ginn and a bunch of 2nd round picks would have been the way to go. Keep moving down until you can fill the most holes. Hell you know the redskins are dying to trade next years 1st and 2nd round as well as this years 1st to get Johnson, I would make that my first drop.

This is a good tactic, but with the salary requirements of the number one, and how much it is worth in picks, there are very few teams (if any) that would be willing to do it. Who is out there the Raiders can pick up? Culpepper would die behind that offensive line.

They could go after Matt Cassel via trade.  Doubt the pats would do it tho.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 10:01:29 AM »
This is a good tactic, but with the salary requirements of the number one, and how much it is worth in picks, there are very few teams (if any) that would be willing to do it. Who is out there the Raiders can pick up? Culpepper would die behind that offensive line.

They could go after Matt Cassel via trade.  Doubt the pats would do it tho.

Cassle is this years schuab. He has a few starts and looks good in pre season but no real experence but some team will cough up a 2nd round pick for him.

The redskins are very stupid regarding the draft and after that move the next slot is peterson and there are a couple of teams that want him. They could get down around 10 if they did not ask for the house and fill a ton more holes.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 10:05:42 AM »

That sounds really good.

body88

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 10:07:01 AM »
Cassle is this years schuab. He has a few starts and looks good in pre season but no real experence but some team will cough up a 2nd round pick for him.

The redskins are very stupid regarding the draft and after that move the next slot is peterson and there are a couple of teams that want him. They could get down around 10 if they did not ask for the house and fill a ton more holes.

I get your logic. It makes perfect sense. I just cannot see Davis not asking for the house, and the cars!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 10:11:07 AM »
I get your logic. It makes perfect sense. I just cannot see Davis not asking for the house.

See thats the problem with Jimmy Johnsons stupid chart, everybody is trying to make trades based on math not reality. It goes to something a car dealer once said, how do you know if the car you just bought was a good deal..If it was a good deal to you then it was a good deal.

I think this is going to go down as a depth draft. A bunch of good guys but between 16 and 45 all very close. why not try to get more then less. The first round is a crap shoot every year and the more you can get the better your chances. When everyone is on the clock and somebody is there that some other team thinks is the best and brightest then work the phones and do the deed no freaking chart.

body88

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 10:18:47 AM »
See thats the problem with Jimmy Johnsons stupid chart, everybody is trying to make trades based on math not reality. It goes to something a car dealer once said, how do you know if the car you just bought was a good deal..If it was a good deal to you then it was a good deal.

I think this is going to go down as a depth draft. A bunch of good guys but between 16 and 45 all very close. why not try to get more then less. The first round is a crap shoot every year and the more you can get the better your chances. When everyone is on the clock and somebody is there that some other team thinks is the best and brightest then work the phones and do the deed no freaking chart.

You make a great point there. Not to mention the chart value changes year to year. Unfortunatly that chart is valuable to teams who want to maximize there picks. I can jus see Davis howling how much his pick is worth, and what it would take to get it.

A player may be worth more the to the pats or the eagles, then any other team due to each others respective system. I remeber when the pats took Logan Mankins people called it a reach. Fact is Mankins is going to be a pro bowl player and has been a contributer since day one in there system. He played at a all pro level last year, so to us he was worth the pick. I am sure you have examples of the same situation for your team.